My 'Cool' Grandpa

Recovery... kinda

"Sir, the doctors are finding it hard to concentrate because of your yelling. I am taking you to the relative's room. Now."

She took me, Billie and Adie outside. She led us through the hospital to a small room. We walked in and she closed the door.

"Mr. Cool, your granddaughter has suffered convulsions and a minor heart attack. Her heart stopped beating after she had another, major heart attack. The doctors are doing everything they can to resuscitate her. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, Sir. I will let you know any changes in her condition."

She walked out. I could feel myself shaking from the sobs that had taken over me. I heard Adie sobbing.

After a few minutes, the door opened. I jumped up. It was Ramona. She ran up to me and hugged me. I held on to her. She was my little girl, the only child I had left.

"Daddy, what's happening?" she asked.

I couldn't answer her, I was crying too hard.

Billie walked over to her. "Mona, Frankie, Rose and Rosie were driving to see your Dad, when... when a truck hit them. Frankie and Rose passed away, but Rosie... Rosie survived but she's just had a heart attack."

Ramona screamed, "NO! You're lying! You bastard!! How could you say that? Where's Frankie? Where's my baby brother? I want to see Frank!!"

I spoke up, I had to. "Mona, sweetie, Billie's not lying. Frankie... Frankie... " I couldn't finish. Mona ran up to me and hugged me.

The door opened and we turned around. The nurse walked in.
"Mr. Cool,"

"Mr. Cool," she said. "Rosie has been stabilized and it looks likely that she will pull through, however we can't guarantee anything. The next 24 hours are critical. I am willing to answer any questions you may have."

I was so relieved. She was going to be all right.

"Is there... What are the long term effects going to be?" I heard Ramona say.

"We will have to wait and see, but there are chances that she may have repeat heart attacks at any time. She has also broken several ribs and a leg. We also suspect that she may have spinal damage, but we aren't sure."

"May we see her?" I asked.

"Of course."

*Rosie's POV*
I could feel pains in my chest, worse than ever. I could hear Grandpa, but his voice was fading. I tried to call out to him, but everything went black. I couldn't see anything, feel anything or hear anything.

I felt a sudden jerk and I could hear people talking.

"She's back! We got her! Someone, tell her Grandfather."

I could hear beeping and suddenly, I saw everything again. The door opened. Grandpa walked in with Aunt Mona. He ran up to me and hugged me.

"I'm sorry Grandpa. I love you and I'm sorry I yelled at you. I'm sorry I upset you and said you were an awful drummer. I didn't mean it. You're the best person in the world." I gabbled.

"Rosie, you don't need to apologize to me at all. I'm your Grandpa, you'll always be my special Rosie and no matter what you do, I'll always look after you. Shave a swearword in your head, steal all the ice cream I ever buy, buy a pet monkey that breaks my drums, as sure as I have a hole in my ass, I won't like it, but I'll stick by you."

"Thank you Grandpa."

Aunt Ramona came over and hugged me. All three of us were together. We were all alone, only us left. Grandma had died of cancer, Ramona's mom had immigrated to Australia (and besides, they didn't talk) and now Dad was gone too.

Aunt Ramona and Grandpa had brought me some food. Grandpa pulled a Twinkie out of his pocket. He handed it to me.

"Here is a gift so precious my child. You must never loose it. Twinkies will protect you from all harm. Always remember... "

"YOU CANNOT HURT A TWINKIE!" Aunt Ramona and I said.

Grandpa looked hurt. "Hey, that's what I say!! Now, kiddo, seriously," he took the Twinkie back. "Twinkies are miracles of science!! Just look at the damn thing! You just can't harm it at all! Step on it, it springs back! Throw it against a wall, it's not affected!! It retains its original Twinkie-shape!! Now, if I take the Twinkie and do this... " Grandpa ate the Twinkie. "It HAS gone for now, but in a couple of hours... "

"EWWWW! SHUT UP!" Aunt Mona and I chorused.

"Anyway, I've been thinking and earlier, I think I spoke too soon." Grandpa piped up. "I guess you can shave a swearword in your head, that's OK. You can buy a monkey, but you keep it the fuck away from my drums. But, there is no fuckin' way in Hell you're stealing all my ice cream."

"Thanks Grandpa. So, about this monkey?" I asked.

"You're looking at him."

I turned to the door and saw Uncle Billie and Aunt Adie.

Aunt Adie ran up to me and hugged me so hard.

"Careful 80, she doesn't want three near-death experiences in two days," joked Uncle Billie.

For the first time in what seemed like forever, things seemed normal. But there were two people I couldn't stop thinking about...