Sequel: Horse Kisses
Status: There will be a sequel to this story, so keep reading!

Texas to Tennessee

Chapter Two

My fingers urged to turn on the radio, but I knew that there was no way I could do that, not today anyways. When things were normal, we used to crank up the country radio and sing along at the top of our lungs. That was in Texas, and this is Tennessee. So, we sat in silence. It took about ten minutes for us to get from the house to the center of town.
“We could park here,” Dad gestured with his eyes at the parking space near the gazebo. “or we can just drive until we find the store. Which do you prefer?”
In all truth, I wanted to just find the store, but I had to be a good daughter. I just had to be. “Let’s park here. Then we can walk around and see everything.” I paused then forced “maybe we can get something to eat” out of my mouth.
I could tell he was super surprised, but still a smile came across his face, showing off his dimples. “Sounds good.”
We got out of the car and started walking around. The town was cute, it smelled like summer too, which made me almost like it. There was a guitarist on a street corner with his case open, reveling some loose change. He was good, I thought as we walked by. He smiled at me. I just looked away, I wasn’t ready for smiling yet. As we passed some stores I noticed how everyone seemed to know everyone. For example, I watched as two ladies, on opposite sides of the street yelled their “hello”s to each other. After walking for awhile I saw a sign that read “Barn Loft” and immediately knew that this was the place I’d visit frequently.
A little bell rang when dad opened the door for me. Stepping inside, I could smell hay and leather circulating through the air. There were racks and racks of men and women’s clothes, and on the wall were shelves stocked with boots. I walked further in and saw cowboy hats hanging on part of the wall. There seemed to be another room in the back, I glanced in it and saw beautiful saddles and newly polished bridles. I smiled. These were the things that really did make me happy. I walked up to this black saddle and ran my hand across it, feeling the texture and smoothness of leather. I took a quick look around, seeing no one, I put a foot in the stirrup and pulled myself into the saddle, being only ninety-five pounds I wasn’t afraid of breaking the post it was on.
“Having fun?”
Startled, I whipped my head around to see whoever was talking to me. On my right there was a tall, tan, brown haired boy. “Wha-” I hurriedly tried to get my feet out of the stirrups but somehow got tangled up, causing myself and the saddle to fall over onto the floor.
“Whoa there, little girl.” He bent down and put his hands out, “trying” to help me stand up.
My face was burning with embarrassment. “Sorry, I was just trying it out. Wait...little girl?!?” If there was one thing in this world that I loathed to be called it was “little”. I put my hands on my hips.
The boy chuckled and then flashed me this dimple showing smile. “I didn’t mean to insult you.” He held out his hand, “I’m Jackson Mitchell. I work here.”
I stared at his hand. He thinks he’s hot, I figured. I started walking away to find my dad. There was no point in talking to some guy who thinks he was hot and funny, even if it was true.
“Wait, where are you going?” His voice was thick with a southern accent... the more I looked at his face the more I thought he was cute. No! I cannot get myself into this.
“To find my dad. He’s in here somewhere.” I started to walk away again.
“Is he a man with grey-ish hair and has a blue shirt on?” Jackson asked, running his hand through his own hair.
“Yeah...how’d you know?”
“He told me he was stepping out for about an hour, he got some phone call.” Jackson was smiling again.
“But-” I began to talk but this rude, know it all in front of me interrupted.
“He also said that you loved stores like this and that you would probably spend all day in here.”
I smirked. “I guess he was wrong.” I marched out of the room filled with saddles and just as I was opening the door Jackson spoke again.
“You’re new to this town.” It wasn’t even a question. I told you everyone knew everyone.
Sighing, I stopped and turned around to face him. “Yeah, so?”
“So nothing. You’re new, and we got off to a bad start. Can we start again?” This time, I noticed his eyes. They were a dark brown, just screaming mysterious and sweet at the same time.
I glared at him and he glared at me. Finally, for an unknown reason, I gave in...but just a little. “Fine.”
“Fine?” He repeated, his eyebrows raising.
“Yes. Fine.” I walked over to the clothes and started picking my way through the rack.
Jackson was starring at me, I could feel it. He couldn’t have been more than a year older than me, so why wasn’t he in school? And why was he so...ugh! He was different than Chance. With Chance, I couldn’t get mad because then he’d get mad and I would end up apologizing for things I hadn’t done. But this boy had nearly laughed at my anger.
I finally looked up. There he was, leaning against a counter, starring at me. It was creepy. “What the hell are you looking at?!”
With another smile he said back, “I still don’t know your name.”
I rolled my hazel eyes. “Why do you want to know it so badly?”
“So when you leave, and I think about the girl who fell off a saddle that wasn’t even on a horse I can put a name on the face.” He laughed and walked over to me.
“You are such an ass.” I simply said, shaking my head.
“Just tell me your name, please?” He leaned his face in front of mine, his dark eyes starring into my own. He was looking so intently I was afraid he was sucking all the secrets out of me.
“It’s Ali Grey.” I gave up. “Happy?”
“Ecstatic. Is Ali short for Alison?”
“No. Just Ali.” I kept my eyes on the t-shirts in front of me. Why was he so interested anyways? My stomach growled.
“Hungry?” He asked.
“No.” But in disagreement my stomach growled again.
Jackson smirked, “I have some food behind the counter and some soda too.”
“I’m fine.” I said, trying to keep my stomach from growling again. I glanced at Jackson as he walked away. He was wearing a black t-shirt, light, worn out jeans and some muddy boots.
He went behind the counter and pulled out a sandwich and a soda. He looked at me. I sighed and reluctantly walked over to him. “Where are you from?” He asked.
“Why do you keep asking me all these questions?”
“Actually, I’ve only asked two. You’re name and where you come from.” He flashed a smile. “You must be from a southern state.”
“Why do you say that?”
“Because you’ve got a southern accent, and the tan of someone who’s outside a lot.”
“What does a tan have to do with it?”
“Look at your muscles, they prove that you either work out a bunch or you spend a lot of time with horses. And when you spend a lot of time with horses, you’re outside a lot.” He was holding onto my arm, checking out my muscle. To be honest, I was a little creeped out that Jackson had been able to figure out a part of me without even me telling him.
“Okay, you’re good.” I smiled, and held out my hand.
Jackson tore his sandwich in half and handed me some. “It’s a skill. I’m good at figuring out pretty girls.”
I blushed and took a bite of the sandwich. He raised his eyebrows. I knew what he wanted to hear. “Did you make this?” He nodded, taking a bite. “It’s good. I love peanut butter and jelly.” Jackson laughed. I smiled again. “So what’s your story?”
“My story?”
I nodded.
“Well, I’ve lived in Tennessee for my entire life with my mom. I ride in rodeos on the weekends, and I am sixteen years old.” Jackson took a swig of his soda, finishing it off. “How old are you?”
“Fifteen. I turn sixteen in a few weeks.”
Jackson nodded.
There was a minute of awkward silence and then the little bell from the door rang out and my dad walked in. He was wearing a big smile and a new cowboy hat. “Howdy”
I giggled. “Hey.”
“You ready to go? Did you get anything?”
“No, I’ll come back another time.” I walked towards the door.
“Okay then. Let’s go get some lunch.” Dad said, then he turned to look at Jackson. “Thanks”
Jackson nodded, ‘No problem sir.” Then he winked at me, giving me his mischievous smile.
After my dad had walked out, I looked back at Jackson. “Texas. I’m from Texas.” The door’s bell rang as the door closed behind me.