My 'Cool' Grandpa

Jack and Rosie

**Rosie's POV**

"Jack, I love you."

Jack smiled. "Aww, I love you too Rosie." He leant over to give me a hug.

"No, Jack, I LOVE you."

Jack leant back. His hand was still over mine. "Excuse me? You LOVE me?"

"Yes."

"As in, boyfriend/girlfriend, I love you? As in, me 5 years ago, I love you?"

"Yes."

"Where was this five years ago?"

"I know Jack, I know, I loved you then too, but I was just scared that we'd break up and we'd feel really awkward around each other."

"Rosie, I still love...wait a minute, I'm engaged! Where was all this before? Why have you only told me now?"

"Jack, stop yelling at me."

"I'm not yelling, I'm talking with conviction."

"What did you say, before you said 'Wait a minute, I'm engaged'?"

"I, um, I said 'Where was this five years ago'."

"No, no you didn't! You were about to say that you still love me, you were!"

"Yes, yes I do still love you, but I'm engaged. You're too late. I'm with Roxanne. You've missed your chance." Jack got up and stormed out of the restaurant.

I grabbed a ten dollar bill and left it on the table. I ran out following him. I couldn't see him anywhere. Then, I saw his car drive off. I got into my car and started driving.

I got home and walked up to my room. I lay on the bed and cried.

***

I woke up. Someone was knocking on my door. I dried my eyes and went out.

"Hey, Jake."

"Hi, Rosie," Jake began. "Is this a bad time?"

"No, no not at all."

"Could you have Emma for the night? It's just, Ellie's dad's just had a heart attack and she needs to fly out and see him."

"Of course I'll look after Emma. Take as long as you need."

"Thanks. Here's a key to our house and an overnight bag for Emma."

"Would Emma prefer it if we stayed at your house?"

"Would you? Thanks." Jake smiled. "Well, you have the keys, Emma knows the alarm code, she'll tell you. Just head over when you're ready."

Jake walked out. I threw a couple of things in an overnight bag and headed downstairs. Emma was sitting on the couch. I figured I'd talk to her about Jack later.

"Hey, Emma, we've got to go to your house now."

"OK," Emma got up. "I'm not worried, I know Grandpa will be fine."

We walked out of the house. I left a note for Grandpa.

We got to Jake's house and got out. Emma unlocked the door and turned the alarm off. I followed her in.

"I'll show you your room later," Emma said. "Now, what happened with Jack?"

I sat down. "Do you have any idea how angry I am with you?"

"Yup. He told you that you were too late because he was engaged. I knew that would happen."

"Excuse me? You KNEW he would say that and you still let me tell him?!" When Jake and Ellie came back, one of their family members would be dead, whether it was Emma or Ellie's dad, would depend on what Emma said next.

"Yup. I knew. But, he's going to change his mind, break up with Roxanne and come tell you he loves you and wants to go out with you."

"Why the hell are you saying this? You knew he'd reject me, but you sent me right ahead."

"Well, now he knows how you feel. Trust me, he'll break up with Roxanne and go out with you."

"You know what, you're right. He will break up with Roxanne, and a purple pig will fly in through the window."

**Jack's POV**

I've been driving around for the last hour. I can't believe she loves me. I mean, I've loved her for, what, eight, nine years? I don't love Roxanne as much as I love Rosie, no where near as much. I've known Rosie all my life. I've known Roxanne five years.

Well, tough. You're engaged to Roxanne now, said a voice in my head.

But you love Rosie.

She had her chance five years ago. She blew it.

What does it matter, she loves you now.

She's too late.

I'd made up my mind. I drove home, to Roxanne.

**Rosie's POV**

Emma had finally done something useful and got two tubs of ice cream out of the freezer. We were sitting there, eating ice cream in silence. Emma got up and put 'Bullet in a Bible' in the DVD player.

When that had finished, she put in 'Good Riddance to Green Day', the DVD of their last ever concert at MK Bowl.

Just as 'Good Riddance to Green Day' was drawing to a close, the doorbell rang. I got up and went to the door. I opened the door.

"Hi, Rosie."