What You Never Thought I'd Become

Chapter 2

Chapter Two:

I looked out of the small gap in the wood at the outside. I was in a small shack. It was terrible. It was messy, and sharp pieces of metal stuck up from every direction around me.

Ugh. Daylight. Who needs it? Not me. Not my kind. Not vampires. Thanks to this stupid daylight I’m trapped in this stupid shack until nights comes again.

If anyone comes in, I’ll just have to take care of them, won’t I now? I’m not hungry. I don’t need to feed. It’s been a while but I can last a few more days. And I will. No...maybe not...I don't have to resist and I can feed now if I wish.

I only feed when I must, not for the mere pleasure of it. That’s how we’ve been brought up, me and my eight vampire siblings. We only eat to stay alive, never for any other reason, except of course the occasional unfortunate circumstance when we have to kill to get out of a tricky situation involving humans.

I sat in the shack, doing nothing, for a few more hours until I got sick of it. I was bored. Bored and vampires are never a good mix.

I wanted to kill.

I decided it would be alright, since I haven’t fed for a while, and I will have to in about two days anyway, so while I’m stuck here I might as well make the most of it. Besides, after my encounter last night, I had been weakened, and craved a feed to replenish my strength.

I couldn’t go out in the sun. I had to lure one of them to me. I thought about the best way to do this and decided on a plan.

Curiosity killed the cat. An old saying. But true for this human if my plan went accordingly.

I banged lightly against the side of the shack a few times. I then let out a low, dog-like howl. I felt stupid, acting like a dog, pretending I was a dog, a poor stranded dog, locked up in a shack, with no food or water. I heard the two voices outside stop.

It worked. One of the humans came right up to the shack. “What’s in there, Bill?” The other human said, from a further distance.

I let out a few loud panting noises, like a dog would. “I think there’s a dog stuck in here, mate.” the human said, shuffling his feet a little.

Humans have such pathetic hearing. I could hear every breath he took, every slightest movement he made.

“It’s a hot day, Bill. Should get him out of there before he carks it.” The other one said, taking two steps forward.

The door scraped against the ground as the human slowly opened the door. I jumped to the roof, getting a good grip with my palms and feet.

He walked in, slowly, cautiously, shutting the door most of the way behind him. He was about to open his mouth to speak when I pounced down onto him.

I heard the last breath he ever took. It was a choking sound as I snapped his neck with one hand.

Not only do humans have pathetic hearing, but they also are pathetically weak.

I sank my teeth into his neck. The first drop of his blood that I tasted sent a wave of excitement through my body. I began to drink more, the blood trickling slowly out of his lifeless body.

I was interrupted, however, by the other human, curious, investigating where his friend had gone. I had almost completely forgotten. My reflexes were far quicker than his and I snapped his neck in an instant, before he even knew what was happening. I went back to my original meal. Damn. His blood was going cold.

They are always nicer fresh, when the blood is at it’s warmest. The blood cools rapidly and soon it’s nothing but food, no longer a thrill, an excitement, an experience that you could never tire of.

I wandered over to the other human, and began to feed. I didn’t need any more but he was already dead now and I do like the flavour of the blood. The sweetness, the bitterness, the mixed flavours that are the best taste of anything in this whole world.

I threw the two bodies to the corner of the shack. They were useless now that I’d drained their blood.

I sat in the opposite corner of the shack and waited for the time to pass and night to return.