Status: On Hiatus - Not sure when I'll be updating again...

Something Ends, Another Begins

Chapter Sixteen

I pulled out my Calculus textbook and shut my locker right before I saw Cameron approach me. We smiled at each other before he said quietly, "Hey."

"Hi," I replied, not knowing what else to say.

"So," he said slowly, "did Gina stop by to visit you yesterday?" By the way he was looking down and how quiet his voice was, it was like he was cautious to ask me.

I nodded my head and answered, "Yes, she did. I'm guessing you saw her, too."

"Yeah. Did she happen to give you a letter that Josh wrote?"

I nodded again, but I couldn't help the pained expression that appeared on my face. "Cameron, I'm sorry but, I'd really rather not talk about it right now."

"Okay, I understand. I'm sorry."

Cameron and I didn't say anything else to each other as he started walking me to my first period class. As we were walking, I heard a loud deep voice say, "Well, well, well, if it isn't Mr. Cam Reeves. Long time, no see." We both turned around to see a guy that was about Cameron's height, with short blond hair, wearing a solid black t-shirt and dark jeans, and was skinny but not too skinny. The guy was leaning against one of the lockers with a smirk on his face.

"Do I know you?" Cameron asked, looking genuinely confused.

The guy chuckled, "You do, but I wouldn't expect you to remember. Maybe all of that weed and coke must've made your memory all foggy." People's heads turned at the last comment.

I quickly looked at Cameron, who's face had immediately turned pale. But, his facial expression hadn't changed. He started to slowly walk closer to the guy. I just stood where I was, watching. "Who the hell are you?" Cameron's voice was low and threatening.

"Whoa, man, calm down," the guy put both of his hands up in defense, not looking the least bit bothered. "You can't fight while you're high. You out of all people should know that." The guy sighed and shook his head. "You know, you would've thought that after you leave rehab, you'd be different. But, I guess since your little buddy that got you into rehab had bit the dust, you had went back to the good old druggie you've always been."

I felt my stomach twist in knots. There was already a group of people surrounding Cameron and the mystery guy, murmuring quietly to themselves. But, I didn't care about that. Who is this guy? How does he know about Cameron's past with drugs? And, how does he know about Josh and the fact he got Cameron into rehab.

I saw Cameron walk closer and closer to the, one of his hands forming a fist. I know that in a few seconds, there would be a fight going on. That's why I dropped my books on the floor and ran over to Cameron. I went between him and the guy and put my hands on Cameron's chest. "Cameron, calm down," I said, but he kept his eyes on the guy, still moving forward. "Cam, look at me, look at me." I placed my hands on both sides of his head before forcing him to look at me. "Calm down," I said quietly, "he's not worth it. Let's just go." Cameron ripped my hands off of his face and started walking away from everyone.

"Oh, you have your little girlfriend as a bodyguard, I see," the guy called out to Cameron before looking back at my direction. He smirked as he looked me up and down before saying, "Hey, cutie."

I rolled my eyes, completely disgusted, as I picked up my books and started to follow Cameron. I ignored all of the stares and whispering. Not too long later, I spotted Cameron walking in an empty hallway. His back was to me and I heard him breathing heavily.

"Cameron," I said, a little nervous by the way he was acting.

Cameron turned to me and I saw the extremely angry look on his face. Now, I'm really nervous. "Who did you tell?" he asked in a low tone.

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't be dumb, Ali! You know what I'm talking about. Who did you tell about my past with drugs." He whispered the last part.

"I didn't tell anyone, I swear. I promised you I wouldn't tell and I don't ever break promises. Especially promises like that."

"Then, how the hell would that asshole know about it?"

"How am I supposed to know? I've never seen him before. Don't you trust me?"

"I don't know. I don't know if I trust you. Right now, I would really appreciate it if you would leave me alone. I don't want to see you right now."

I actually felt hurt by the fact that he thinks I would tell people exactly what he asked me not to tell. I guess that shows how much he doesn't know about me.

***
Cameron's P.O.V.

After school, while walking through the parking lot, I felt my anger level rise as I saw the asshole that I almost punched in the jaw leaning against my car. "What the hell are you doing? Get off," I said loudly.

"Well, well, someone's had a bad day."

"Yeah, I have. Thanks to some asshole I've never met calling me out and practically announcing to everyone about stuff that should be kept private."

The asshole chuckled and shook his head. "Oh, Cam. You honestly don't remember me? I thought a few extra hours would help you remember, but I guess I have to help you a little bit."

"Just tell me who the hell you are."

"Your dad and my dad go way back. You remember how you and your old man would come over a couple times each week and by the time you two would leave, all four if us would be high as fuck? Ring any bells?"

Finally, it came to me. Before I moved here, right after my dad got me into the drugs and drinking, him and I would always go to our neighbor's house and do drugs with a man who was about my dad's age and someone who was around my age. "Tim."

"Wow, you catch on fast, Reeves," Tim said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"What do you want? Why are you here?"

"Well, since you got my old man in jail and almost got my ass thrown in there, I figured it was time for a little payback. No one messes with me and family and gets away with it."

"Tim, our dads deserved to go to jail. You and I should've gone to jail, too, for the things we've done. But, since we didn't, I was lucky enough to get into rehab and turn my life around. You should do the same."

Tim burst out laughing. "That's so touching, Reeves, it really is. But, it's not like we hurt anyone and I don't want to go into rehab. I don't need to. I don't think anything could make me do that. What I'm going to do, however, is make you pay for sending the cops to us and putting my dad in jail. I don't know how or when I'll make you pay. I haven't worked out those details, yet. But, when that time comes, you can guarantee it will be painful. So painful you'll end up in a hospital, for sure."

He slowly started walking closer to me. "Also, if you even try telling anyone, a.k.a. the cops, about this little conversation, I might just have to bring your little girlfriend into this."

Tim didn't need to tell me who he was talking about. "This has nothing to do with Ali. If you even touch her, I swear I'll beat the shit out of you."

"I'm shaking," Tim said flatly, rolling his eyes again. Tim walked past me, roughly bumping into my shoulder in the process.

Just when I thought my past was finally behind me.