Late at Night...

18

Chapter 18:
Jess’s POV:
Luckily, we saw them before they saw us. I was the first to see them, after I’d just turned the corner, and I stopped abruptly, taking slow steps backwards. Sonny noticed me stop and did the same, Abbie however kept walking. I pulled at the back of her shirt and managed to stop her before she rounded the corner.
Of course, we had to be absolutely silent, no talking, no whispering, which made an escape even harder. Abbie turned to face me and I signalled to both of them that there were vampires out there, two of them. We had to mouth words each other, since we were trying to be as quite as possible so we could save our asses.
“What do we do?” Sonny mouthed to me.
“You’re asking me!?!” I replied.
“They’re coming.” Abbie chimed in - though neither of us heard.
“We have to do something.” Sonny stated the obvious. My reply was delayed as I was once again distracted by his bare chest. Shut up! I mentally yelled at myself. Stop getting distracted by his chest, gosh, just because he’s sexy - SHUT UP!
“Um yeah.” I said.
“Guys, they’re coming.” Abbie mouthed urgently. We both heard this time.
“Shit. This way.” Sonny replied, leading us in the opposite direction the vampires were coming from.
Meanwhile, in the cave-ish room.
Emma’s POV:
I arrived to see Gerard tied up to one of the columns.
“Thank God you’re here, Emma, oh Emma, they, they tied me up.” Gerard stuttered.
“I don’t care Gerard. You killed that girl, you broke our agreement!” I hissed.
“Em, I’m sorry, ok, now just untie me.”
“No! You’re not sorry and you’ll just do it again, no! I’ve had enough Gerard, you can stay there until you’ve learnt your lesson, and if you never learn it you’ll be left to rot just like the girl you murdered.” I stomped away. I was angry, yes. I fled to our room and rest.
Jess’s POV:
We ran swiftly away from the approaching vampires. Abbie was exhausted, you could tell, and looked like she would collapse at any second. Sonny’s neck appeared to have stopped bleeding now, and the blood that had raced down his arm was drying.
We reached a fork in the corridor and by the looks of Abbie we needed to hide, not run. I didn’t know how, where, but Sonny was the genius, taking his blood drenched shirt from his neck and threw it down one of the corridors.
Was he trying to distract me? Now it just was his chest, no chance of him putting a shirt back on, not that I had a problem with that…that is the problem.
But no, he was trying to save us.
I looked at his neck. Some fresh droplets of blood oozed out of his wound.
“Oh God, Sonny, that looks painful.” I whispered.
“Yeah it is. Now let’s go.” He ordered.
He was the one thinking logically…unlike someone…
He basically dragged Abbie along, she was so weak now. I don’t know how, with everything that was happening, I got time to think, but I did.
I was running along the dark corridor, admiring Sonny. And no, not for his prettiful chest this time, for his courage.
He had a nasty sliced up neck, we were in a place full of vampires, yet he was thinking so logically, so sensibly, he was saving Abbie and my asses. Without him, we’d both be dead.
That night, when he came to my house, soaking wet, was the beginning of him saving my life, Abbie’s too. Actually, it didn’t even begin then. It began when he was born, continued when he decided to be himself despite what everyone else thought, it continued further when we met, and when our friendship grew. When he met Abbie, when he saved my life once before, but that’s a whole other story.
It was truly terrible that we couldn’t save Zanita, but we tried our best. Without Sonny, Gerard would have killed me too, and then there would have been no one to save Abbie.
I owed him my life.
It was at that moment I decided I’d do anything to save him. I would be tortured, I would be held captive.
I would die.
For Abbie’s sake, as well as Sonny’s. Sonny would have a far greater chance of saving Abbie than I would.
If the situation were reversed, I would not want him to save me. I’d want him to go on and live life, be happy, meet a nice girl (or guy, whatever), have some beautiful kids (or adopt them if he marries a guy, even though he’s not gay…now), grow old, and die in his sleep, surrounded by those who he loves and who love him just as much as I do.
God, I’ve got to stop, not only am I sounding super corny, but I’m not thinking, using my brain to help Sonny with our escape. He was carrying unconscious Abbie. I went to his side, taking some of Abbie’s weight, not that she weighed much.
We rounded a few corners before stumbling upon a giant door, guarded by three vampires.
Sonny and I need not speak - I swear we have some sort of psychic connection or something - we rested Abbie on the ground, hoping for a better outcome then the last time.
We approached the vampires without a plan. I don’t think either of us has a clue what we were doing, but we knew we had to take out the vampires blocking the entrance.
Sonny wrapped an arm around one of the vampires necks and forced him backwards, slamming him into a wall. I put both my hands together and stiffened my arms, hitting the female vampire over the back of the head. I must have actually done some damage, because she fell on the ground. I looked around, expecting the other vampire to attack me at any second, but I instead saw him lying unconscious on the ground.
Sonny had beat me to him, thank God.
I saw the other vampire, the one Sonny had managed to slam into the wall, go for a hit at Sonny but he’d obviously miscalculated the aimed punch and missed. Because Sonny’s so short. I didn’t have time to focus on that, on any of that, as I noticed the female vampire clambering to her feet. I kicked her hard in the stomach a few times, making sure she couldn’t get up. If she got up I’d lose the upper hand, and probably die because of it. I swung a kick at her head, hard enough to cause her to pass out on the floor.
I looked around, turning all my attention to Sonny and his vampire. The vampire has Sonny pinned against the wall, his fangs growing, his eyes ravenous, his head leaning in to Sonny’s neck.
I didn’t have much time to think of what the best thing to do was, but I had a slight formation of a plan. I ran as swiftly as I could and did the only thing I could think of that had a slight chance of working. As the vampire’s head advanced on Sonny, I went behind him and aimed a kick for between the vampire’s legs.
It worked, he collapsed to the ground, moaning in pain, and Sonny ran to retrieve Abbie’s unconscious body as I watched the vampires, breathing quickly, so quickly it was kind of hard to breathe.
I ran to the door, and to my relief it opened. We ran out into the night. We had no idea where we were, but we didn’t care.
We were out.
We were free.