Sequel: I'll Hum Along

This Masterpiece Will Fall Apart

Birthday's and Tattoo's

Planning a 6th birthday party was a lot of work. My parents were coming down for Christmas, so they figured they'd be here for Finley's birthday as well (even though Finley's birthday was on December fourth). Chris and Sam were also going to be coming up to Vancouver, but they were going to be around on the 20th. They sent their birthday wishes to Finley, however. I had to take the twins over to Eloisa's, because it would of been too much excitement for them, what with a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds running around. It was also really hard to believe that they were already 5 months old.

Finley was sitting in the living room with all of his new toys, going through each one and deciding which one was “better.” My dad kept saying things like, “oh, but this one makes noise!” or “this one lights up!” and even, “this one will annoy your mum!” but Finley wasn't buying it. He wanted to choose for himself. My dad, Josh and Matt all eventually ended playing with Finley's new Lego set when Finley got bored of it and moved onto the next thing, and they started building a Lego “man-cave”. I rolled my eyes at them and went to get the twins. When I got to Eloisa's house, she answered the door and let me inside. She told me Autumn was sleeping, which I was glad to hear, because she was very rambunctious and liked to be awake. I saw Zack sitting on the couch with Kodiak in his lap. Zack had both of Kodiak's hands in his and he was moving his arms up and down and singing a stupid little song to Kodiak. Kodiak was giggling his head off. I leaned against the frame going into the living room; Zack looked briefly up at me, then back at Kodiak.

“So, when are you going to join your siblings and give your mum grandchildren?” I asked him.

“Oh, be quiet.” Zack said,

“Oh, come on Zackary.” Zack looked up at me, his eyes narrowed. "You don't want any kidlets of your own?"

"No." Zack said firmly. “I'm just content with looking after him.” Zack said the last few words in a “baby-voice”, wiggling Kodiak's arms again. Kodiak giggled again. Eloisa came out of one of the rooms holding a very sleepy Autumn. I took her, carefully trying not to wake her. Eloisa said she was going to take a nap and said goodbye to me before going back into the room from which she came. “So, how was the party?” Zack asked.

“Having a bunch of six-year-old's running around? Awesome.” I gave Zack a thumbs up, and he obviously knew I was kidding. “Matt, Josh and my dad were all making a Lego “man-cave” when I left. Zack chuckled.

“Well, why wasn't I invited then?” Zack asked.

“You were. You just had doctors appointments all day.” I said. Zack nodded. “How did they go, by the way?”

“Just fine. I got my leg tightened up, so the actual part of my leg is a little sore.” Zack explained. “I might need to get a new one of them though.” Zack said, referring to his prosthetic leg. “They said I could get another tattoo print one if I wanted.” Zack smiled.

“Are you going to do that?” I asked him.

“Yeah, probably. I just need to draw up some designs.” Zack said, now bouncing Kodiak on his knee. “I was thinking I'd get an actual tattoo.” he said.

“Yeah? I need to get a few more.” I said.

“But you're already covered in them!” Zack said.

“I only have 9! And they're all pretty evenly spaced out. Besides, I need to get the birth-dates of the twins on my wrist.” I said. “I have Finley's on there. I need the other two.”

“Yeah, I guess that makes sense.” Zack said. Kodiak made a weird noise at him when he stopped bouncing his knee. “Oh, alright.” Zack said, bouncing his knee again. Kodiak started to smile and giggle again.

“So, what did you plan on getting for your first real tattoo?” I asked him.

“I'm not sure. I think I'd get something along the lines of a a fishing hook.” Zack looked at me.

“Why a fishing hook?” I asked.

“Before my family moved to Canada, my dad's family owned a fishery. My dad would come home from school, and go straight to work with his dad and brothers. When he and my mom moved to Newfoundland, that's what my dad did. He opened up his own shop. I would go on fishing trips with him sometimes too...” Zack smiled lightly.

“Why didn't you ever tell us about your dad?” I asked him. Zack looked up at me, and then at the floor.

“I didn't think it was that important to tell.” Zack said. “No one really asked, so I never brought it up. And, it's not exactly the best conversation starter. 'Oh yeah, my dad died when I was six.'” I some-what frowned at him.

“What happened to him, if you don't mind me asking?” I asked Zack. It took him a while to answer.

“He had been really sick since I was about two. He had this thing called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, which pretty much means that your body will make you violently throw up for no apparent reason. It's just sudden, and happens whenever, or wherever you are. My dad was usually able to catch when he was going to throw up, but there were a few times when he wouldn't, and it would be a mess.” Zack explained. I just stood there and listened. “Basically, what happened was my dad threw up in his sleep one night, and didn't wake up, so he choked on his own vomit.”

“Oh...Zack, that's terrible.”

“Yeah, it's definitely not the most glamourous way to go, pretty damn rock star of him though.” Zack tried to laugh, but I could see that he was upset. “But he was a good guy, you know? Traditional Italian man. Very dedicated to his wife and children, and his job. I guess I've just never really gotten over it, do you know what I mean?” Zack asked. I nodded.

“I mean, I've never lost a parent, but I've lost a dear and close friend to me. She was great. Very loyal, dedicated, had a great sense of humour. She loved her family and friends to bits and pieces...” I trailed off and held Autumn a little tighter to my chest.

“I really would of liked to of met Jazz.” Zack smiled at me.

“You would of liked her.” I told him. “She was hard not to like. Just like you.” Zack laughed slightly and stood up, walking over to me with Kodiak in his arms. Kodiak was playing with the tunnel (one of those pieces of jewelry for stretched ears), looking at it in utter amazement.

“It's very good that these are only a two-gauge.” Zack said, trying to turn his head away from Kodiak's grasp, but it wasn't much use. Kodiak would grab onto his shirt collar or the hairs on the back of his neck. I think Zack would of preferred it if Kodiak just kept playing with his ears. “I'll help you get these little ruffian's home. I want to give Finley his birthday present anyways.”

Zack and I got back to the house, and he helped take Kodiak into the house. There was a Lego building on the floor, and Matt and Josh were still working on it. Finley was excited when he saw Zack, and abandoned whatever he was doing after my dad had taken Kodiak from him so he could take his jacket off. Duncan, who was also still at the house (Airin was talking with mom in the kitchen), also ran at Zack. Both 6 year-old's flung there arms around his legs.

“Hey! Come on now! You can't keep doing this to me. I'm getting old!” Zack said. My dad snorted at him.

“What are you going to do when you're my age?” dad asked him.

“Die?” Zack said. My dad frowned at him, then laughed. Zack shrugged. “Can you two please let me go?” he looked down at the two kids attached to each one of his legs.

“No!” they both chirped at him.

Zack sighed, “Alright, fine.” Zack said. He tried walking with both of the kids on his legs, but he only made it a few steps before Zack nearly fell over.

“Okay, you two, let go of Zack. You're going to break him.” I said. Finley and Duncan both let go of him and bowed their heads.

“Sorry aunt Jaws.” Duncan said.

“Yeah, sorry mum.” Finley said. I was shocked. Finley had actually just spoken with an English accent. That had never happened before.

“Did you guys just hear that?” I asked. “He spoke with an accent!”

Josh looked up from the Lego “man cave”. “Did he really?”

“Yes, he did.” I said. Finley looked confused, like he did something wrong.

“Mum?” Finley said again. Josh heard it that time and laughed slightly. “What did I do?”

“Oh, you didn't do anything.” I said, kneeling in front of him. “Go bug your uncle Zack again, eh?” Finley smiled widely and ran over to Zack, who was now sitting on the floor with Matt and Josh, and almost knocked him over sideways.

I sure had one strange child.