Sequel: Horse Kisses
Status: There will be a sequel to this story, so keep reading!

Texas to Tennessee

Chapter Three

After lunch, dad and I walked back to where we had parked the car...except it wasn’t there. In it’s place was a silver pick up truck. I stopped walking. “dad? Where’s the car?”
He smiled, “right here.”
My mouth dropped in surprise. “But... the rental...”
He was chuckling a bit at me. “I called the dealer when we were in the Barn Loft and had them deliver the truck today. Do you like it?”
“I love it!” And I did. Back in Texas we’d owned two trucks but the hope of ever having one again had disappeared when we moved. I jogged up to the truck and after dad unlocked it I got in the passenger side. It had that new car smell. Dad got in the driver’s seat and cranked the diesel engine. I closed my eyes and listened to it.
Just like the ride to town, we were silent on the way back home. But this time it wasn’t as awkward. When we got onto our gravel driveway I opened my eyes. The house seemed bigger than it had earlier. I got out, thanked my dad for the day and then went up to my room. Jackson was on my mind. Who did he think he was? Asking me all those questions about who I am and where I came from. But...he had made me laugh, which was more than anyone had been able to do, even Chance. I sat down on my bed and took out my phone. Nothing. I knew my girl friends wouldn’t call because I’d pushed them away and said some pretty nasty things before I left. I laid down and got underneath my covers. It was only 6:30 pm but I was utterly exhausted from the day.

I slept for two days straight. Really, I did. I know this because dad came in three to four times a day to bring me food. But I wouldn’t eat it because my stomach wasn’t hungry, which is something that hardly ever happens. I missed my mom. In case you haven’t realized this yet, my mom died.
On the side table my phone rang, I lazily looked at it wondering if I even wanted to see who it was. Finally, I grabbed it and saw it was Chance. Again, my heart started pounding hard in my chest. “Hello?”
“Ali! It’s Chance.” He sounded cheerful.
“Obviously.” I replied, not showing any sign of happiness to hear him.
Anyone could hear him smiling through his voice. “I haven’t talked to you in awhile. How are you?”
“I’m doing wonderful,” I said sarcastically, “how are you?”
“Same here. Sarah and I went to the water park yesterday, you so should’ve been there!”
“You went with Sarah?” There was this sinking feeling in my body, as my heart continued to beat harder and faster.
“Well, yeah.” He spoke like it was perfectly fine. “But I was thinking about you the entire time. I kept wondering what you were up to.”
For some reason I had a sudden flow of courage. “Chance? Are you cheating on me?”
There was a moment of silence, then “What?! Why would I cheat on you?”
“Chance you don’t have a sister, yet you said that the girl giggling next to you was your sister, and now you and Sarah, my ex-best friend, are all buddy buddy?” I was almost yelling by now.
Chance took a deep breath, “Ali...”
“No. I don’t want to hear it.” I said, completely frustrated and lost. “I think that a long distance relationship is too much. So...It’s over.” I stopped after my last word, not believing what I’d just said, but it was too late to take them back, and honestly, I didn’t really want to. “Goodbye Chance.” I hung up the phone, and then starred at it. I grabbed my iPod and put on Carrie Underwood’s “Starts With Goodbye” feeling exactly like the the person in the song.
“I guess it’s gonna have to hurt, I guess I’m gonna have to cry.” I sang along, swaying to the music. I glanced out my window and saw the barn. I had this urge, this urge to just get on a horse and ride away. But I couldn’t do that until I had a new horse, since Rowdy was sold back in Texas.
“and let go of somethings I’ve loved, to get to the other side” Not many people get the chance to start over, but I did.