Pretend.

Smile.

Great, it’s fucking raining. I checked the watch on my wrist, trudging along in the ridiculous crowds that always cluttered the streets of New York. It was fine just a few minutes ago, after I’d left my apartment, but now it decided to rain. The weather man lied to me. Douche.

I’d stopped six times and had attempted to hail six taxis, but apparently, I’m invisible. Fuck New York. I was going to be late for work. I almost stopped to wait for a bus, but decided against it, figuring that I’d probably be better off just walking the rest of the way.

Somehow, along the way, one of my friends from work actually caught up to me, managing to find me somewhere inside the giant clusterfuck of people who were also trying to get wherever the hell they needed to go. Maybe because he looked like a six year old who’d lost his mommy.

“Hi Zack!” he greeted excitedly.

“Go away, Johnny,” I growled, not even bothering to look over at him. He never really understood the concept of listening to me.

“How ya’ doing, buddy? Mondays are always fun,” he said, this…horrifying smile plastered on his lips.

“What are you, part of the lollipop guild?” I asked sarcastically, rolling my eyes, beginning to walk a little faster. Maybe if I went really fast, his short legs would keep him from catching up with me.

“Hah, yeah. Mondays.” Why the fuck did he have to be so cheerful all the time? Did he just get a lot of ass or eat straight up sugar for breakfast? I didn’t get it.

“Johnny, as your superior, I am insisting that you stop being so fucking happy.”

He just kept talking and talking, jabbering about this and that, none of which I could bring myself to give a damn about. I didn’t understand people like him. How did he bare to wake up every morning, put on a suit, walk outside in the rain, and go to a shitty office job where he had zero freedom, yet still be so enthusiastic about life? It was fucking creepy.

I didn’t understand why everyone couldn’t just be like me. Happy people pissed me off. Especially the ass-kissing type. Johnny wasn’t so bad, but I hated having people pop in and out of my office every day, constantly asking over and over again if I needed something done. I liked Johnny, because he had the balls to ignore me. Everyone else was so serious about everything. I couldn’t tell anyone to suck my dick for fear that they might actually get on their knees and do it. Unless it’s that hot secretary on the second floor. I wouldn’t have minded that.

Begrudgingly, I shared my umbrella with Johnny, unable to let such a nice kid come into work drenched. He never stopped smiling. It kind of freaked me out. There was never a time where I hadn’t seen Johnny smiling.

I heard people screaming. What the fuck was going on? Johnny and I both sort of realized at the same time, and looked over to the street, just in time to see a bus hydroplaning, swerving every which way before it started tipping over, surviving on two wheels for a moment before collapsing on its side.

That was the first time I’d ever seen Jonathan Seward frown.