Bye Bye Blackbird

What Do We Do Now?

I didn’t sleep the rest of the night. My thoughts wouldn’t allow it. When John finally started to stir it was about six in the morning. When he finally woke up he just looked at me for a long time. We didn’t that a lot. Memorizing each other, understanding without communicating.

"You didn’t sleep." He observed. I mearly nodded my head. "What do we do now?"

"We need to leave. Get far away from Chicago as we can. No jobs. Stay under the radar for a long time. Like sensible people."

"We are bank robbers. Not sensible people my love."

"Do you really want to do this the rest of our lives John? Pulling shitty jobs until we get caught or killed? I don’t!" He was quiet for a long time again.

"What do you want Frankie."

"I want to be normal John. Have a family. I stay at home with our children, cooking all day long. While you are out working a normal job. You come home and kiss my cheek and we go to bed, wake up and do the whole thing over again. Normal." I had started to cry now.

"You know that can never happen." He wiped my tears with his thumbs. "You and I are the two most wanted people in the country. We have never been normal. But, baby if I could I would give you everything you wanted in the world. But I just can’t."

"We should go now." I sniffed and got out of bed. We got in the car and started driving.

"I want you to be Mrs. Frankie Jane Dillinger." He said after a long period of silence.

"I already am. You know that."

"I want you to have a ring."

"Then get me a ring. It won’t mean I love you more than I already do."

"I’ll get you the best ring out there. Gold and diamonds. Like a Rockefeller would wear."

"You can get me what ever you want, or nothing at all. I’ll still always be hopelessly devoted to you."

"You’re too good for me. You know that?"

"It’s crossed my mind once or twice." I joked leaning against him.

"Shit!"

"What?!"

"We’re being followed."