Gray

"If mortals - that is to say, homo sapiens, human beings, and the like - knew even half of what went on over their little, insignificant heads - or below their very toes - they'd lose the parts of their minds that haven't already blown away. And I, being as cruel as they say I am, would laugh at them."

~H~

+


"Zeus commands the thunder and lightning; Poseidon rules the sea; Aphrodite, well, she's a love, i'nt she?"

"What about Hades?"

"Who?"

"The ruler of the Underworld."

"Oh, right, him. He's a right nasty piece of work, he is. Don't want to cross him, no ma'am."

"You don't actually believe all this, do you?"

"Don't you?"

+


Nobody believes in the gods these days; no, they traded them in a long, long time ago for a nameless, all-powerful being. The old gods, though, they've become things of myth and legend among mortals. And they accepted it quietly. There wasn't much they could do, after all.

Hades, though; he was a different story. He couldn't stand mortals. But he was evil, so what did he know? Isn't that what the myths said about him?

Well, Tawny doesn't believe a word of it.
Image
  1. Letter #1 and Tawny's Thoughts On Living
    "Some people just don't have 'it'," Mr. H. smiled a little, "You don't."
  2. A Ripple In the Redundancy
    Never had I seen him away from the piano. And yet, there he was, standing before my eyes.
  3. A Little Blood In My Alcohol; Reverse That, Scratch It
    "Sometimes, being alone is the best thing for us," he whispered.
  4. Sex and Fire, Just the Way I Like It
    "It's a secret," he told me, "You're not allowed to know."
  5. The Devil's Knocking At My Door
    "Tawny," he said lightly, "Do you honestly think I haven't talked about you?"
  6. Spooky, For Sure.
    “I can’t tell you,” he mumbled, “It’s…complicated. You can’t know. Or understand, for that matter.”
  7. Can You Keep A Secret?
    “Gods aren’t supposed to mingle with mortals,” H informed me.
  8. Moxie
    "Only bad things can come from a love between a god and a mortal," he told me.
  9. INTRUDER ALERT!
    And just like that, I knew exactly where I stood with the Lord of the Underworld.