All I Wanted Was the Truth

All I Wanted Was Some Rest Pt. 2

I was in a daze for most of the ride - and I use the word ride here very strongly.

He steered me through the parking lot towards a shiny silver Volvo. "Isn't that Edward's car?" I had asked distractedly.

"Yep, but we're taking it for now. I don't think he'll mind..." He seemed to doubt this last thought, but brushed it aside. "Get in." he commanded, holding the passenger side door open.

Now, don't get me wrong - Emmett's a great guy. As far as I know. But somehow, the thought of letting Emmett drive a car that could go over 100mph scared me a little bit. But I got in, because I was fairly certain that I didn't really have a choice in the matter.

Three seconds after I had gotten into the Volvo, I knew why I was nervous.

Emmett was in the driver's seat impossibly quickly, the engine started, backing out of the parking lot - I must admit, he can be a good driver if he wants to be.

But after we'd left the parking lot, he didn't want to be a good driver.

He floored the gas peddle almost immediately, roaring past the other cars, swerving, merging without looking, the whole time laughing like a maniac.

I, meanwhile, was gripping the sides of my chair, eyes wide, wishing the 'ride' would end soon.

After a while, I realized I had shut my eyes. Apparently my brain wasn't ready to discern images flying by that quickly. So we might've hit a pedestrian or two, and I would never be any the wiser.

I was still sitting stock still, not daring to open my eyes, when the door next to me hissed open. "Um..." I heard Emmett say uncertainly. "Get out."

I cracked one eye open, and then the other. The car had stopped. It was over. My death-grip on the seat loosened, and I felt my fingertips tingling. My head was spinning.

"Get out." Emmett said again. I merely looked up at him, a mild look of curiosity in my eyes. He was frowning, brow furrowed, holding a hand out and nodding his head impatiently towards a house nearby.

My gaze moved smoothly over Emmett to the house we were parked in front of. In my current state of shock, my face didn't have the ability to express emotion - but my heart started pounding when I saw his house.

It was beautiful, with whitewashed walls and shining windows. There was no light coming from the house, though, and I supposed everybody must be at work or school.

I looked over to the garage and saw a huge Jeep sitting in front of it, too large to be parked inside. This car, more than anything else, really convinced me that Emmett Cullen lived here.

"Kaya..." Emmett whined. I looked back to him.

"Oh, no." I murmured, some sense coming back to me. "You resorted to pouting at me."

His lower lip trembled ever so slightly. "Is it working?" he asked pathetically.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes."

He grabbed my arm instantly, dragging me out of the car. He slammed the door shut with his foot. "Hurry up!" he continued to whine, pulling me and dragging me up to the house. "Come on!" I paused momentarily to look around, trying to get my bearings. It didn't work, however, because we were surrounded by trees and fields.

I skipped on ahead, tripping over my own feet. "All right, all right!" I said, shaking my head at him. "I'm coming, see?" I pushed him aside and ran up to the door in front of him. "Hurry-" I turned to tell him to hurry up, but stopped dead.

"Up?" he said smugly, standing right behind me.

I stared. "How did you do that?" I asked.

"Do what?" He looked away innocently.

"Stay caught up with me without me hearing." I was breathing heavily, hot in the face. He, however, didn't seem tired in the least. I had run a good twenty feet from a near standstill, and so had he, so if I was tired, he should be, too.

Emmett shrugged. "By running." He moved past me and opened the door. "Now come on already, I don't want to stand out here all day!" He entered the house ahead of me.

I followed, turning to shut the door. When I turned around again, my jaw dropped for the second time in so many hours.

The entire first floor was one room, painted all white. A grand piano, also white, stood to our left as we walked in. I stared straight ahead of myself, and uttered a gasp. "Whoa..." I moaned, stunned.

The entire back wall was glass. It opened out onto a wide, green field at the back of the house, revealing an astonishing view of the ice blue mountains beyond. I looked slowly back at Emmett, who was beaming.

"You live here?" I asked, eyes still open wide.

He nodded. "It's really nice, isn't it?"

I snorted. "That's an understatement." I looked past Emmett, to a grand staircase curving up to the floors beyond. "Wow..."

Emmett laughed at my expression. "Yeah, it's amazing." he said. "Okay, you've seen the house. Let's go."

I blinked. "This isn't what you wanted to show me?" What could be better than this? I thought.

He shook his head. "I sort of wanted to show you... I mean..." he paused, looking uncomfortable. This more than ever threw me off.

"What is it?" I urged. Maybe I was going to find out what was going on with Emmett and his brother, Edward. I moved a step closer to him.

Emmett sighed. "I'll show you before I tell you." He held his hand out once again, a strange look in his eyes.

I nodded slowly. "Okay." I took the offered hand and followed him back out of the house.

He led me out and around the house, to the back yard. Well, the back field. He glanced over at me. "You're not going to believe me even when I tell you." he muttered, almost to himself.

I frowned. "Believe what?"

He looked up at the sky, which was oddly bright for this time of year in Forks. I was becoming extremely confused.

He looked at me once again, a determined look flashing across his face. "Come here." He turned away from me. I walked up to stand next to him, but he pushed me back. "Get on my back... I'm carrying you." He crouched down so I could get on.

After hesitating briefly, wondering what on Earth was going on, I clambered awkwardly onto his wide back.

The first and only thing I noticed before he started running was how disconcertingly hard his body was. Not just the solidity of muscles; no, he felt like rock.

And that was all my brain had time to process before he took off.

He was running, without any problem, with me on his back. But that wasn't what got me. It was his speed. I couldn't see anything but a dizzyingly green blur all around me, rushing past at impossible speeds.

He must've been going faster than a dog, a bike, faster than he had been driving earlier in the Volvo.

No human could possibly run this fast.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fan fic - NOT ORIGINAL. Stephanie Meyer owns everything but Kaya Davey and her dad.

Please excuse grammatical errors.

All I Wanted Was Some Rest precedes this.

Comments welcome, wanted, encouraged.