All I Wanted Was the Truth

All I Wanted Was Some Rest

I walked into school the next day, mind buzzing with unanswered and possibly unanswerable questions. I was extremely distracted; I had even tried to eat a page out of the newspaper this morning while absorbed in my thoughts.

"Kaya!" Dad had exclaimed, staring at me with shock and disbelief. "Stop eating the sports section!"

Shaking my head slightly, I looked up at him with a wry smile. "Why, do the comics taste better?"

It hadn't quite soothed him about the fact that I was eating paper, but he did smile, so I was relatively safe.

So I had ended up leaving for school late, grabbing a power bar and rushing out the door. Dad saw me off, giving me a quick one-armed hug as I beelined it for my car.

I tried my best to pay attention to the task of driving, but it was a close thing. The only reason I hadn't hit that squirrel was because it was outside Chief Swan's house, and he was just walking out the door. I slowed down considerably as he gave me a warning stare.

I nearly walked into my locker, but stopped just in time. I turned the dial absentmindedly, pulling and tugging fruitlessly for two full minutes before managing to rip the lock off.

And, of course, everything fell out. Was I destined to be late for PE?

Apparently, I was. Just as I had picked up the last crumpled bit of History homework and stuffed it into my locker, the bell went. "Shit!" I yelled, to nobody in particular. I slammed my locker shut, hooking the lock in and hoping it would stay, and then ran, tripping every other step, for the gym.

I burst in through the double doors just as Coach Clapp was taking attendance. "Okay, so Kaya is abse-"

"Here!" I gasped, resting my hands on my knees while getting my breath back. "I'm here, Coach Clapp!"

He grunted. "All right, all right, you're here... now go change!" he barked.

I nodded silently, still huffing and puffing. I made my solemn way to the locker rooms.

It was empty, of course - I was the only one who was late. I went into a stall and changed quickly, actually succeeding in putting all my clothes on properly. I left my bag in a random locker and walked back into the gym. Everybody was already warmed up, and playing a game of Chowder Head. I was eager to join, as this was the only variation of rugby that I liked. Running down the court, having to catch the ball while landing on the mat... it was amazing.

I made my way toward the other girls, but Coach Clapp stepped in my way. "Not a chance, Davey. Ten laps of the bleachers. Go."

I groaned, staring fearfully at the bleachers. "Ten?" I whined.

"Wanna go for twenty?" he asked sweetly.

I paused. "Ten it is."

By the end of class, I could hardly move. After the ten laps, Coach Clapp had made me do a sit-up test, a push-up test, a chin-up test, and a bench press test. "Don't stop 'till you hit twelve!" he had ordered. My legs were burning, my back hurt, and my arms felt as though they had been drained of blood and filled instead with Jell-O.

I changed back into my street clothes with slow, careful movements. I didn't feel anything snap out of place, or crack open, or tear in half, so I decided I had done a pretty good job.

Everybody was out of the gym before me, already making for their next class. I was lucky today, though - I had a spare block. I could go back to my car and lie down until lunch.

I dragged my feet through the hallways, out the door, and across the parking lot. "Why do I park at the other end?" I muttered, irritated.

"Dunno, why do you?"

I jumped, and instantly regretted it. My legs burst into flame once more, and my knees buckled. I fell to the ground, gritting my teeth in pain.

I heard laughter to my left, but didn't bother looking up. I had recognized the voice immediately after I heard it, and at that moment, I wasn't really in the mood to joke around. I frowned at the cement.

"Aw, don't be like that." Emmett reached down and grabbed my elbow, pulling me to my feet. "Are you okay?"

I looked up at him, still frowning. He sounded concerned enough, but he was plainly holding back a smile.

"I'm fine." I replied quietly. I looked toward my car, edging every so slightly in that direction.

"Hey, wait!" I looked back at Emmett, whose smile was truly gone now. My annoyance disappeared for a split second, seeing the pout on his face, but my surprise snapped back to annoyance a second later.

"What is it, Emmett? I wanted to rest in my car before lunch." I looked again at my car, so close, yet so far.

It was Emmett who was frowning now. "Can't I just say hi?" he asked.

I sighed and tilted my head back, facing the sky. I was in no mood for this, but he hadn't done anything wrong. "Sorry." I mumbled, head still back, eyes now closed. "I'm in a bad mood."

"You are?" I heard his voice brighten, and looked back at him. "I mean, I could help you feel better. If you want." he added cautiously. He was biting his lip, once again fighting back a smile.

What's with this guy? I wondered, staring at the behemoth mountain of a friendly boy in front of me. I hesitated before replying, "How so?"

His smile broke out fully, and I shuddered involuntarily. "That means yes!" he said, grabbing my arm. "Come on!"

I tried to pull in the opposite direction, apprehensive as I was. "Wait - whoa - Emmett, where are you taking me?" I gasped, still trying in vain to escape his iron grasp.

"My place!" he grinned.

My jaw must've dropped right to the ground. I felt the blood drain from my face, and my mind went blank. His place?
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a fan-fic, so it's NOT ORIGINAL. Stephanie Meyer owns everything except Kaya Davey and her father.

This is a short Chapter - I'm just using it to transition into the next one, which will hopefully be longer.

All I Wanted Was A Good Nights' Sleep precedes this.

Comments and suggestions welcome and encouraged.