Status: ongoing, chapter 3 is fixed, 12 chapters in total, updated weekly or monthly

Fat Chance

Chapter 4 - Her Band is Ambitious

Dawn called her best friend Judy to fetch her since she had the best commodity of all. Judy Hamilton had a brand new Subaru Impreza car in flashing green.

On the road, Judy kept pestering her to apply for a driver’s license since Dawn already has a car, a 1998 Toyota model her parents got her when she entered for college.

It’s hard to admit but Dawn had a ridiculous phobia about cars since she was four. Her hot wheeled father crashed their Ford Pinto in front of their porch. Poor little Dawn was inside the car, unscathed though scarred for life.

On the road, Judy kept on babbling about unimportant things.

When Judy realized that Dawn was unresponsive she diverted the topic to their high school days. It was one of the things that never missed a reply.

“Sandy’s pregnant.”

“So?”

Judy knew she would react. “That’s an enthusiastic response.”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “This girl again. Why should I care?”

“So, you remember her didn’t you?” Judy’s eyes were on the road but totally in the mood for a salacious talk.

“Why are you bringing this up?”

“Nothing, Dawnie. I always wondered about what you felt back then when she confessed to you.”

Dawn grunted a bit but later replied. “It’s not really a bad idea if I go out with her, I just wished it was a REAL confession, you know.”

The strawberry blonde girl almost choked with surprise. “Ahaaa!!”

The Subaru car swerved a little almost hitting the lamp post.

“Judy, eyes on the road please.”

“Not denying it anymore, are you?” Judy said ignoring Dawn’s reminder.

“What am I denying?”

“Stop the pretensions, Dawnie. It took you long enough to come out. Still, you owe me fifty bucks.”

“I hated you for that.”

“Lesbian after graduation. That’s who you are. It’s like the other way around.”

“What?”

Dawn didn’t like the whole idea of “coming-out” especially when there is a conspiracy going on behind her back. It irritated her to no end when they set up something like a TV prank just to confirm her sexuality or whatever they wanted to call it. Judy still had it all on tape much to Dawn’s chagrin.

“So you still have a contact with Bill?”

“William?” William was the bassist of their previous high school band. She and Dawn dated for a while after the confession incident. The highly vexed Judy bothered Dawn to no end about her extreme self-denial. They bantered like sisters and frequently squeezed each other’s patience.

“I haven’t heard about him since graduation if that’s what you wanted to hear.”

“I feel sorry for him for being your beard.” Judy faked a sad tone.

“Fuck you, Judy. Just drive.”

Judy hollered and sped up near the speed limit. As always Judy got the better end of the bargain.

---

Judy dropped Dawn to the studio and hastily went to sneak up in a soccer game practice. Dawn didn’t bother to ask whose guy she’s pining on now.

The rented studio was just a couple of blocks from the cafeteria, something very convenient for her. She also wondered how the band could afford this kind of commodity.

Are all the people around her flamingly rich?

Dawn felt the vibration in her jean’s pocket inside Judy’s car a while ago but decided to ignore it thinking it was just Nathan. To make sure, she paused to check her mobile phone before entering the building door.

Hey, how r u?

What a surprise. It was Samantha.

They met three days ago. She admitted that she couldn’t stop thinking about the way they exchanged looks. But she couldn’t believe that the blonde still has any interest in her.

However, Dawn didn’t have the initiative to text back.

“That will complicate things.”

“And it’s a surreal kind of friendship.”

“What’s wrong with that kind of friendship?”

You need to focus.

“But I kinda like her.”

“Why are you selling yourself this easily, are you in love with her?”

“I don’t know. But I love her butt.”

”Remember what she did to your brother.”

The voices in her head argued and hoped to convince her inner self to do the right thing.

Touching the surface of Samantha was scorching her alive and Dawn didn’t know if getting close to her was appropriate. Just like the Roxette song.

You know. She’s a little bit dangerous.

--

Maroon color painted the studio as seen from the transparent glass window. The sound manager in a crew cut was reading a Rolling Stone magazine ignoring the girls as they sat down in a vacant small room just across.

Inside the studio, a small banner wrote Gregorian Baby in bold gothic letters.

Dawn yawned. It took her over night to rehash her drumming skills. Her arms got stiff after years without practice. It’s a good thing she didn’t threw her drum set for donation.

Ashley mentioned beforehand that they have at least six original pieces. The five have complete lyrics; one is an instrumental.

She also mentioned that another one was still on the works.

Dawn stared at the music sheet handed down to her by Ashley who wore what appears to be Tuesday’s costume from Addam’s Family. Her lips red as cherry and her hair, divided into two pigtails.

Dawn noticed the relatively queer titles on their list like Spring Waltz Boner, Crayon Athena, Stoner Henge, Angelic Suicide, Merry Mother of Gaudy and Old Pumpkin Monks.

Some of the lyrics made no sense to Dawn. Like the ones in Crayon Athena.

Half of my wits departed. The babe in front of the moose. Eyelashes in pink hue. Tie my knots and screw? Dawn read in her head trying to figure out what in the world that meant.

However despite the meaningless conundrums in their lyrics they have a growing number of fans considering the number of gigs they have been to in the area and out. They wished for a big break. And their only ticket to that goal is to win the upcoming Battle of the Bands. Aside from the cash prize, a recording company will hire them. The contest will be held at the end month of October.

The recent and unfortunate accident with one of their members hindered their band to practice for a while. Their former drummer Valerie fell off the railings while skateboarding. She broke not only her right hand but also two ribs and an ankle.

The other members prepared the instruments for the tune up while Ashley prepped Dawn to her cues. The drummer girl however couldn’t help but be distracted.

The band name speaks well of its members. They market themselves as a Goth /slash/ Rock Band. For some reason they hated branding themselves punk.

Other than getting out from Judy’s blackmail, what she’ll get from this is still a wicked mystery. However, a nostalgic feeling embraced her when she heard the strum of guitar and the keys of the piano.

Caterina Castillo, or simply Rina, sported a short emo hair with blue highlights. Also standing five feet and eight, the bassist is also the tallest in the group. Just like Ashley she was also wearing some sort of weird apparel. Rina had a Kiss-style make-up and her body was covered with black leather tights that had designs borrowed from the Power Rangers.

A teenage girl named Elisabeth Rupert did the lead guitar and vocals. Unlike all the dark imagery the other two had, Elisabeth or Beth, as she prefers it, donned a Goldilocks’ wig and baby blue frocks. And to match that outfit she wore an electric blue lipstick and blue doll shoes. The small doll she carried like a treasure also resembled her.

“So, that’s the new girl?” she heard Rina spoke to Ashley. Dawn tried to ignore the skepticism in her tone.

“Mina wonders ‘when will the Count of the Rose come back?’ ” Beth seemed to ask her doll.

“She’s beyond repair and besides you caused it.” Rina mocked while looking at her fingernails.

“That was harsh, Caterina. Mina demands an apology!”

“Argh.” Rina tried to escape Beth’s scratches of fury. “Stop with the violence, you freak!”

Oh, the irony of this place.

“Mina?” Dawn asked. “I thought her name was Beth?”

“The doll.” Ashley whispered ignoring the two fight.

“Oh.”

“Who are you?” Beth asked letting go of Caterina. She held up Mina in front of her face.

“Dawn.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Uh.”

“Answer her.” Rina sounded as if something catastrophic might happen if Dawn didn’t.

“The substitute drummer.”

“Substitute Drummer Dawn. From what coven did you come from?”

“Coven?”

“She hasn’t been turned yet,” Ashley answered sensing Dawn’s confusion.

“Well, we only allow vampires here.”

“Yes, she will be one, Mina,” Ashley reassured.

“Why are we talking to a doll?” Dawn couldn’t help herself to ask. It pays to be clueless sometimes.

Rina slapped a hand on her own face wishing Dawn didn’t ask. “There you go.”

“Mina may look like a doll but she has a soul.” Beth had a pout on her face. “Mina lived through eras by transferring her soul from one doll to another.”

Beth went on about how Mina was supposed to be the bride of the enigmatic Count of the Rose and that the love they have is a tragedy. Rina bemoaned as if something died inside her brain over the course of the story.

“. . . and Mina is very lonely when the Count left. Mina couldn’t sing anymore.”

Beth broke out and cried after her epic narration of love and tragedy. The Count of the Rose she was referring to was Valerie, as Ashley noted in a whisper to Dawn.

“What is your fucking problem?” Rina was still on it.

“I think she’s depressed,” Dawn whispered.

Rina crossed her arms her face stinging from Beth’s assault a while ago. “If I may, I think it’s called Manic Depressive.”

Ashley snapped her fingers to gain their attention. “I know.”

“So, is this the part where you say something profound and calm her down?” Rina said sarcastically.

“I think a new count is on the way for Mina.” Ashley patted Beth’s back.

“Really?”

“Yeah, but he’s battling some fierce werewolves.”

Beth’s eyes began to glow. Her world albeit bizarre was not alien to Ashley. It almost sounded like they created it together.

“That’s right. Before we knew it he’ll be here to answer your call.” Ashley stared at the drummer girl. “Right, Dawn?”

Dawn looked at Rina for a clue but she gave her a shrug.

Beth quickly recovered from her misery and took her purple Gibson Les Paul. Her giddy face was cute and yet harbours mystery and weirdness Dawn couldn’t grasp.

Ashley dragged the surprised Dawn outside the room and went to a vacant one.

“Hey, I have a favour,” she started.

“Let’s be specific. I don’t do financial favours.”

“It’s about your clothes.”

“I know,” Dawn sounded embarrassed. “You should have told me it was Halloween night.”

“About that I have something for you.” Ashley went in closer. “I need to you to take off your clothes.”

Dawn raised an eyebrow when she pulled a tape measure out of her pocket. “Your ‘thinking ahead’ scares me sometimes.”

“Well?”

Dawn narrowed her eyes. “What are you suggesting?”

“It won’t hurt much.”

“Uh, shall we go to the rehearsals?”

Ashley twirled her hair with a finger not meeting her eyes. “Ah, before that I needed you to do something.”

“What is it?”

“Like I said I need you to strip down.”

“Can we do this some other time?”

“You have to play the new Count!” Ashley locked the door. “And I’m going to take your measurements.”

“You’re really serious about this?”

Ashley nodded.

“I—uh. How much again are you paying me?“