Late at Night...

14

Chapter 14:
Jess’s POV:
Gerard entered the room, startling Sonny and I who had been asleep on the lounge. We hadn’t heard him enter. He walked gracefully up to Sonny and I and spoke, which is what woke us up.
“You want to see your friends?” He asked casually.
“Where are-Wait, friends? Plural?” I cut myself off halfway through my sentence.
“Yes, that’s right. Plural. Follow.” He ordered.
Sonny and I got up and followed Gerard. He lead us out of the room and through a series of dark corridors until we entered a large cave like area. A wave of relief swept over me when I saw the familiar face of Abbie. And Zanita? Was that her over there, tied to the pole? Why is she here? It was definitely Zanita, I realised as we got closer.
“Jess! Sonny!” Abbie cried, happy to see us but at the same time scared for herself and us and Zanita.
I didn’t reply. Neither did Sonny. I suppose neither of us really knew what to say. We got closer and then Emma appeared.
“What the fuck do you want?” Sonny snapped at Gerard and Emma.
“Silly boy. Too young and foolish to know to keep his mouth SHUT!” Emma replied.
“Precisely my point. SHUT UP BOY!” Gerard added.
These vampires sure had attitude problems…
“Take her away!” Gerard screamed, looking at Abbie.
Emma obeyed Gerard and hastily untied Abbie then took her out of the room.
“Let me go!” Abbie protested.
“Let go of her!” I screamed, though I knew it was pointless I couldn’t just stand there as I watched one of my best friends get taken away to God knows where. I went to move forward but Gerard blocked my path. I went to step around him but he moved in my way again.
I wouldn’t have given up but I knew it was pointless. He was a vampire. I was no match in speed or intelligence to him.
Once he saw I had given up he pushed me to the ground. Sonny went up to him and he pushed him to the ground also.
He went up to Zanita and began to slowly untied her ropes. He had untied one hand when I got up and began to run towards him and Zanita and Sonny did the same. He left Zanita’s side and in an instant he was right in front of Sonny and I, pushing us to the ground again.
He went back to her and we were up again, running. He hadn’t untied her other hand yet so she was still attached to the pole. Gerard had obviously gotten sick of us and grabbed some ropes from a pile about ten metres away and grabbed my arm with one hand and Sonny’s arm with the other.
He dragged us over to the pole Abbie had been tied to. He tied me up first, my wrists feeling the scratchy rope get wrapped around them. He then pushed me back with an effortless movement and my head slammed against the thick pole. I felt the blood running out of the back of my head. I was tied up now and he began on Sonny.
Sonny tried to escape from Gerard’s grip but it was too firm. He tied Sonny up to the same pole as me then walked over to Zanita.
He untied her other wrist and threw the rope behind him. His back was to us and the rope landed about five metres from us. He and Zanita were only about eight metres away.
He put his hands around Zanita’s throat and began to strangle her. I could see her struggling to breathe.
He lifted her off the ground, his hands still firmly around her throat.
She couldn’t breathe. I saw her choking, gasping, trying to inhale.
She couldn’t.
I looked at her, my eye makeup running and staining my cheeks, and she looked back at me. Our eyes met. Her eyes were filled with fear.
That was the last time I ever saw her alive. Her body went limp in Gerard’s grip and my tears flowed stronger now. He threw her roughly to the ground. Carelessly.
I screamed things at him. I hated him. I HATED HIM!
Zanita and I weren’t the best of friends but we were still friends and it was the most terrible thing I’d ever seen to see her die. No, not die, be murdered.
By him. I was so stupid to ever like his music. To ever think he was just a regular guy.
He was a stupid vampire who had just killed my friend.
I wanted to kill him.
I screamed at him even more, even louder. Sonny was trying to calm me down.
“Fuck off!” I yelled at Sonny. Gerard approached me. I had stopped crying now and was just angry. Very angry.
“Get the fuck away.” Sonny yelled at Gerard.
I looked over at Zanita’s lifeless body. I had never been more angry at anyone in my life. And to think that the person I hated most was once someone I looked up to…