Sequel: I'll Hum Along

This Masterpiece Will Fall Apart

Happiness is a Rarity

“Josh! Come here please!” I yelled at Josh, who was lost somewhere in the new house. We had FINALLY decided on a place, which almost took three months. It wasn't huge, but it was still big. I was in the kitchen, trying to put all of the food away, but, seeing as I was so short, I couldn't reach the cupboards to put things away.

Josh came running into the kitchen, looking flustered. “What? Is everything alright? Are you okay?” Josh asked. I stared at him. I held the can of soup I had in my hand up so he could see.

“I just need help putting these away.” I waved the can at him. Josh sighed, looking relieved.

“Oh, okay. I thought something else happened...” Josh said, taking the can from me.

“If something else happened, you'd know.” I said. Josh half smiled at me, and I opened another box that contained food. I looked over at Josh, who was leaning against the counter staring at the can of soup. “Josh, sweetheart, is everything okay?” Joshes head snapped up and he looked at me, as if he just realized I was there. “The tomato soup can't really be THAT interesting, can it?” Josh set the soup can in the cupboard.

“No, no...I, uh...” Josh scratched his faded blue head. “I'm just a little worried about Matt, that's all.”

“Why? What's wrong with Matt?” I asked.

“He's just been kind of distant and stuff.” Josh explained. “I haven't really seen him in a while.”

I put both hands on my hips. “Well, I wonder why we haven't seen him Josh.” I said sarcastically.

“What is that supposed to mean Josline?” Josh asked.

“You know what it means Josh. It's Casey!” I said.

“Oh, come on. You've met her, what? Four times?”

“Alright, answer me this then; how often have you seen Matt since he started dating Casey?” Josh was silent. “Exactly! You don't see him anymore. She's controlling and manipulative.” I had only seen Casey a few times, and each time, I always got a bad vibe from her. She only ever wanted to be around us for a few minutes at the most. “I mean, I'd understand if Matt is just completely infatuated with her and wants to spend all his time with her, just like how you and me were for the first while we were together, but if it were that I think Matt would just come out and tell us that, but he doesn't.”

Josh ran his hands through his hair, making it stick up on end. “Well, I don't know what you want to do about that Josline.” Josh sighed. “I mean, if that is what's happening, we can hope Matt will come to his senses about it. He's a level headed guy. He should be able to get his shit together.” Josh said, putting more cans in the cupboard.

“I think I'll just go talk to him tomorrow and see what's going on.” I shrugged. Josh just nodded and we moved on with putting things away.

I went to go get Finley from Airin and Marques the next day. Marque was the one who opened the door, and I was shocked to see his hair was dramatically shorter than the last time I had seen him (it was quite shaggy and long – for a guy- but now it was trimmed up, and he had a lame little fauxhawk). “What did you do to your hair?” I said pulling at one of the little spikes on his head.

“I had to get it cut. It was getting a little too long for me.” Marque said hugging me and then letting me into the apartment. “Wait until you see your brothers though.”

“Oh God, what did he do?” I asked. Airin then walked out of the bathroom and I nearly had a heart-attack. His hair, which was brown when I saw him a few days prior to that, was now blond, and I had never seen it blond. “Airin McClane! You're blond!”

“Josline Marie! I am.” Airin said.

“It...it looks surprisingly good on you.” I said. “Why did you go blond?”

“Well, I wanted to just go a little lighter, but something fucked itself up and now I'm blond.” Airin shrugged. “The social service worker seemed to like it.”

“When did you meet with them?” I asked.

“About two days ago.” Marque said.

“And?” I was bouncing with anxiousness.

“We get to go pick up Kaylee tomorrow.” Airin smiled at me. My eyes grew and a smile spread across my face.

“Oh, my God! That is so great you guys!” I hugged Airin and then Marque. “Oh, this is exciting!” I turned back to Airin, smacking him lightly on the arm. “See, didn't I tell you everything was going to be alright?” Airin laughed and rubbed his arm.

When I got Finley I took him right over to Matt's, who was entirely excited to see Finley. Matt gave Finley some paper and pencil crayons so he could draw at his small table. I sat down on the couch and Matt sat next to me. “So, what's up?” Matt asked me.

“Well, I haven't seen you in about two weeks. I was starting to wonder if everything was alright with you.” I replied.

“Yeah, everything's fine.” Matt said. “Why would you have to be worried?”

I sighed. “Please don't get mad at me Matt, but Josh brought it up, and, well...” I fiddled with the zipper on my jacket, avoiding eye contact with Matt.

“Josline, what is it?”

“We just haven't seen you much since you started dating Casey.” I blurted out. Matt looked a little confused.

“I know that.” Matt said. I looked at him, shocked.

“You...you know that?”

“Yeah, I do. I know I've been spending a lot of time with Casey.”

“Well, it just worries me, because the few times I've met her, she's been very distant and cold.”

“That's just how she is though Josline.” Matt defended her. “What exactly are you getting at here?”

“I think Casey is just very demanding and controlling.” I admitted sheepishly. Matt cocked and eyebrow at me. “Please don't be upset with me or anything Matt.”

“Why would I be upset with you?” Matt questioned.

“I...I don't know. I was just so shocked when Josh told me you were dating again. I mean, I expected it to happen, but it was just a little...” I didn't know how to describe it.

“Weird? Off-putting? Unexpected?” Matt smiled at my sympathetically. “I know you're just looking out for me.” Matt put his hand on my shoulder.

“I just want you to be happy Matt. “ I said, starting to get a little teary-eyed.

“Why are you getting upset?” Matt said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. “There's no need to.”

“I'm sorry. I'm pregnant and hormonal and upset. And everything is just doubled right now.” I explained, and Matt just chuckled. I rested my head on his shoulder. “You are happy, right?” I asked.

Matt was silent. I looked up at him, and he looked heavily concentrated. “Yeah. Yeah, I am.” he smiled at me.

I really didn't know if I could believe him or not.