Sequel: I'll Hum Along

This Masterpiece Will Fall Apart

Dinners and Disasters

“Josh?” I asked from the bathroom. I was trying to smooth a crease out of my dress. I wasn't sure if I looked alright in it, because I was still carrying a fair bit of weight from the twins. Josh came into the bathroom, a loose tie around his neck.

“What is it?” he asked me.

“Do I look alright?” I asked him, looking at myself in the mirror.

“Yeah, you look great.” Josh said, not really looking at me (he was busy fixing his tie).

“Are you sure?” I asked. “I don't look a little...I don't know...stout?” I said, trying to flatten the crease out again, but it only made my stomach fat more visible.

Josh stopped what he was doing and looked at me. “Stout? As in fat?” I looked away from him with embarrassment on my face. “Josline, you are not fat.”

“Well, I feel like it.” I said. “I mean, I lost the weight after Finley within a few weeks. It's been 5 months.”

“Josline, you're not this little perky, high-energied 20 year old anymore.” Josh said.

“Thanks.” I frowned.

“I didn't mean it like that.” Josh said. “I meant that your body has changed, and it's going to take a while.” I still had the frown on my face. Josh walked up behind me and slid his arms around my waist, leaning his head on my shoulder. “You're still the most beautiful woman I have ever met. Even with a little bit of extra weight on you.” I smiled slightly.

“You wouldn't of said that back in grade 7.” I smirked at him. Josh shook his head at me.

“Actually, I would of.” he said. I tilted my head, confused. “The only reason I picked on you was because I liked you.”

I snorted, “Are you joking? Oh, well that's a way to show your affection.”

“Why do you think I still pick on you now?” Josh smiled. I couldn't help but smile too. “Ah, there's that beautiful smile I fell in love with.” Josh said, kissing my cheek.

Airin had invited myself and Josh out to Airin's birthday dinner. Airin had also invited Matt, but he couldn't make it for some reason. It was really hard to believe that Airin was 28. I had only turned 26 in October. I was really starting to feel old, but then again, so was Airin. I think Airin was having a hard time adjusting to getting older, because he was still trying ever so desperately to cling on to his youth (explaining why he kept dyeing his hair obnoxious colours), but when I saw him, his hair was brown, and it had still been blond the last time I had seen him. Maybe he was finally starting to grow up.

“So, how does it feel being nearly thirty?” Josh smirked at Airin at dinner. Airin glared at Josh before answering.

“I don't like it.” Airin said.

“You still look great.” Marque said, leaning up against Airin's shoulder.

“Oh, I know that.” Airin said. Marque kind of frowned at his husband. “I just wish I had as much energy as I used to.”

“You can gladly take some of Finley's.” I told him. Airin chuckled.

“I think you need that more than anything.” Marque said. I nodded in agreement. “Besides, Airin's got more than enough energy.” Marque wiggled his eyebrows at Airin, and I slapped my hand against my forehead.

“Jesus Christ.” I muttered.

“Oh, come off it. We've been married for nearly 6 years now.” Marque said.

“And together for 11!” Airin added. “And we're no worse than you two.”

Josh laughed, “But we're not as showy as you.”

“I think that's inevitable with them though.” I said. The other three nodded in agreement. I had just taken a sip of iced tea when my phone started ringing. I dug it out of my bag to see Matt's name on the call display. “Hi Matt. What's up?”

“I really need to talk to you right now.” Matt sounded urgent.

“I'm kind of in the middle of something...” I said. I turned in my chair slightly.

“Josline, it's important.” Matt said.

“Alright, what is it?” I asked.

“I can't tell you right now.” Matt said.

“Well, what's the point in calling me if you can't tell me?”

“Could you come over here instead?” Matt asked. I hesitated before answering. Matt really did sound desperate, and I hated it when he was like that.

“Yeah. Yeah, okay. I'll be there in a few minutes.” I said. I said goodbye and hung up my phone, shoving it into my bra. The three guys had quizzical looks on.

“What is it?” Josh asked.

“I'm really sorry, but I have to go.” I said, sliding off of my chair.

“Is everything okay?” Marque asked, looking rather concerned. Matt and Marque were still very close with one another. Marque would still call Matt his brother-in-law.

“I'm not sure. Matt needs me to come over for some reason.” I put on my jacket and apologized again. I gave Josh a quick peck before I left the restaurant. It was lightly snowing outside. I got into the car and drove off to Matt's apartment. A dozen thoughts were running through my head. I had no clue what Matt needed, but I was about to find out.

Matt let me into the building when I pressed the buzzer. I made my ascent up the 3 flights of stairs, regretting wearing heels. I finally got fed up with them and took them off halfway up the second flight. I also never knew why the building didn't have an elevator. I guess since it was only three floors, it wasn't that bad. I knocked on Matt's door and waited about a minute before the door swung open. Matt looked dishevelled, more then what he usually was.

“You look nice.” was what Matt first said to me.

“Don't think I can say the same about you.” I said, pushing some of Matt's hair out of his face. He smiled slightly and let me inside. That's when I saw that his apartment was a mess. Things were strewn about. Matt wasn't the cleanliest person, but he was never this bad. “What, do you need me to clean up or something? I told you I'm not doing that anymore.”

Matt chuckled and shook his head. “No, that's not why I called you, although the help would be nice.” Matt said. He was then quiet. “You were right.”

“I'm always right, so you're going to need to give me more than that.” I said. Matt smiled lightly.

“You were right about Casey.” he said. I tilted my head slightly.

“Oh, this was something I never wanted to be right about.” I admitted. “What happened?”

“The biggest shit storm ever, that's what happened.” Matt said, placing his hands on his hips.

“I can clearly see that, but what happened exactly?” I hated pressing Matt for information.

“Well, she first started off by telling me that I couldn't go out with you guys tonight, then she decided it would be appropriate to insult each one of my friends.” Matt said. I could feel my face grow hot.

“What exactly did she say?” I asked him.

“She said that Airin was rather childish, which he is. Marque is rather obtuse, and...well, I don't even really want to repeat what she said about you.” Matt said. I folded my arms across my chest.

“What did she say about me?” I asked. Matt kind of hesitated.

“She said the only reason you had kids was to 'trap' Josh in a relationship with you.” Matt said. I inhaled sharply.

“I swear, I'm going to smash her pretty little face in with a brick.” I said a bit more vicious then intended; it kind of frightened Matt. “What the fuck is wrong with her?”

Matt sighed, “That's what I said.”

After I had calmed down a little, I asked, “So...what did you do about that?”

“I straight up told her that she needed to get out of my apartment.” Matt said. I had an internal victory cheer. “I also said that, although Airin is childish, he is the most compassionate person I've ever met. Marque is far from obtuse. In fact, I've never met a more intelligent and literate guy than him. And you...well, you're a fantastic mother, and Josh loves you more than he loves himself. Or Coke Zero, but that's not the point. The point is that you would never 'trap' Josh into something like that.”

I could see there was something else Matt wasn't telling me. “She said something about you, didn't she?” Matt looked away from me.

“Well, it wasn't me, exactly.” Matt said. He ushered me over to his living room, where most things were thrown about. “Do you notice anything missing?” Matt asked. I looked around for a few seconds before noticing a picture that usually hung right beside the TV stand was gone.

“Where...where is the picture of you and Jazz?” I asked.

“If you'll direct your attention to the left side of the living room, you shall find it on the floor.” Matt said, pushing me in the direction. I saw the broken picture frame and shattered glass on the floor. I knelt down and picked it up, carefully taking to photo from the frame. The picture was of Jazz and Matt and Airin and Marque's wedding. Jazz's purple and brown hair was curled loosely around her face. She had the biggest smile on that I had ever seen. Matt, who always had a dorky smile, was looking at Jazz adoringly in the picture. It was possibly the best photo of the two of them. Then, a realization hit me.

“What did she say about Jazz?” I said, standing up too quickly, becoming dizzy. Matt caught me before I fell over.

“It wasn't directly about her. Casey said that I'm still hung up on her and that I needed to get over her.” Matt explained. He then sat down on the couch, looking defeated. “I'm not, Josline.” Matt said.

I looked at Matt with soft eyes. We never really talked much about how Jazz's death had affected him. We all knew that it must of been hard on him. It was hard on everyone. But Matt and Jazz had kind of been at odds with one another the night before Jazz had been found. I think Matt kind of blamed himself for it. Maybe if they hadn't of been fighting, Jazz could still be around, and none of this would be happening. “I wouldn't expect you to Matt.” I said, sitting down next to him. I placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it lightly. We just sat there in utter silence, except for the distant sound of sirens.

Matt chuckled, “You know, I could actually see myself marrying Jazz. Which is far-fetched, even for me.” Matt sighed.

“I was actually pretty shocked when Josh told me that you were dating again.” I admitted. Matt looked at me, “I knew it would happen, but I didn't think it would happen that soon. I was still comprehending the fact that you were single.” I said. “For as long as I've known you, you've always been dating someone.”

“I think we owe Jazz a huge thank you.” Matt said.

“Why's that?” I asked curiously.

“Because, if I never would of met Jazz, I wouldn't of met you, or Airin, or Marque. She kind of brought everyone together. Even you and Josh. She's the one that planned that whole road trip to Vancouver to come and visit me. She's the one that Josh would confide in about you.” Matt said.

“She was kind of like everyone's Cupid.” I smiled. I leaned my head against Matt's shoulder.

“She really was.” Matt replied. Matt wrapped an arm around my shoulders. “Thank you, Josline.” he finally said after minutes of silence. “I don't know what I'd do without you.”

“You'd probably have to talk to Josh.” I said.

“Who would ever want to do that?” Matt grinned.

“I don't know. Even I don't want to do that ninety percent of the time.” I said. Matt laughed, and it was good to hear him have a good, real laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the complete lack of flow.
I also don't seem to know how to write a happy chapter lately.