Late at Night...

Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

Abbie’s POV:


I awoke with a fright, screaming, and sitting upright in my bed. Moving too fast, I hurt my side. It was just a nightmare. Just a nightmare. But it was so realistic. And why did it keep haunting me? I’d been having a series of nightmares, continuing on from the previous one each night. This one was the most frightening yet, but I had a feeling tomorrow’s would be worse. They had been getting more frightening, more violent, more detailed, more realistic every night.

Abbie, you’re going insane, I told myself. Though I wasn’t so sure it was wrong…

I looked around at the familiar surroundings of my bedroom. It was strange but I checked that everything was still in order. Bed’s still here. Lounge is still over there. Bookcase right there. Lamp switched off. Book from last night next to lamp. TV antenna sitting funny so I can get reception. Me. Everything seemed ok.

I settled back down into bed but couldn’t sleep again. I squinted to see the clock in the dark. One of these days I’ve got to get one of those digital clocks with the time that is lit up so you can see it at night. The time read 3:30, or roughly that. I picked up the book on my bedside table, switched on the lamp and began reading. I was reading the book without reading the words. I just read. My mind wasn’t focussed. On anything but the dream.

***Later***

It was 11:00am now, and my friend, Zanita, was scheduled to come over to my place for a while. She arrived at 11:07 and came up to my room. We began watching TV. Nothing much was on so I told her about my dream. I’d told her about my other dreams, too. She also thought they were strange and wondered why I was having them.

It’s not like I was the kind of person who was into dark things, like death, blood, and the supernatural. That was the opposite of me. I didn’t listen to dark music, I preferred stuff like Justin Timberlake and Shakira’s music. I wasn’t a Satanist. I believed in God. But since the dreams my faith had been fading…

I’m falling apart and I don’t know why.
All I want to do, need is to cry.
I need a shoulder, a hand.
Before the dreams take me round the bend.
I’ll never return, you’ll never see my face again.

That is something my other friend Jess has said before. I think she made it up on the spot one day, out of the blue. She’s not freaky dark, but she’s more dark than I am. So why am I the one getting these dreams? I hadn’t told Jess about these dreams, only Zanita. I could trust Jess, it’s just that I was afraid that she could do nothing but deepen my wound further. That sounds terrible, I know, but, it’s just lately she’s been scaring me a bit. I think she’s like obsessed with that band, what’s it called, Chemical Romances? Something like that.

Zanita and I resumed watching TV, but my mind was not on it.