I'm Back

The Oneshot

Frank Iero was standing by the river looking at the stepping stones and remembering each one. There was the round unsteady stone, the pointed one, the flat one in the middle - the safe stone where you could stand and look around.

The next wasn't so safe for when the river was full the water flowed over it and even when it looked dry, it was slippery. But after that it was easy and soon he was on the other side.

Frank pulled a lose thread at his hoodie as he walked up the familier road. The road seemed more fierce than usual but Frank payed no attention to it as he walked along feeling extraordinarily happy.

He was so lost in his thoughts that he almost walked straight through a load of flowers and cards on the corner of a bend.

The young boy shook his head and carried on walking. Frank came to the worn steps that led up to the house and his heart began to beat. The treehouse was missing but the pine tree was still there and at the top of the steps the rough lawn stretched away, just as he remembered it. Frank stopped and looked at the house which looked like it hadn't been painted in a while.

Quickly, Frank recognised the two people under the big mango tree, one had black hair and had his knees tucked up to his chest, the other looked as if he was comforting him.

He waved at them and called out "Hey guys!" but they didn't answer or turn their heads. The grass was yellow in the hot sunlight as he walked towards them. When he was quite close he called again, happily "You alright?" Then "I'm back!"

Still they didn't answer. When for the third time "I'm sorry I left, but I swear I'm back!" Frank was quite near them and his arms instinctively went out, with the longing to touch them.

It was Gerard who turned. His usually bright eyes, dull and looking straight into Frank's. his expression didn't change.

Gerard sighed and then spoke quietly.

"It's gotten really cold all of a sudden, you notice Mikey?"

"Yeah, let's go inside"

Frank's arms fell to his side as he watched their images disapear into the house.

That was the first time he knew.
♠ ♠ ♠
For those who may not get it think about it and then here's a hint:
It was supposed to be about the supernatural. If you still don't get it read down...

[Frank is a ghost]