All I Wanted Was the Truth

All I Wanted Was A Good Nights' Sleep

I was lying across my bed, iPod charging on my computer desk, stereo playing Three Days Grace quietly in the background. The alarm clock next to my bed said 1:25am in bright red flashes. I sighed.

I put away my Math homework, already feeling regret at the fact that I'd only done the first three questions. I tried to roll quietly onto my feet from my bed, but failed horribly - I got partially caught in my blanket and landed on my head with a dull thud.

I heard a loud snore from my fathers' bedroom, and froze. If he caught me awake at this time of the morning, I'd regret more than my unfinished Math homework.

I waited a few more moments, and when I heard his snores come at regular, quiet intervals, I breathed a sigh of relief.

I stood up, stretching my aching limbs. My back cracked unpleasantly, but I ignored it.

I couldn't sleep. My head was pounding from trying to figure out algebra, my back and arms ached, and my bed was uncomfortable anyway. So, instead of attempting sleep, I kicked open my mini-fridge and peered in.

There were three apples, a six-pack of Coke, and some leftover pizza from dinner a few nights back. I grabbed a slice of pizza and a can of Coke, gulping down the flat soda eagerly. I also discovered a bag of "Assorted Nuts" in my backpack, and ate those, too.

I was sitting at my computer desk, looking at the label on the Coke absentmindedly. My iPod's screen finally read "charged". I unplugged it. My stomach grumbled hungrily, and I took up the bag of peanuts again. I looked more closely at its label, and snorted.

"May contain nuts", huh? Go figure.

I finished off the last of my cold pizza, tossed everything into the garbage, and looked at my bed reluctantly. 'Fine,' my mind seemed to say stubbornly. 'I'll go to bed, but I won't like it.' So I trudged forward and fell loosely onto the mattress.

I couldn't sleep a wink. I tossed, I turned, I kicked, I grumbled. Nothing helped my aching body.

Slightly angry, I threw a pillow over my face and forced myself to think about something random, something boring, something that would put me to sleep.

Biology, of course, was the first thing to come to mind. I went over metaphase in my mind: something splitting, going to the equator of the cell, moving apart... or was that anaphase? The one time I couldn't remember something Biology related... of course.

I tried to think of something else - what about the Cullens? They were acting oddly lately. Well, Edward and Emmett were, anyway. But that wouldn't put me to sleep, that was interesting, not boring...

Too late, though, my mind wouldn't let it go. Hard as I tried to think of To Kill A Mockingbird, or Romeo and Juliet, the subject of the Cullens was placed permanently at the front of my mind.

I gave in. My mind drifted to Edwards' odd behavior towards Bella Swan, the way he cringed away from her in Biology. That was weeks ago, though. Or was it? I didn't know, I was so bad at keeping track of time... Okay, well, what about Emmett's' concern for his brother? What about the way Emmett reacted to the topic of Rosalie, his girlfriend? All very strange, and all intriguing.

Just as my subconscious realized I was falling asleep, my eyes snapped open. I had heard a noise. It could've been in my mind, it could've been a branch hitting my window, it could've been an animal...

"Shit!" I sat bolt upright. Animals didn't cuss.

The voice had come from outside, and I rushed to my window. It was pitch dark out, and I had to squint to see outside. But a few minutes later, I had found it - the source of the voice. A big, bulky someone was creeping through my yard, trying to hide in the bushes, but he was too big for that. I assumed it was a 'he' because of the way it walked, and also its' build.

Something pulled and nagged me at the back of my mind, distracting me. The voice, my mind was telling me. You've heard it before.

Two things happened very quickly. One - I realized who had been sneaking around in my yard for no apparent reason. Two - he saw me.

He looked up at the window suddenly, supposedly realizing his mistake. I could see his eyes glowing golden in the moonlight, sending shivers down my spine. I stared back at him for a split second; and then he ran.

His speed took my breath away. One minute he was there, the next, all that was left was a pile of leaves rustling after him in his slipstream.

I dragged my feet away from the window, back to my bed, falling onto it. Its' lack of comfort was the last thing on my mind now. My mind was reeling with questions.

Why did Edward avoid Bella Swan so determinedly? Why did Rosalie look so angry that day at lunch? Why was Edward talking about me that very same day?

And why was Emmett Cullen in my yard at 2am?
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a fan-fic, so obviously NOT ORIGINAL. Stephanie Meyer owns everything with the exception of Kaya Davey.

All I Wanted Was A Normal Day precedes this.

Comments, suggestions, ideas all welcome.