Bye Bye Blackbird

Reunion

I stood in the middle of the street a few blocks over waiting for John to appear. I was nervous. What if he didn’t come? What if he got caught again? Headlights flooded my vision. I stepped out of the way so they wouldn’t hit me. However, instead of driving past, the car slowed to a stop infront of me.

"Say, what’s a pretty little thing like you doing out here so late at night?"

It was a voice I defiantly recognized. The door opened and I threw myself into the car. I hugged his torso and one of his arms went around my shoulders as he punched the gas.

"Thank god." He mumbled before kissing the top of my head. "I’m never leaving you like that again, Doll. I promise."

"You better not be lying to me Dillinger. Or else I’ll skin you. These months have been hell and I am NOT going through that again." I warned, still attached to him.

"He just laughed. I could feel it rumbling through his chest and it made me laugh too. "Where do you want to go baby?"

"Oh I forgot to tell you. They arrested me this morning."

"What?!? Why?!?" I could feel him tense. I could tell in his mind he was fantasizing about turning around and marching into that police station and gunning every last one of them down.

"For suspicion of murder. Pervis thinks I’m Frankie Dietrich, but he didn’t have any proof to back it up. So they let me go."

"Oh damn Honey. I am so sorry. But.... he has no proof ...right?"

"He does now. I left him a note in the apartment. Plus the fact I’m skipping town is pretty obvious." By now I was sitting up properly, looking at John. He was staring straight ahead, clutching the steering wheel so tight his knuckles were turning white. "We can’t go back to Chicago Johnny."

"Well... then... I will take you someplace else. Someplace far away. So he can’t find you." He growled.

I just sat there silently. Pervis would find me eventually. He was the best at what he does. Only a matter of time.

After a while, I fell asleep against him. When he got tired he pulled over and shook me awake.

"Come on Janey. Lets sleep under the stars." I mearly nodded and a got out of the car. He pulled me close to him as we sat on the grass. "Do you see all these stars?" He asked covering me with his coat.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"I got them just for you."

I laughed. "Ok..."

"No really. I did. I bought them from the moon. Just for you."

"Did you now?"

"Would I lie to you?"

"You better hope not. You know what I can do with a gun." I smirked and tucked my head into his neck.

"Then I aint lying to you my love." His lips brushed my ear, sending shivers down my spine. They moved across my cheek and finally, my lips. It was a kiss full of passion but not lust. A kiss of longing but discretion. It was a kiss I had been waiting 3 months to receive. It was a kiss of love. Love in its purest, most unaltered form. It was the most beautiful thing in the world, and it belonged to us, and only us.