My 'Cool' Grandpa

Flying

**Jack's POV**
I was looking at the wall. Damn, I'm never telling Emma anything again. Babies sure can drop you in the shit. How was I meant to know she'd remember?

I started biting my nails. I know, I know, I'll regret it later, but it's a habit. A fucking annoying habit. I kicked my foot against the wall.

"Goodnight guys. Don't stay up too late! There's popcorn and stuff in the fridge. NO MORE CHOCOLATE! We saw Emma," Uncle Joey called down the stairs.

I heard his door close. I carried on kicking my feet against the wall. I'd made a big grey mark. Shit. Dad's going to kill me.

"Jack... " I heard Rosie say. I walked into the kitchen. I got Rosie a chocolate milkshake and myself a strawberry milkshake. I filled a big bowl with popcorn and took the food in on a tray.

I put it down on the table and handed Rosie a chocolate milkshake.

"D'you wanna put a DVD in?" I asked, trying at all costs to avoid the conversation.

"Jack, what did Emma mean?" Rosie asked.

Aw crap. What the fuck am I meant to say? That I've had a crush on her for about three years? That I only tease her because it makes her blush and she looks all pretty and girly? That her eyes are like sapphires, midnight pools, whenever I try to tell her that I like her, I look in her eyes and get lost in them...

Just like now. I've got to answer her, what do I say?

"I was talking to her the other day, and, um, I was telling her about, um, about all the.. Special people we know." OH MY GOD. Anything would have been better than that. What am I saying? Oh god, I can't stop, I've got to carry on or she'll suspect something.
"She was, um, kind of, y'know, confused so I, um, made a chart with pictures of Grandpa, Grandma, Uncle Mike, Uncle Tre, Mom, Dad, her Mom and Dad, Aunt Ramona and Aunt Estelle. Then I put you and me on there, along with Estelle's twins, y'know, the babies, Harry and Kate," I began.
Yeah, I'm lying, (really badly) but she'll never know that.
"I told her that we love everyone on the chart and that we love our 'cousins', Rosie, Harry and Kate very, very much because they're a lot of fun."

I gulped. Did she buy it?

**Rosie's POV**
"I told her that we love everyone on the chart and that we love our 'cousins', Rosie, Harry and Kate very very much because they're a lot of fun."

Hmm. I don't know if I believe him. I mean, Emma does get confused easily, but why did he act so embarrassed?
I want to believe him.

"Ok. I was just kind of weirded out, you know? We're best friends, so it was really weird for me to hear that," I said. "I'll put a movie in."

**Jack's POV**
Phew. She bought it. I'm never telling Emma anything ever again.

We watched Scary Movie 13, which is actually a horror film, then we watched Bullet in a Bible. We began to watch Harry Potter 7, but we must have fallen asleep because Dad woke us up the next morning and the DVD menu was back up.

"OK guys, for breakfast we have pancakes, Fruit Loops and toast. Get what you want while it's hot," Dad said. "I hope you don't want a wake-up call every morning, young man."

I sighed. "Whatever Dad. What time is it?" I yawned.

" 6 30," Dad said. "AM."

"You got us up at HALF PAST SIX IN THE MORNING?!" I yelled. "We don't have to be at the airport until TEN!"

"Yes, but what time to we have to leave?" Dad smirked.

"Dad," I said gritting my teeth. "The airport is fifteen fucking minutes away."

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that," Dad frowned. "Come on everyone, BREAKFAST!"

I got up. I threw on a pair of jeans and a Green Day t-shirt. Hey, they're good, even if they are seventy and well, my grandpa. I don't just like them because of my Grandpa. I heard a Green Day song on the radio and looked up Green Day on the internet.
Then I saw a picture of them. I knew they looked familiar, then I saw the biographies and nearly had a heart attack. I love Green Day and the fact that my Grandpa's in it has nothing to do with it. I like the music. Anyway, my grandpa's way cooler than anyone else, apart from maybe Harry and Kate's grandpa, or Rosie's.

I walked into the kitchen. Rosie was bright eyed and, well. Not bushy-tailed, that's beyond her, but y'know. She's a big morning person.

"Hey," she smiled.

"Hey," I replied. Mom was sitting down eating pancakes, Rosie was eating Fruit Loops and Dad was eating pancakes. I grabbed some toast and sat down.

"Dad, who's coming to Europe?" I asked.

"Well, obviously, Grandpa, Tre and Mike, me, mom, you, Jake, Sarah, Emma, Estelle, Harry and Kate are staying with their Dad, and Rosie. I'm not sure if Mona's coming or not."

"Alright, cool."

"This is going to be so much FUN!" Rosie said. "Can we baby-sit Emma again? Please! She's really funny! No, fun. She just says stuff that's really cute."

Dad smiled. "Well, I'm not sure if Jake and Sarah will let you baby-sit again. Well, not unless all the chocolate is under lock and key."

"Hey! We thought she behaved well so we gave her a bar of chocolate," objected Rosie.

"One bar, ten bars, who can tell?" Dad teased.

Mom put her plate in the dish washer and went to get ready, as did Rosie. I finished my toast and got dressed.

**Rosie's POV**

OK, I can't believe that in three days I am going to a GREEN DAY CONCERT!

I mean, I've watched Grandpa, Uncle Billie and Uncle Mike practice in the basement, but seeing them LIVE is a whole different thing! It's going to be so completely awesome!

Jack and I have to go to the press conference where Grandpa, Billie and Mike announce their retirement. We're kind of scared. Have you ever been mobbed by teenies? I have.

It was my tenth birthday and we were walking to the cinema to see some film.

Grandpa was giving me a piggy back and suddenly, about twenty girls ran up to us and started screaming stuff like

"Oh my gods! Tre Cool! We love you! I want your autograph! Can you take me to meet Billie and Mike?"

Grandpa was really cool about it. He said, "Que? Me no comprende?"

They looked at him weirdly and ran off, yelling

"Oh my gods, Ray ray! You gots the wrong guy you retard! He's, like, Chinese!"

That was one of the best birthdays ever. Then, on Grandpa's birthday, people were mobbing around outside the house so he dropped water balloons on them from his bedroom window. We also had flour balloons, ketchup balloons and loads more. It was so much fun.

Anyway, a couple of hours later, we were flying over the Atlantic Ocean and everyone was asleep, apart from Billie, Adie, Jack and I. We were chatting about the concert.

"Billie, please don't!" Jack and I pleaded.

"Hey, hey HEY!" Billie objected. "It's Green Day tradition that I pleasure myself live on stage!"

"Billie, sweetie. You're 73 years old," Aunt Adie said. "It would be disgusting, no offence. It would be like if you kissed a guy at this concert."

"I'm not allowed to do THAT either?" Billie yelled.

"Grandpa, who the Hell would want to kiss you?" said Jack.

"Hey!" said Aunt Adie. "Watch it, boy!"

"Well, he's old, ugly....." Jack began.

"Hey!" Billie interrupted. "Watch it young man!"

"One grandparent at a time please!" Jack yelled. He collapsed back onto his chair and gazed out of the window.

"Isn't it cool that your birthday is the day we perform?" said Uncle Billie.

"Yeah! It's the best birthday present ever!" I said. I was SO excited about this birthday. "I can't wait to be fourteen. Jack's been teasing me ever since he turned fourteen in January."

"Well, on his 100th birthday, he'll be old and ugly, and you can look at him and say 'Ha ha! I'm 99 and you're 100!" Billie said.

"Billie, when you're that old, surely it won't matter?" said Aunt Adie.

Uncle Billie thought for a moment, frowned and said, "Damn you woman! Why are you always right?"

"Because I'm perfect," grinned Adie.

"Oh piss off." Billie grumbled.

Adie gave Uncle Billie a hug. They sat like that for a while and we chatted about loads of stuff that doesn't really matter. We also had a little toast, because Bush had died the previous morning.

Jake woke up. He looked around. "Where the fuck is Emma?!"