My 'Cool' Grandpa

Rosie in labour

**Rosie's POV**

I opened the door.

"Hi, Rosie."

"Jack, I'm sorry for what I said... " I began.

"Don't be." He leant in and kissed me.

We drew away from each other.

"Jack, what about Roxanne? What about earlier?"

"It was never Roxanne, it's always been you. Let's forget about the past, we love each other and that's all that matters."

Jack kissed me again and I knew that it was the best day of my life. Suddenly I remembered Emma.

"Umm, Jack, Emma's inside. I'm baby-sitting. I'll explain why later. Do you want to come in?"

"On one condition."

"What?"

"That you go out with me," Jack grinned.

"Hmm, tricky one, but OK," I replied. We walked inside. Emma was sitting on the couch grinning at me.

"Um, Emma, can I have a word with you?" I grinned.

"Sure." We walked into the kitchen. Jack sat on the couch.

Emma got out three glasses and filled them with water.

"Emma, how did you know what would happen?"

"I have these weird dreams, I never remember them at the time, but I get this strange feeling of déjà vu and I just know what will happen next."

"Well, I'm sorry I yelled at you earlier and thank you very much for convincing me to tell Jack how I felt."

Emma came over and gave me a hug.

"Did you dream anything else?"

"Hmm, I dreamt that we'll have pizza for dinner and Ben and Jerry's for dessert."

'Who am I to argue with fate?" I grinned. "I'll ring the pizza place. You go keep Jack company. You guys can choose some movies to watch."

Emma skipped out and I rang the pizza place.

Later that night, Emma had fallen asleep on the couch and Jack and I were just talking. The door opened. Jake and Ellie walked in.

"How's your father?"

"He's fine. It was just a minor heart attack, but he's in hospital for the next day or two. He told us to go home and look after Emma."

Jack had carried Emma upstairs and tucked her in and was now walking back downstairs.

"Hi Jake, Ellie."

"Hi. You guys can go now, how much do we owe... " Jake began.

"Don't be silly. We're family. We don't get paid," Jack smiled at him.

Jack and I walked outside into the lightly falling snow.

"I love you," Jack whispered. He leant forwards and kissed me.

**One year later**
**Rosie's POV**

Jack and I are going out to dinner tonight, but I'm really scared. I've got to tell him something important and I don't know how he'll react. I'm surprised he hasn't guessed, but that's men for you.

**Jack's POV**
Rosie and I are going out to dinner, to mark our one year anniversary. I'm going to ask her something. I'm so nervous. I have no idea what she's going to say. Fuck I'm nervous.

Rosie walked downstairs. We'd bought our own house three months ago. I offered her my arm and we walked out. We got in the car and drove to Rosie's favorite restaurant. We got our usual table and ordered our food. A bottle of champagne came.

I felt in my pocket. It was there.

"Rosie, I just want to tell you how much I love you. I know I've never loved anyone as much as I love you and I never will again. I'm just going to get straight to the point, otherwise I'll go on forever. Rosie, will you marry me?"

"Yes."

I leant forward and kissed Rosie. I raised my glass.

"To us."

Rosie bit her lip. Her eyes were clouded with worry.

"Jack, I need to tell you something. I... I.. I'm pregnant."

Holy fuck. I'm going to be a DAD. Oh my god!

"Seriously?"

"Yes. I'm sorry! Oh my God, you're freaking out, I never should have told you, now you're going to get all scared and... "

"Rosie, shh. I'm not freaking out. I can't believe it. This is amazing. This is so fantastic! How long have you known?"

"I took a test yesterday. Um, hating to change the subject, but when are we going to get married?"

"Soon. How about a month? That way, we can get married in a church because the vicar won't know you're pregnant?"

"Yeah, that's a good idea Jack. I love you."

"I love you."

Thank Christ. I'm never intending on proposing to anyone ever again. It's too stressful. Anyway, we had dinner and went to see Uncle Tre.

**Rosie's POV**

We knocked on Grandpa's door.

"Hi Rosie! Hi Jack! Come on in! Everyone's here, we're having dinner."

We walked in, and indeed everyone was there. Billie, Adie, Joey, Sarah, Jake, Ellie, Emma, Mike, Estelle, Mark, Harry, Kate, Grandpa, Ramona, Steve and Lucy were sitting round the table. The minute they saw Jack and I, they looked up, hopefully.

"Oh my God! Did you tell them?" I demanded.

"Well, I might... " Jack stammered.

"So the last person to know that you were proposing was me?"

"Well, yeah," Jack grinned sheepishly.

"Do they know the other thing?"

"No! Not unless you told them."

"What the hell's going on?" yelled Grandpa.

"I'll tell you," Emma grinned. "Jack and Rosie are engaged... "

"WE KNOW!" Everyone chorused.

"... AND Rosie's pregnant." Emma smirked.

"How did you know?" I gasped.

"Call me psychic."

"Oh my God!" Grandpa yelled. "Billie, Adie and I are going to be great-grandparents, Joey and Sarah are going to be grandparents, THIS IS SO COOL!"

Everyone got up and hugged us and everyone (apart from me and Jack) had a glass of champagne. Jack had decided that he wouldn't drink alcohol either, on the condition that I had one sip at the wedding.

"Um, just a thought, how did Emma know?" Adie asked. "I mean, you can't be more than six/eight weeks, and you can't really tell yet."

"I don't know how she knew. I just took a test yesterday and told Jack this evening. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow."

**The Next Day**
Jack and I were waiting in the doctor's surgery. The doctor called us through.

"Well, Ms. Cool, everything looks fine," he said, looking at the machine. "Both your babies look healthy... "

"Both?" asked Jack.

I was stunned. TWO babies? Oh my God.

"Yes, you're expecting twins. Those," he said, gesturing at the screen. "are your children. I'll give you two a moment." He walked out.

I was staring at the screen. It was so beautiful. Jack was looking confused and frowning.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I can't see the babies," he murmured. "I'm a terrible father."

"No, look," I said, pointing to them. "There they are."

"What do you mean? That thing that looks like a potato?" He frowned.

I kicked him. "They are not potatoes, they are our children."

"Look like potatoes to me.." muttered Jack. "Oh, no, wait! I can see them! Oh! I'm not a bad father! They're so beautiful!"

"There we go," I grinned.

We went home. Everyone was waiting to see a picture of the baby.

"Aww, it's so beautiful!" Adie gushed. Billie, Grandpa, Mike, well, all the adults nodded in agreement.

Harry was looking confused. "I can't see any babies, I only see a potato."

"Thank you!" yelled Jack, striding over and hugging Harry, who looked bewildered.

***
The month had gone by so fast, and I was standing in the back of the church, with Harry, Kate, Emma, Lucy and Adie.

Emma was my Maid of Honor, Adie, Lucy and Kate were bridesmaids (Adie had to carry Lucy) and Harry was our ring-bearer. Grandpa was giving me away.

Adie, Lucy, Harry and Kate walked out. I passed Emma her flowers. Suddenly, a memory flashed into my head.

"Don' be sad, Wosie, he wuvs oo. I know it. He be marry oo," Emma said.

I felt a warm rush of affection for Emma. She was so sweet, trying to make me feel better.
"Of course, Emma. Thank you," I said, drying my tears and hugging her.

"No, weally! He be marry oo and I be bisemaid!" Emma shouted.


I hugged Emma tight. "Thank you, Emma. If you hadn't talked me into telling Jack how I felt, we probably wouldn't be here today."

"Anytime," Emma grinned.

"How did you know we'd get married?"

"Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies," Emma smiled at me and winked, walking out. Grandpa walked in and took my arm.

"Rosie, I'm no expert on marriage, two divorces really don't give the image of expertise, but I know you and Jack will make this work. You really are perfect for each other, but please don't cock it up like I did," Grandpa said.

I laughed. "Don't worry Grandpa, I won't." I gave him a hug.

"Well, you're not Rosie Cool anymore, you're not my Princess of Cool," smiled Grandpa, a tear in his eye.

"Nope, I'm Rosie Armstrong-Cool, Queen of Cool," I smiled back. Grandpa looked really touched, as if he'd expected me just to be Rosie Armstrong. I like being a Cool too much though.

Suddenly Grandpa slapped his forehead. "Crap! I'm meant to be walking you down the aisle now! But first," he got a box from his pocket. It had a locket in it. "This was your Grandmother's, I gave it to her at our wedding, I know it's not exactly a good luck charm, but she would have wanted you to have it," he said, fastening it round my neck.

"Now, let's go get you married." We walked out and I saw Jack. We smiled at each other, nervously, like teenagers on their first date. I almost laughed.

Grandpa put my hand in Jacks. "Look after her, kid," he said, with a tear in his eye.

"I will."

Grandpa walked to his seat and got out his handkerchief. I turned to Jack and the reverend began the service. I don't remember much, it was kind of like a weird dream, I'd never felt like that before. All I remember was repeating what the reverend said. All of a sudden, it seemed, the service ended.

"You may now kiss the bride," the reverend smiled.

Jack kissed me and pulled me close.

**Jack's POV**

Rosie and I walked out of the church. I knew I had done the right thing by marrying her. We smiled at each other and got in the car.

"So, where next?" I grinned. "Pizza Hut?"

Rosie kicked me gently on the ankle. "No, Grandpa's place."

"Are you sure? They do it for free, a newly-wed special?" I teased.

"We can also eat for free at Grandpas."

"Meh, I guess so."

"Aww, don't sulk. We'll go to Pizza Hut tomorrow."

"We can't. We go on our honeymoon tomorrow. I can't believe you forgot!" I gasped, pretending to be mortally offended.

Rosie kissed me.

"Oh well, you forgot one little thing, I'll get over it."

**8 months later**
**Rosie's POV**

I walked into Grandpa's house. It was September and I was two weeks overdue. The doctors said they'd have to induce labor in two days.

Needless to say, having two kids inside you isn't fun. Especially when they kept kicking.

Grandpa walked out of the kitchen and saw the grumpy look on my face.

"Aw, what's wrong?"

"The babies keep kicking."

Grandpa frowned. "Isn't it good when they kick?"

"It is good when they kick me. It's NOT good when they kick each other." I scowled.

"Oh."

I got a pain in my stomach. One of them had kicked the other, who kicked me.

"Hey! Stop kicking each other!" I yelled. They obstinately kicked each other again. "Don't make me come in there!"

"There's a thought," said Billie, emerging from the kitchen.

"Hi," I said.

"How are you? Apart from the obvious."

"I'm OK. I guess you heard that the babies keep kicking each other."

"I'll sort them out when they get here."

"How?"

"Bribing them. Nothing makes them do what you want more than a big bowl of ice cream," Billie smiled, winking at me.

"Where's Jack?" I asked.

"At work."

"Oh. Why is he at work? I'm not."

"Well, Jack isn't giving birth to twins."

"I'm not giving birth to twins. They won't come out. They're being assholes."

"They obviously get it from him," Grandpa grinned, pointing at Billie.

"Hey!"

**Tre's POV**

Rosie looked really fed up. I got her a bowl of ice cream and we sat down and watched TV.

Suddenly, her face contorted with pain and she gasped.

"What's wrong?" Billie and I asked.

"I don't know, but.. Oh crap!" Rosie replied, clutching her stomach.

The door bell rang and echoed through the house. Billie ran to get it. I sat in my seat, not sure what to do. He walked back in with Adie.

Adie saw Rosie and walked over. Billie and I went into the kitchen.

We were silent for a few moments until Billie spoke up.

"Girlie stuff is scary," he whined.

"Apart from dresses and make-up," I corrected.

"Well yeah, but girls get weird." Billie whined. Adie ran in pale as a ghost.

"Guys, we've got to go to the hospital. I think Rosie's in labor."