Sequel: All Through the Night

Gunshot

A Moment

He held the gun out before him.

Steady.

His eyes were dead. That was what he told himself. He told himself that he didn’t feel anything. That wasn’t true though. He felt many things. None of those things were pleasant either. He was furious. He was depressed. He was hurt. He was dead. He was on fire. His heart was ice.

It was a complicated mess of emotions that he refused to admit to. Instead he stood there, a moment frozen in time. He could see Sam’s face, Sam’s life, flashing before his eyes. It hurt. God it hurt. It hardened him even more. His jaw was stiff. He would have revenge. It was all sitting here before him in this moment between moments.

His only true regret was that he hadn’t been there to save Sam. He hadn’t even been there to watch his brother die. He wasn’t sure which part bothered him more. It didn’t matter now though. That was what he told himself as he thought of the bloody body that had been his brother.

He had tracked this thing for months until he had finally found it. Found it and learned how to kill it. Tracked it and hunted it ready for this one moment.

His finger began to tighten his finger on the trigger. This was what it had all been for. He didn’t regret the months of ignoring his father’s phone calls. He didn’t regret the nights of no sleep and the times when he had rejected the company of a pretty woman in place of research. It had all been worth it.

The gunshot rang out through the enclosed room. A small circle of blackness appeared in the things forehead even as he began to lower the gun.

“Dean? Dean!”

He groaned as he rolled over in bed and looked up at Sam. “What the hell?”

“Dude, you’ve been sleeping for almost twelve hours,” Sam told him shaking his head. Dean blinked confusion covering his face for a moment before he pulled Sam into a tight hug. He heard Sam groan and push against him. “Dean! Dean! You’re choking me!”

He pushed his brother away and nodded curtly. “Alright, enough of this sentimental shit,” he growled. “We’ve gotta get on the road Sammy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A one-shot dedicated to our dear silk tea.