Sequel: I'll Hum Along

This Masterpiece Will Fall Apart

Parental Units and New Friends

The next few weeks started to get to both Josh and I. With my due date approaching quickly, Josh was on edge, almost never leaving my side, or calling me every 20 minutes when he was at his studio. He had to leave for a few days to play a show in Toronto, and he said his hand hovered over his phone every few minutes. My parents drove down so they could be there at the hospital, because out of all 3 of their grandchildren, they had not witnessed the birth of either of them (mostly because two of them were adopted).

Josh and my dad were trying to get the twins' room all put together, which, was ultimately failing. I heard more swearing coming out of that one single bedroom then I had ever heard in my life, but it didn't help that my dad was a very impatient man when it came to building things. Mom offered to help at one point, but they said that they could manage, which my mom just laughed at. Mom was very good with her hands (she was brilliant when it came to painting or drawing, which is where I assumed I got it from), but, men being men, refused to be outshone by women. Dad barely liked it when mom corrected a grammar mistake of his in a plot outline for a story.

Mom came into the living room with a cup of tea for me, which I refused at first, but she said it would be good for me. I set it down on the coffee table before going back to my laptop. Mom sat down next to me on the couch and saw that I had multiple tabs open, one for the bands website, Fancorps, and a few other things that were considered “work”. “Don't you ever stop?” mom asked me.

“This is the first time I've actually been on the computer in a good 3 days.” I told her. “And besides, this keeps my mind off of things.”

“What things?” Mom asked.

“Well, it could possibly be that your two grandchildren are going to be born in a few days.” I told her.

“Oh, there's nothing to be worried about. I'm sure everything will be fine.” Mom reassured me. I somehow didn't believe her, but then again, I was often paranoid about every little thing.

“I'm hoping. I mean, everything has been good so far. I've been...” I was cut off when Josh swore loudly from the other room. “trying to stay stress free. And I actually appear to be on schedule with this time around.”

“You know,every set of twin in our family has been born at least a week late.” Mom said absentmindedly. I stared at her.

“Why would you tell me that?” I asked her. She shrugged and sipped her cup of tea. “These two have been comfortable for too long.” Mom chuckled lightly. The doorbell sounded and mom got up to answer it, knowing that I honestly refused to move unless I had to. She returned with Zack trailing behind her. There was also another girl that I had never seen before. Mom took her tea and walked back into the kitchen. I smiled put my computer down and smiled at Zack, who came over and gave me a hug. I looked over to the girl I had never seen before. She was very pretty, with long wavy brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. “I'd get up to say hello, but honestly, I don't feel like standing.” I joked. The girl smiled at me. She moved towards me, with her hand stuck out.

“I'm Stephanie. Stephanie Eaglebrook.” She greeted.

“Stephanie's a family friend, and she's visiting for a little while.” Zack explained.

“I might even find an apartment here if I'm lucky.” Stephanie added.

“Which would be great, because I haven't seen her since we were 16.” Zack enthused. He looked like a kid with a cookie talking about her. Josh came out of one of the bedrooms, and saw that Zack and Stephanie were there. He walked over to Zack.

“Good, Zack's here.” Josh said. “Also, hi. I don't know you, but nice to meet you.” he said to Stephanie. “I need your help Zack.” Josh said.

“Okay, with what?” Zack said.

“No time to explain. Just come.” Josh said, grabbing Zack's arm. Zack looked at me strangely and I just laughed and shook my head. I turned my head back to Stephanie and told her to sit down, which she did.

“So, Stephanie, how do you know Zack?” I asked her.

“We were neighbours until I ended up moving away to Toronto with my grandparents. We were really good friends, but we stopped talking to each other up until two years ago.” She explained to me. “He's always been very sweet to me though.”

“I want to know more about Zack! This could be interesting coming from a childhood friend!” I said, becoming excited.

“Oh,okay. Well, what would you want to know?” Stephanie asked.

“How many siblings does he actually have? I know he's the youngest, but I don't know how many Angelo's there are.” I said.

Stephanie laughed, “There's eight, four boys and four girls of them in total. Now, don't laugh, because some of them do have VERY traditional Italian names, but from oldest to youngest is Adam, Catorina and Cosima, who are twins, Eva, Vanni, Giada, Marco, and Zack.” Stephanie said, listing each one off on her fingers. “Zack doesn't even have an Italian name. He kind of got ripped off on that one. Now, the age difference is a bit of a doozy. Adam is 36, the twins are 34, Eva is 30, Vanni is 28, Giada if 24, Marco is 23 and Zack is 20.”

“Oh jeez.” I said. “That is a doozy.” I thought my mom and uncle were far apart in age, but the Angelo family is a whole different story.” I said, and Stephanie laughed. “What's his dads name? He's never talked about him before. I don't think I've even seen pictures of him at all.” Stephanie's face grew dark. “Oh, have I said something wrong?”

“Domenico was his name.” She said.

“Was?”

“Yes, was. You see, he passed away when Zack was 6. He always acted like it didn't bother him, but I think it did. He always acted out in school and he was constantly in trouble.” She explained. “I really think out of every one, his dad's death hit him the most, because everyone else had already had time to get to know him, and Zack only knew him for a few short years.”

“Oh wow...he's never talked about that.” I said.

“I really think he hasn't with anyone. He keeps things bottled up. That's where his writing comes in. He writes fantastic short stories and poems, albeit a little morbid.” Stephanie smiled slightly. I was learning all these things about Zack that I never even knew.

“I'll have to bribe him to show me some of his writing.” I smiled, and Stephanie returned it. “So, what about you? What about the mysterious Stephanie Eaglebrook?”

“I'm from Newfoundland, as you know. I like to think I'm very kind and giving. I lived in Newfoundland for 16 years until my grandparents gained custody of me. It was a real messy ordeal; too many details. I was working as an “alternative” model for a while.” she said. That would explain why she was so gorgeous, I thought. “But, then I decided that's not what I wanted to do, so I stopped that and started school to become an Elementary school teacher.”

“Oh, that's interesting. Why did you decide to be a teacher?” I asked.

“Why did you want to be a musician?” She asked. I knew it was rhetorical, but it still threw me off a little. “I was passionate about it. I've always loved kids, and I felt that it would be good for me. Modelling was just kind of a hobby. I liked it, but not enough to actually stick with it.”

“Well, from what I can tell, you'll be a fantastic teacher. And, if we ever need a model for our store, I'll know where to look.” I smiled at her, and Stephanie's cheeks turned a light shade of pink. “I think you have the perfect image for some of the bands clothes. I'll have to point you in the direction of Keith if you feel up to it when we have new stuff. He does all the photography for it as well.”

“I'll definitely think about it.” Stephanie smiled at me. “I do love some of the shirts on the site.”

“That's good then!” I said. “So, you and Zack...are you two...” I made strange hand gestures at her.

“What? Me and Zack? No way! We're just friends, and I think he likes some other girl.” She said. “He was talking very highly of someone named Bianca the other day. Apparently she's a real catch.”

“I'm actually really glad to hear that.” I smiled.

“I am too. I've known him for such a long time, and I know he has a history of being the, to quote your brother-in-law, “wham-bam-thank-you-m'am” type. I mean, he was kind of like that when he was 15. He was always seeing different girls, but I didn't think much of it. It was who he was. But when I started talking to him again, he told me that he had been depressed for such a long time after his dad passed away, and that's why he acted out so badly, because he wanted attention. He wanted people to notice him. And after his accident, he wasn't really the same. He easily agitated, and he never was before.” Stephanie explained. I had no idea that Zack was like that. He always seemed very chipper and warm whenever I talked to him, even if he was in a seemingly bad mood. Stephanie the smiled slightly. “That's why I need to thank you.”

“Thank me? Why? What did I do?” I asked her,

“Zack was depressed up until he played his first show with you. He was honestly getting to the point of not wanting to be around any more. But him, being in the band, and travelling with you...it's really saved him. This is the best thing that's happened to him in a long time.” Stephanie smiled at me. Zack then came back out of the room shaking his head.

“What happened?” I asked him.

“Nothing. Your dad and Josh are still fighting with all the furniture and stuff. They had me helping. I'm not very good with my hands though.” Zack said.

“I AM!” Mom yelled from the kitchen. Zack jumped at the sound of her voice.

“Jesus, she sounds terrifying.” Zack said. I laughed at him. “What?”

“Oh, she's downright horrifying sometimes.” I snickered.

“For such little women, you are nasty at times.” Zack said and I glared at him. “And scary when you do that.” Stephanie chuckled. Zack turned to Stephanie. “We should probably get going if we want catch that movie in time.” he told her. Stephanie nodded and stood up.

“Well, it was very nice meeting you Josline.” Stephanie smiled. Zack gave me one last hug, and I held onto him.

“Josline, you have to let me go.” Zack said. I held onto him a little longer before I let go.

“I'm just glad you're okay.” I smiled. Zack looked confused as he stood up straight.

“Um...alright?” Zack eyed me suspiciously and said goodbye. Both him and Stephanie left. I heard Zack ask Stephanie, “What did you two talk about?” as they were leaving. I just smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, hey! How about a little insight into Zack's past? I've been working a lot on developing his character lately.
Also, who's getting excited for the Ramsby (remember this?!) twins to arrive?!

ps. potentiallywritingasixthinstallment