Sequel: Horse Kisses
Status: There will be a sequel to this story, so keep reading!

Texas to Tennessee

Chapter Seven

I was so thankful that dad had let me borrow his truck. Because if I had had to go there with Jackson then I wouldn't be able to leave if the party was boring or if I started to feel awkward being there. The only warning dad had given me was not to get caught by the police because they'd ask for my license and I didn't have that yet. But Jackson told me not to worry, police down here don't really give a damn if you have your license or not. I guess that's a good thing. As I got closer and closer to the creek I could hear the mixture of diesel engines being cranked up and the country music being blasted from, what seemed like, every stereo in town. While driving down that dirt road I realized that there weren't any street lights or harley any road signs. It's like, everyone in town just knew where to go. Maybe this place wouldn't be so bad after all. I thought back on the night before, when Jackson had sat in my kitchen eating an early dinner with dad and I. We must've covered every topic under the sun and it seemed like we still had things to talk about. Could it be that I was falling for this small town southern boy? I smiled to myself, thinking “no way!” Even if I was, it wouldn't matter. Jackson didn't seem like the type to stay with just one girl.
As I began to get closer and closer to the creek I could see a large light, coming from a bonfire, lighting up a circle. Almost everyone there had some type of truck, in some different color, and everyone’s radio was on the exact same station. A small smile crept upon my face as I pulled up. I saw long shadows of people dancing near the fire and I could hear the laughing of girls as boys flirted with them. This, was a real honky tonk.
I turned the truck off, locked it up, and literally jumped down from the drivers seat. With a deep breath in, I started walking towards the fire, keeping my eyes open for Jackson. I hadn’t seen him yet, but I did see a table filled with burgers, BBQ, and some sweet tea. I got myself a burger. I took a bite. That had to of been the best burgers I had ever tasted.
“Is it good?”
I turned around to face the voice. It was a girl, about my age. She was wearing cutoffs, white boots and a belly shirt. I swallowed the bite. “Yeah, it’s great.”
Her smile was almost too white. “Thanks! My parents made them. They own Dixie’s Tavern downtown.”
I nodded, unsure of what to say since I’d never been there.
“You’re new here, aren’t you?”
“Yeah. I’ve only been here a week and a half.”
the girl started to braid her hair to one side. “Well, I’ve lived here my whole life, and I love it. Oh, by the way, the name is Sadie. Sadie Hampton.” She held out her hand.
I shook the hand. “I’m Ali grey.”
When I told her my name her eyes sort of light up and then she looked me up and down, checking out what I was wearing. “Oh, so you’re the girl Jackson was talking about.” She eyed me some more.
Curious about why Jackson had been talking about me, and what he had said, I got up the nerve to ask, “He talked about me?”
“Oh yeah. But don’t feel flattered. Jackson talks about any girl he lays his eyes on.” Sadie’s judging eyes swept over the scene in front of us. “Oh look! There he is now, talking with Mary Lu.” Sadie looked back at me with a smug smile. “Well, I’ll see you around.”
I watched as she skipped away from me and towards a group of boys who were fighting over the beer cooler. There was this sinking feeling in my stomach, and sudden;y I didn’t want to be there anymore. But I guess that choice wasn’t up to me because the next second someone was tapping my shoulder.
He was blonde, tall, but not taller than Jackson. He had green eyes, and he had freckles. “Would you like to dance?”
I was taken back. But something inside me made me say yes because I was suddenly dancing with an unknown boy. At least it was to one of my favorite songs, “Only You Can Love Me This Way”.
“I’ve never seen you around here. Where do you come from?” He asked, placing my hands on his shoulders, while his went down to my hips.
I kept my gaze away from his eyes, afraid that maybe he’d hypnotize me. “Texas. I just moved here.” I went ahead and asked. “Where do you come from?”
“I was born here.”
“That’s what everyone says.” I pointed out. I could just see Jackson and Mary Lu over the shoulder of the boy whom I was dancing with.
“That’s because most people who live here were born here. Not many people just decide to move to Ridgeside.” The boy’s body was pressed close to mine.
“What’s your name?” I asked, realizing I didn’t know it.
“Tyler Sanders. And yours?”
I had zoned out though, barely hearing him. I watched as Jackson began to walk our way. “Ali Grey.” I managed to get out before my mouth went complete dry. Jackson was getting closer and he had his eyes locked on mine. The song came to an end and I moved away from Tyler quickly. “Thanks for the dance, Tyler I’d love to talk but I’ve got to go.”
I could tell my walking away offended him but I had no choice, I had to get away from Jackson before he pulled any more of his southern, good-lookin’ boy tricks on me. I wasn’t even completely sure why I was mad, or running away. I guess it was all I knew how to do these days. I scampered behind the nearest truck, and crouched low next to the back tire. I saw Jackson glance around, obviously looking for where I’d gone. I sat back on the ground and leaned against the tire. “What have I gotten myself into?” I spoke to myself. By now, the radios were blaring another fast dancing song. I peeked out from behind the truck again. I caught a glance of Sadie grinding up on two boys right in front of the fire. Rolling my eyes, I looked around to find Jackson. I wanted to know where he was so I could make a break for my own truck. I didn’t see him.
“Looking for someone?”
A voice behind me made me whip around in fear. There, in front of me, looking down on me, stood Jackson. “Ugh! Go away.” I started to stand up, feeling like my mission had failed epically.
“Whoa, Texas! What’s with the angry face?” Jackson blocked me from moving.
I looked at my feet, “nothing.” I tried to side step out but he grabbed my wrists. I looked into his face, and saw pure confusion and worry. “Just leave me alone Jackson. I know your type.”
“My type? What are you talking about?” He frowned.
“Sadie told me all about you and your player games. I thought that was for city folks, but I guess I was wrong.” I spat the words, making sure every one of them had a painful edge. I pulled at my wrists, in attempt to make him let go, but all it did was cause him to hold tighter.
“Sadie? What? What’d she tell you?”
“It doesn’t matter. I don’t want anything to do with you and your sick little games!” Angry tears were threatening to spill. I had opened myself, just a teeny tiny bit up (which was more than anyone had gotten these days) to this boy and he’d ruined it.
“Texas, it does matter. It matters a lot.” Jackson said seriously.
It was too much for me. “She said that you’ve got yourself a lot of girlfriends, and that I was nothing special.” I shook my bangs out of my eyes, and looked into his eyes; they looked sad.
Jackson loosened his grip on my arms, his shoulders almost sank, he glanced down and then with a swift movement he’d pushed me up against the truck door and had planted his lips on mine. They were soft and warm. I squeezed my eyes shut, barely realizing what was happening. I just stood there, too shocked to do anything.
It was over too soon. Jackson looked at me, then at my lips then back at my eyes. He gave me a small smile, “Sadie’s wrong.”
“About what?” I whispered, unable to speak at a normal volume.
“You are very special to me.” Jackson winked, and then walked away, leaving me wanting more.