Sequel: Horse Kisses
Status: There will be a sequel to this story, so keep reading!

Texas to Tennessee

Chapter Five

When my white, almost familiar, house came into view I slipped my feet back into my shoes and un-did my seatbelt. “Just go park in the grass near the barn, that way we can unload everything easier.” I noticed that my dad’s truck was still gone, meaning he was still at work. And also meaning that I was alone, at my house with a boy I’d only met twice.
“Will do.” He pulled over next to the barn, and got out. I started opening my door as well, but he ran over before I’d opened it completely. “I’ve got it” and then he opened my door for me. Was he for real?
“Thanks...” I said uncertainly, jumping out of the truck. I walked beside him as we went towards the back of his truck to unload everything. As I was grabbing for the saddle his hand brushed up against mine. It was like a heat wave had just washed over me, and it wasn’t from that Tennessee sun. Jackson looked at me but I just pulled my hand away.
“Okay, it’s cool. You don’t like other people touching your saddle, I get it.” He raised his hands in a surrender motion and went for some fly spray instead.
I rolled my eyes. “That’s not it. I just want to put it away, that’s all.” I cradled it once again in my arms, holding it’s beauty against me, and then began to walk towards the barn. “This way!”
I pulled back one of the doors using my elbow, which was not exactly easy, but I still did it; and then strolled inside the barn. The smell of hay surrounded me, causing me to inhale deeply. I heard Jackson come in behind me, but I didn’t turn around.
“Whoa, this is a nice barn.” He said, passing me. “Where’s the-”
“It’s over there.” I nodded towards the almost hidden door in the wall, which lead to the tack room. I went over there as well, stepping up a small step.
The tack room was a medium size. On one wall there were four posts pointing out from the wall; they were for saddles. And on another wall there were four oval hooks; used for holding the bridles. In the corner, there was a small white desk, it looked a little vintage, but I couldn't wait to sit down at it and work. Jackson went to the shelves that were in front of the desk and began putting some items on there. I watched, intrigued at the way he placed them just as I would have. Was there a way he could read my mind? I shook my head, and just figured that maybe we were alike.
“Maybe you need some fly spray.” He joked, picking the bottle up and pretending to squirt it.
I glared at him. “Why?”
“Because you’re always shaking your head. I mean, what’s the deal with that?” He smiled, his dark eyes dangerously piercing mine.
I avoided those eyes and went to put the saddle I was holding on one of the posts. “Let’s just hurry and get all the stuff out of your truck.”
“Why the rush? You’re acting like theres a race or something.” Jackson said as we walked back outside.
“I just don’t think you should be here when my dad gets home.”
“Oh, so you are just using me! I knew it.”
I was silent. We both went back and forth to the barn, bringing in the items and putting them in the middle of the floor. I had told him that I wanted to put it away myself. He’d just given me a weary look and agreed. Once we were all finished, Jackson got in his truck.
“Wait...I think I forgot something.” He got out again and began to jog back to the barn. I watched him run in those cowboy boots and almost smiled. He was a pro at it.
When I got into the barn I didn’t see Jackson anywhere, which freaked me out a little. Maybe I was living in some horror movie, where a girl moves to a small town, mets a seemingly nice guy, and just when she starts to enjoy his company...
“Texas!”
I was dragged out of my thoughts. I looked up, which was the direction Jackson’s voice came from. I didn’t see him, but I could tell he was in the loft, so I climbed up too. “I thought you said you forgot something? You weren’t even up here earlier.” As I reached the top of the ladder I saw Jackson kneeled by the small window. “What are you doing?”
He glanced over his shoulder at me, and then back outside. “Look at this view.”
Reluctantly, I crawled over and looked to see what he was talking about. Jackson was right. I had to agree. The window over looked the pasture, and maybe it was just the way the sun shone on the grass, and the way the fences made those shadows, or maybe it was how the trees lazily blew in the soft breeze that made the sight so beautiful. “wow.” I said, impressed.
“I told you.” He leaned back on his heels. “Can I ask you a question?”
I hesitated, “sure.”
“Why are you so distant and scared?”
I frowned, and let my eyes drop down on the floor beneath us.
“Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a little chase, but why are you the way you are?” His head cocked to the side like a puppy dog.
After a moment of dead silence, I replied. “I guess because I’ve learned that people who say they’ll be there...won’t.”
Jackson nodded, “Listen, there’s a party going on down by the creek tomorrow night. Wanna go with me?”
My head jerked up. Going to a party with Jackson? Hmm...The thought of turning the offer down crossed my mind, but then I figured that maybe I should go. I gave him my sweet, southern, dimple showing smile. “I’d like that.”
“Really? Great!” He sounded surprised.
The look in his eyes made my heart start to pound, and from what I can remember about boys, that’s a good thing. So I decided to go out on a limb. “Hey, can you help me put all that stuff away?” I motioned down to the floor, at that big pile of barn items I’d bought at the Barn Loft.
With a smile Jackson nodded, “sure thang.” Gosh that southern accent was such a turn on.

He crawled down the ladder first and then held out his arms. “Jump!”
“What?!?” I exclaimed. Obviously this boy had lost his mind.
“Just jump Texas. I’ll catch you.” There was something trustworthy about his voice that made me believe him.
I closed my eyes and leaned backwards. I heard a swoosh of air past my ears, and it felt like my stomach dropped to the ground and then...I was in Jacksons arms.
“I told you I’d catch you.”