Sequel: I'll Hum Along

This Masterpiece Will Fall Apart

Home Is Where The Heart Is

I was still surprised Josh had actually shown up at the hospital. I wasn't sure why I was so shocked by it. I guess I didn't know how much Josh really did care. Josh was still staying with his parents two weeks after the accident, but I was seemingly okay with it. He had been dropping by to see how I was doing, but he would only stay for an hour or two. Zack was still staying at the house, but he'd leave later in the night, usually around 9, to go back to his apartment, and then he'd come back around 8 the next morning to take Finley to school. I told him he didn't have to keep doing that, but he wanted to.

I had been advised to walk with a cane for a few weeks. Where I was stabbed in the leg hit a nerve, and it made that leg a lot weaker and my leg got numb quickly, so the doctor told me that I should walk with a cane until I got used to walking again. I really didn't like it, so I tried to avoid doing things that involved a lot of moving. I would normally go from my bedroom, to the couch, to the kitchen, or to the bathroom, and I would avoid everywhere else, because that involved going down stairs.

It was around 1 in a May afternoon, maybe a month after I was attacked, and Zack was over yet again. I was in the kitchen, trying to do the dishes. My leg was throbbing, but I was trying to push past it. Zack was cleaning something else up in the living room, but soon he came into the kitchen. He seemed to notice me shift my weight uncomfortably from one leg to the other, because he spoke up soon after I did that. “Is your leg bothering you today?”

“No, no. I'm fine.” I lied.

“You sure?” Zack asked.

“Absolutely.” I said, inhaling sharply when I leaned on my leg a little too hard.

“Josline, why don't you let me finish those?” Zack started to walk towards the sink.

“No! I can do this.” I said a little more hotly than I intended.

“At least let me dry them.” Zack said, brushing off my temper.

“Fine.” I said, continuing to scrub at a pot.

“How's the cane been treating you?” Zack asked after a long silence.

“I feel old with that thing.” I admitted. “What kind of a 26 year old has to walk around with a cane?”

“Hey, when I was 16 I had to walk with one.” Zack told me. I looked at him a bite strangely.

“Why did you?” I asked.

“I had to use it to get used to walking with my prosthetic. I know the troubles of walking with a cane.” Zack told me. “It's not very fun at first, but just think; if someone gets out of line, you have something to whack them with.”

I chuckled. “So why aren't you bruised head to toe by your mum yet?” I smirked at him. Zack eyed me and shoved a plate back into the cupboard.

“I'm not a bad kid, you know!” Zack said, leaning against the counter. I unplugged the sink and wiped my hands on the towel that was in Zack's hands.

“I know that.” I said. “Kind of hard to believe you're 21 though.”

“ I don't even want to believe that.” Zack smiled. “Hey, I'm going to go check my mail and get some groceries before I go take the munchkin to Airin and Marque's, okay?” Zack placed the towel on the cupboard and handed me my cane. “Do you need anything?”

“No, I don't think so.” I said. Zack nodded and said he'd be back in a bit. I got a glass of water and a Tylenol and hobbled out to the living room. I sat down on the couch, placed the glass of water on the coffee table, and went to put the Tylenol in my mouth, but it slipped out of my fingers and skittered across the floor.

“Damn it. Now I need Zack.” I mumbled. I tried to stand up multiple times before just saying “fuck it” and I layed down on the couch. As soon as I got comfortable, there was a knock at the door. I agitatedly huffed and sat upright. I tried to stand up again, a second knock sounding from the door. “Hold on, hold on! I'm coming.” I pushed myself up, grabbed the cane and limped towards the torn. There was a third knock when I was a foot from the door. “Don't get your knickers in a twist!” I said, and pulled open the door. I was stunned. Josh was there, and he had a few bags with him. “Josh, what is it?” I asked.

“I wanted to ask you something.” Josh told me.

“You couldn't of called?” I asked. “Not that I don't like seeing you, this is just unexpected.”

“I'm very good at the unexpected, aren't I?” Josh asked me.

“You are.” I replied. “Now, what did you need to ask?”

“I was wondering...” Josh looked down at his feet momentarily. “I was wondering if I could come home?”

I felt my breath get caught in my throat and I just stared at him.”You...you what?”

“Could I come home?” Josh repeated. My eyes started to tear up. I dropped the cane on the floor and flung my arms around Joshes neck. “So, is that a yes or no?” Josh asked. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow and laughed, wrapping my arms around him again.

“Of course you can come home.” I said into his chest. Josh wrapped his arms around my waist, but not too tightly. I finally felt at home.

Zack came back a little while later, and was confused when he saw that Josh was back in the house. “Oh, hi Josh.” Zack said, setting down his grocery bag. “What's up?”

“I have something for you.” Josh said, getting up from the couch.

“Is it a cape? I swear if you got me a cape, I'm going to throw it at you.” Zack said. I snorted.

“No, it's not a cape.” Josh smiled and pulled an envelope out of his back pocket. Zack took it apprehensively and opened it, pulling out a letter. Zack read it, and I saw his eyes grow in size.

“What does it say Zack?” I asked.

“Zack Angelo, thanks to your dear friend Josh Ramsay, I would like to meet with you about signing to our label and recording your record. Please contact me as soon as possible. Sincerely, Jonathan Simkin.” Zack read the letter to me and still appeared to be in complete shock. “Josh...” Zack stuttered, “How?!”

“I sent him something we worked on, and he said it was one of the best things he had heard in a while.” Josh said.

“This...this is amazing.” Zack said. “Josh, how...how can I ever repay you?”

“You don't have to.” Josh said.

“Yes I do!”

“No you don't.” Josh chuckled slightly. “We're even now.” Zack looked contemplative, and then smiled slightly.

“Thank you. Thank you so much Josh.” Zack hugged Josh, and I smiled at the two of them.

Zack left the house the most elated person on the planet. I had never seen someone so excited about something ever. The smile on his face was almost comical too.

Josh and I were laying in bed later that night, not really doing anything. “That was a really nice thing you did for Zack.” I told Josh as he pulled me closer to him.

“The kid's good. He should really get his stuff out there.” Josh said.

“Let's just hope this doesn't inflate his already ginormous ego.” I said and Josh chuckled. We were quiet again before Josh spoke up a few minutes later.

“Josline, will you marry me?” Josh asked.

“I...what?” I asked, completely confused.

“Will you marry me?” Josh repeated.

“Why are you asking this? You've already asked me this.” I said.

“I just want to make sure you still do.” Josh said, nuzzling his face into my neck.

“What if I said no?” I asked. Joshes head snapped up.

“I'd tickle you into submission.” Josh said simply.

“You wouldn't dare.” I said, rolling onto my back.

“Then tell me you'll marry me.” Josh said, propping himself up on his elbow.

“Yes.”

“Yes what?”

“Josh...” I groaned.

“Josline.” Josh mocked me. I rolled my eyes at him.

“Mocking me will not help you in this situation.” I said. Josh smiled slightly.

“Sorry. So, yes what?” Josh smirked slightly.

“Yes, Josh. I will marry you.” I said. Josh grinned and leaned down, kissing me.

“Now, was that so hard?” Josh asked, laying down on his side. I took one of the pillows from under me and smacked Josh in the face with it. He sputtered and looked at me strangely, then laughed. “Okay, I deserved that.”