Sequel: Horse Kisses
Status: There will be a sequel to this story, so keep reading!

Texas to Tennessee

Chapter Fifteen

“American Honey” was playing on the radio in the barn as Jackson lead me up to the loft. He said that the sun was burning my beautiful skin and he’d hate for me to turn into a lobster. I told him “how romantic”. Oh, how I loved that song though. I reminded me so much of myself. How I was a wild child when I was younger, how I used to face the wind and let it blow through my hair. I smiled, those were the good days. Jackson brought me out of my daydream with a kiss. He picked me up and laid me down on the sweet smelling hay. I didn’t even feel its bristles itching my skin. He hovered about me, only centimeters away from my face. Kiss after kiss. I think it was hotter in the loft than it was outside. Jackson rolled over onto his back next to me and closed his eyes. I did the same.
Back in Texas I had spent long hours in the loft. I used to hide there when I was angry or when I had to think about something important. It was the place where I could be alone. My safe place. Like now, I always had my iPod or radio playing in the barn, just as long as Levi wasn’t in the barn. (He was one of the pickiest, wildest, stallions on our ranch and he loathed music.) Back in Texas, I was a different person somewhat. Back in Texas I hadn’t felt loss but I hadn’t really felt love either. So I was happy with Tennessee.
When I opened my eyes my right arm was draped across Jackson’s stomach and my head was resting on his chest. I started to sit up and realized that his arm was beneath me. I smiled. This was just plumb adorable. I glanced out the window and saw Summer chowing down on some hay. I admired her for a little while. She obviously had a personality, one that reminded me of myself, actually. Maybe that’s why she’d been alright with me coming near her at Keller’s Ranch. I sighed one of those happy sighs. Judging by the sun it was probably around four o’clock. I peered over at Jackson again. He looked so peaceful, I almost didn’t want to wake him. But the thought of me sitting here alone sounded boring so I leaned close to his ear and said, “wake up.” He didn’t even stir. So then I put my hands on his chest and started rocking him back and forth saying “fire, fire! There’s a fire!” That woke him up good.
“Wha-?!? Fire? Where?” He sat right up, his eyes blazing and confused.
I sat back on my heels and laughed at him. He could be so goofy at times. I put my hand on his knee, “Jackson, there’s no fire.”
He slouched a bit. “So you were tricking me?”
One of my evil smiles turned on like a light switch. “Possibly.”
“Oh really? Well you’re going to pay.” Jackson leaned in towards me and I backed away.
“Uh huh. Sure you are.” I giggled and then hurried onto my feet and down the loft stairs. I head Jackson behind me hustling around in the hay, trying to follow my pursuit. I sprinted towards the tack room and shut the door. I had that anxious feeling you get when you’re hiding from someone and their right on your tail. I glanced around, looking for something to hide under or behind. There was a barrel of feed in one of the corners, quickly I pushed it up a bit and then got behind it, curling myself into a ball in hopes that he wouldn’t see me.
Just seconds after I had hidden the door of the tack room opened. Jackson’s boots made loud steps on the wood floor, I could feel them. He stopped walking and I guessed he was looking around for me. “Texas, come on. Where are you?”
I was silent, thoughts and scenarios running through my mind. I giggled and stood up. “Here I am!” I jogged to him and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Did yah miss me?”
Jackson smiled, “More than you could ever imagine.” He put both hands on either side of my waist and pulled me close.
I leaned up against his chest, breathing deep. He smelled really good. “You love me?” I asked suddenly.
“I do.”
I smiled a little. “Good.”

It was a week and a half later. The late June sun was boiling and unforgiving to those who forgot sunscreen. My dad and I had only spoken a few times since the night of my birthday. I suppose he was embarrassed for how he’d acted. I spent my mornings and nights with Jackson and Summer. One day, I went over to Jackson’s house to meet his family. His mother, Laura, was very nice, and she’d made the best sweet tea I’d ever tasted! Jackson’s dad, Paul, looked exactly like Jackson. It was a spitting image! Both of them were overly kind to me. It was obvious Jackson had talked about me to them though because I heard his dad say I was “prettier than he led on.” After meeting his parents, we went out to see his horses. Boy were they wonderful! I could see why Jackson loved them so. Even though I was more than welcome at his house we, Jackson and myself, spent most days either at my house and barn or at his special place and then of course I would occasionally go into work with him. But by the end of the week we were both sporting the best tans in all of Tennessee, and along with that, the radio had become our best friend.

“I’m riding her today.” I told Jackson as we sat on the fence overlooking my horse. I had a feeling about today. Something about it just told me that this was it. This was a good day, no, this was a perfect day for a ride.
Jackson nodded. “Want me to go get your tack?” He and I had had a talk about how he needs to stop worrying about me so much, because I was a big girl and I knew how to handle myself.
Shaking my head I said no. “I’m going bareback.” With a smile on my face I gave him a quick kiss and then hopped off the fence and into the pasture.
“Are you sure?”
I laughed and reached up to touch my hand to his cheek. “Yes. The first time I ride her I want to feel her. Really feel her moving, and I won’t have it any other way.” I was stubborn and Jackson knew that. He knew there was no way in hell he was going to change my mind and that if he didn’t like what I was doing then that was just too damn bad so, he smiled and told me to ride my heart out.
Walking towards Summer I felt excited and anxious. I was finally going to ride my horse for the very first time. I never felt this way when I rode Rowdy for the first time. I mean, sure I was always happy and free when I rode but this was different. It just was. Summer noticed me coming and she met me halfway. I swear she was smiling. “Hello beautiful.” I said to her. I kissed her nose and then made my way around to her left side. She was somewhat dirty, from rolling around in the dirt. I rubbed her and hung onto her neck, which she didn’t mind one bit. I talked to her. I told her that I wanted to ride her and that I had tried very hard to be patient and wait until she was comfortable in the pasture and in her new home before I went and jumped on her. I also told her that Jackson was watching and that I’d appreciate it if she didn’t buck me off in front of him. The last thing I wanted was for him to think I wasn’t cut out for this. I think Summer knew what I was saying because she stood completely still as I wiggled onto her back slowly. I held her mane in my hands and sat up straight. “Thank you.” I whispered. I made kissing sounds with my lips and squeezed my legs to make her walk. And walk she did. I warmed her up, letting her go wherever she wanted. I felt her shoulders moving beneath me. I glanced over at Jackson who was watching me proudly with this big grin on his face. He gave me two thumbs up. I smiled back and looked back to where Summer was going. Feeling confident, I squeezed her sides harder and clucked my tongue. She picked up a trot. I was used to riding bareback so the bumpy ride didn’t bother me one bit, and it didn’t seem to bother Summer either because when I asked her to run she did so perfectly. Jackson watched me as I flew through the different gaits with Summer. I’m not a conceited person, but I know I looked beautiful out there in that pasture, on that grass, dirt and hay, riding this beautiful, spirited horse who seemed to feel and act exactly as I did. I felt beautiful as I flew. I felt like a bird, having all the freedom of the sky and not having a single care in the world. I laughed, feeling wild. I guided Summer lightly with my hands but mostly with my feet, it worked better that way. After an hour Jackson waved me over. I turned Summer towards him and we walked over. She refused to go too close to him though. I guess she still didn’t trust him as much as I did. I leaned forward on her and patter her neck. “It’s okay girl. I promise. He won’t hurt you. He’s real good to me, you know.” I urged her again with my heels. This time she listened, but I could tell that she was nervous.
“Darlin’, that was incredible. You looked wonderful out there! How did it feel?” Jackson said, I could hear the happiness in his voice.
“Amazing! I’m gonna go some more,” I was just about to squeeze her again but Jackson spoke up.
“How about you cool her down and come to a thing with me tonight?” He took his head out of his hands and looked at me seriously. “Please? It would mean a lot to me.”
I sighed, reluctantly. Couldn’t Jackson see how much fun I was having? But I couldn’t say no. He’d been so patient with me and he’d waited around for me so I should do something for him. “What type of thing?”
Jackson grinned, “You’ll see.”
I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue at him. “Whatever.” I said playfully. I leaned down again to pat Summer and treat her for being such a sweet girl. “I’m going to cool her down, can you go put fresh hay and water in her stall?” Jackson nodded and slid off the fence. I had Summer walk again. I didn’t bother holding onto her mane this time. I knew that she wasn’t going to bolt. She was tired; she’d gotten a great workout. But I also knew that she was pleased with herself as well as me. After about a thirty minute cool down I swung my leg over her back and slid down to the ground. “You are perfect.” I told her as I kissed her all over her face and soft nose. “Come on, let’s get you to your stall. I think I’m going to be out late tonight, so I won’t be able to put you in at the regular time, I’m sorry.” Summer nodded as if she understood me and I started walking towards the gate. She followed me, just like I hoped she’d do. I took the spare lead rope off the fence and hooked it around your neck. It wasn’t the safest or smartest way to have control of a horse but it would work. I lead Summer out of the pasture and across the grass to the barn. She kept wanting to graze and I’d have to nudge her along and convince her that there was food in the barn. Finally, we got there. I let her lose once she was safely in her stall and I closed and latched the door after giving her yet another kiss on the nose. I looked around for Jackson. He was in another stall looking around at it.
“What are you doing?” I asked him.
“Just looking around. Y’all are going to need to get another horse soon so Summer can have company.”
“I know.” I out my hands on my hips. “So what thing are we going to?”
He smiled, “Let’s go back to the house and I’ll help you find something nice to wear after you shower.”
“I have to shower?”
“Yes. You can’t smell like a horse when we go.” Jackson was laughing at me.
I rolled my eyes. I never minded smelling like a horse. It’s how I smelt most of the time anyways. “Fine. Let’s go.” I took his hand and pulled him to the house. My dad’s truck was still in the driveway near mine and Jackson’s so I guess he hadn’t gone to work today. I walked inside and went up to my bedroom with Jackson following closely behind. I closed the door behind us.
“What are you doing?” He asked when I looked back at him.
“Closing the door.” I pointed towards my closet, “You can pick out my clothes if you really want to. My shirts and dresses and shoes are in there and my jeans and shorts are in that dresser. I’m going to take my shower.” I went into my bathroom, closing and locking the door. I washed my hair and body twice and once I got out I put lavender lotion on, making my legs and arms as smooth as a baby’s bottom. I walked out wrapped in a towel.
Jackson’s eyes popped. “Wow. Umm...” he stammered, trying to find words. “I got your clothes.” He held them out to me as his eyes focused on his feet.
I giggled. “Thank you.” I took the clothes and walked back into the bathroom to put them on. I pretended not to notice that he was watching me. I held up what he had picked out for me. It was a black top that had sequences stitched into it, I’d never worn it and then there was one of my favorite blue jean skirts. I sighed. I guess this was going to be a somewhat a formal event. I put the clothes on and then blow dried my hair. “Do I put makeup on?” I yelled to Jackson who was outside my door.
“Yeah! Put a little on.” He replied.
I did what he said and put some eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara on then, when I was happy with how I looked, I strutted out of the bathroom and did a little twirl in front of Jackson. “Do I look alright?” I asked, looking down at what I was wearing.
Jackson’s smile was bigger and goofier than I had ever seen it. “You look incredible.” He got up off my bed and put his hands on my hips. He leaned down and kissed my lips.
“Really?”
“Yes.” He whispered and then shut me up with another smooch.
After awhile I pulled away. “So where are we going? What type of thing?” Curiosity was getting the best of me and we all know what they say. Curiosity killed the cat.
Another smile. “I’ll tell you in the truck, now let’s go we can’t be late.” Jackson took my hand and led me down the stairs.
“Dad, I’m leaving! I’ll be back later!” I yelled into the what seemed like an empty house and then walked out with Jackson.

I loved riding in Jackson’s truck, even though mine was newer and better quality I loved how his had class. The second he started it up I asked him again, “Where are we going?”
He didn’t answer me until we’d gotten out of the driveway and onto the road. “We’re going to Dixie’s Tavern.”
Sadie’s evil face popped up into my brain and I wondered why on earth we were going to go to her parents restaurant/bar. “How come?”
“You’re going to sing.”