Sequel: I'll Hum Along

This Masterpiece Will Fall Apart

Growing Old and Beard Toques

I had to take Kodiak to an appointment one Friday afternoon, so I left Josh at home with Autumn and Finley. I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner (I decided that I was going to make a nice dinner for Matt the day before his birthday) when Josh called my cell phone. I had Kodiak hoisted on one hip and a basket in the other hand. I put down the basket to answer my phone. “Hello?”

“Jaws...” Josh said. The way he said it made me think he did something wrong.

“Yes Josh?” I asked.

“I have a problem.”

“Joshua Keeler Ramsay, did you lose the car again?” I joked. It was sad that I could actually hear Josh frown.

“No, I did not lose the car again. You have the car you dipshit.” Josh said to me. I frowned slightly.

“Well, then what is your problem?”

“I can't find the cake pans you wanted me to get out for you.” Josh said. If I could of slapped my forehead, I would of.

“Really, Josh? How long have you lived in that house?” I asked.

“Well, if you'd stop moving things on me, I'd be able to find them!” Josh said.

“They're in the same place I put them when we moved into that house.” I told him.

“Oh.” Josh said. “Where are they?”

“What kitchen appliance does one normally use to bake a cake?” I asked.

“An oven...”

“Is there a cupboard next to the oven?”

“Yes...” Josh said. There was some slight rattling, “Oh... I found the cake pans.”

“If I could, I'd come through the phone and smack you.” I said.

“I know you would. Do you want me to start on the cake?” Josh asked.

“I'm making the cake!” I whined at him. Josh was silent for a brief second, then laughed at me.

“What cake are you making him?”

“The orange dreamsicle cake I make for Airin's birthday.” I said.

“Why don't I ever get that cake?” Josh whined.

“It's Matt's birthday!” I replied.

“I never get that cake on my birthday.” Josh grumbled at me.

“You get a different treat on your birthday.” I said. “Unless you don't want that one...”

“No, no! I want that one!” Josh said, once he realized that I was threatening to take away birthday sex from him. “I just want a dreamsicle cake that day too.”

“I'm not a dreamsicle-y enough for you?”

“You are, but...I...oh, never mind!” Josh gave up. I laughed and said goodbye before shoving my phone in my pocket. Kodiak was trying to grab something on the shelf in front of us, and he started to whimper when I bent down to pick up the basket.

“Oh, that's enough out of you.” I said, straightening myself back up. I went and gathered the rest of the groceries and drove home.

I got home to find Finley sitting on the floor, with Zack in front of him. Autumn was also in Zack's lap, chewing on his hoodie string. I was stunned for a few seconds. “Oh, hi Zack. You do know this dinner thing is not for a few more hours, right?”

Zack looked up at me and smiled, “I wanted to bring my present for Matt a bit early.”

“What's your present?” I asked. As if on cue, the door to the bathroom opened, and Stephanie appeared in the living room. I was surprised to see her there; I hadn't seen her since the twins were born. I set the bag of groceries down and walked over to hug her. “I didn't know you were going to be in town!” Stephanie and I had stayed in close contact with one another while she was back in Toronto. She was a really interesting girl, and I liked her. I was fairly certain Matt had taken a liking to her when she was in Vancouver last.

“It's even better than that!” Stephanie smiled, clasping her hands together. She looked excitedly at Zack as I looked between the two. I raised my eyebrows at the two friends.

“What exactly is going on?” I asked. By that time, Josh had joined the small conglomerate of people in the living room.

“What's going on?” Josh repeated.

“That's what I'm trying to figure out.” I told him.

“You remember how I said I wanted to find an apartment here?” Stephanie asked. Josh and I both nodded. “Well, I did! With Zack!” I was slightly surprised by the news, although I knew Zack had been planning on moving out of his moms house.

“Oh, I thought Zack had knocked you up for a second.” I said. Stephanie laughed and Zack just frowned at me.

“Look, I'm not like Josh, Josline.” Zack teased, referring to how I got pregnant at 20. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“You can leave at any time, you know.” I told him. Zack just grinned at me.

“I think I'll stick around for cake, and then leave. To my new apartment. That doesn't have cats!” Zack said, pushing Tux off his leg. Zack wasn't really a cat person.

“No, you can leave now.” I said. “Stephanie can stay though.” I smiled at her. Zack stuck his tongue out at me and looked down at Autumn in surprise when she squealed. I looked down at my daughter and she was grabbing onto Tux's tail. I snorted slightly, causing Autumn to look up at me and let go of the cats tail. Tux darted out of the living room and into mine and Joshes bedroom.

“I really don't think the cats like our kids.” Josh laughed.

“The cats don't like anyone.” I said.

“They like me.” Zack noted.

“That's because you hate them.” Josh said.

“I don't hate them. I just wish they wouldn't crawl on me.” Zack said. “Or scratch at my leg.” Zack said when Anemone put her paw on Zack's prosthetic leg. “I am not a scratching post!” he pushed the cat off him. Autumn tried to swivel around to grab the other cat, but Zack had a firm grip on her. Autumn started to whine at Zack and Zack looked at me and Josh for help. Josh shook his head and picked up his daughter.

“You know, when you have kids, this is going to happen a lot.” I teased Zack.

“I told you, I'm not joining the parent club!” Zack said, falling backward onto the floor. I raised my eyebrow at my friend, but shook the reaction off.

“But you'd have cute kids!” Stephanie chimed in.

“Oh, I'm aware of that. Any kids that I would have would grow up to be hot.” Zack said. “They'd be runway models by the time they were 4.” I laughed slightly.

“I think you're giving yourself a bit too much credit there, Zack.” Josh smirked at him. Zack lifted his head slightly, a pout on his lips and his eyes narrowed. “Unless their mother is Stephanie, that is.” Josh said, nudging Stephanie in the side. Stephanie chuckled and rolled her eyes at Josh.

Airin and Marque showed up with Duncan and Kaylee, and the three older kids (including Finley) set off to make some gigantic Lego castle in the middle of the living room. Mike and Ian both showed up around the same time, and Ian had brought Mariah along with him. Mariah came into the kitchen to help me and Stephanie finish up the last bit of dinner and decorate the cake, since all the men that were in the house were too busy watching a game on TV (Josh, however, was busy playing a game on his phone – he didn't watch a lot of sports).

“So, what did you guys get Matt?” Mariah asked myself and Stephanie. I tried to reach up into the cupboard to get a can of sprinkles, but I couldn't extend my arm far enough. Stephanie ended up grabbing them for me (she was about five-foot nine).

“I don't even know how I came across it, but I got him this really cool hole punch thing that you can make guitar picks with.” I said, twisting off the cap of the orange and white sprinkles container.

“That's really cool!” Stephanie said.

“I know right? I bought one for myself because I liked it so much. I turned one of my old credit cards into a set of picks.” I admitted. “What did you get him Stephanie?”

“Well, I know how much he loves his barbeque, so I found thing called a barbeque sword.” Mariah and I raised an eyebrow at her. “It has a sword handle and it comes with a Zorro-type mask.” Stephanie said sheepishly.

“That...is so awesome.” Mariah said. “Why didn't I think of that?” she pondered to herself.

“What did you get him, 'Rye?” I asked.

“I was going to get him another pair of shoes, but I didn't know what size foot he has, so I bought him a beard-toque.” Mariah told us. I had seen those kinds of toque's before. They had the regular hat, but also had extra material made out to look like a beard and moustache. I just opened my mouth to say something, but I heard the screams of 3 young children from the living room. I looked between my two friends and peeked out the kitchen into the living room. The three older kids had run at Matt when he stepped into the house, throwing their arms around his legs (Duncan was almost half the size of Matt. If he wasn't adopted, I would have sworn up and down that he was Airin's biological child). I laughed at my helpless friend, but soon the kids let go of him. I walked into the living room to hug Matt, and he swooped his arms around me in a giant bear-hug.

“Matt, you're crushing me.” I squeaked out.

“Oh, sorry.” Matt let go of me and smiled. I looked at Mariah and Stephanie, who were standing in the doorway to the kitchen. Mariah stepped forwards and gave Matt a hug; Matt and Mariah never really hung out much, mostly because she was in Abbotsford with Ian, so the hug was some-what awkward. Stephanie lingered by the doorway for a moment before stepping into the living room. Matt's gaze broke from his conversation with Mariah when he spotted Stephanie; he seemed shocked, then pleased. “What are you doing here?” Matt asked, walking over to Stephanie to hug her.

“I moved here.” Stephanie said. Matt held her at arms length.

“Did you really?” Matt asked. Stephanie nodded and Matt smiled widely and pulled her into a hug again. I really hoped things would work out for Matt. He really deserved it.