What You Never Thought I'd Become

Chapter 1: Weak

Chapter one:

Nicodemus’s POV:
(Note that it’s in Nicodemus’s POV unless I say it’s not)

I lay in the middle of the side-walk on the dark street. The night is at it’s darkest hour. Drunks stumble past me, laughing as they go, one kicking me in the side of the gut. I let out a slow howl of pain. I roll over, my side hurting, my black hair ruffled.

The streets are quiet. Now facing the road, I look out to it and beyond. The buildings on the other side of the street were dark. A cheap hotel directly opposite me had a flickering light on the porch. It was getting on my nerves.

Not that that was my main concern. I was in far too much pain to worry about that.

I heard a gunshot that had been fired, perhaps a few blocks away. A scream filled the air. Another gunshot fired, then silence.

I didn’t like being this weak. Ever. But being in such a cheap part of the town made it worse, gunshots every so often, drunks stumbling past me every half hour or so, each finding a new way to cause me more agony.

The night was slipping away. I knew that if I didn’t move before daylight I would not survive.

I sat up, moaning in pain as I did so. I weakly lifted the ring of garlic off my neck, throwing it as far as I could, which wasn’t very far in my weak state.

But it was far enough for me to reach down and pull out the foreign object that stuck out from my flesh just a few centimetres from my heart.