Bye Bye Blackbird

Something Went Wrong

I was sitting, tapping my fingernails, by the phone in our Wisconsin hotel. I had finally convinced John to let me sit this one out. I had cut my hair and dyed my red locks a dark brown. Sitting out did nothing for my nerves though. John was still running around with Baby Face Nelson. From the radio, I learned that there was a lot less in the bank that we had been told. $26,000 as opposed to the $800,000 promised.

"Never work with someone you don’t know. Never do anything when your desperate." I reminded him as he was walking out the door.

"Walter Dietrich." He nodded before giving me a quick kiss.

"Please be careful baby." I whispered. That was the last I saw of him until he came stumbling into the lobby in a bloodied shirt.

"John!!" I sprang up from my chair and was over to him in a blink. "What happened?!"

"Not here. Lets go to the room." I agreed and brought his uninjured arm over my shoulder and led him to the elevator. Once I got him to the room and sat on the bed I started unbuttoning his shirt to better see that damage.

"Wanted to get started right away huh?" He smirked.

"Shut up and tell me what happened."

"That is a contradictory statement my love."

"Tell me what happened Dillinger." I growled. He had been shot in the arm but it had already been tended to.

"The bank was a bust, Nelson freaked and opened fire. Getting in the car we were snippered, that’s when I got this." He motioned to his arm. "At the hide out we were ambushed be Pervis and his men. Hamilton and I escaped out a window but we were chased. Hamilton got shot but we stole a car from a farm and made it to town." Condensed version.

"Is Hamilton okay?"

"He’s dead."

"Homer?"

"Dead."

"Nelson?"

"Dead. Everyone is dead. The only thing I got left in this world is you." It was then he started crying. I leaned him back on the bed and he clung to me. Like a little child to his mother. He cried into my hair until he fell asleep. I, however, could not sleep. Pervis was able to find their hide out in the middle of the woods. He would defiantly be able to find our hotel. We would have to leave in the morning. Go someplace far. There was nothing left for us in Chicago.