Are We Human

1/1

"Hey grandma," I smiled at the slightly chunky elderly woman that had helped to adopt me when I was seven years old. Since then, she had been the most important person in my world. I hated the fact that I had to purposefully schedule time now so that I could drive three hours to see this woman. It just didn't seem fair, but I at least still got to make the time to see her. I was going to hate losing that time. I was starting college in the fall and as much as I wanted to move close to my grandmother, the college that I needed was six hours away.

A bright smile lit the woman's face and her green eyes started to sparkle up at me. "Hayley! You came," she cried as I leaned down and kissed her cheek. The skin beneath was soft, but wrinkled and weathered. "I'm so glad to see you. You can finally meet Andrew."

I had been hearing about this Andrew since sometime at the beginning of summer. I didn't know what he looked like or what was so special about him, but my grandmother seemed to adore the "young man" that she called Andrew. Then again for Catherine Innis, young was a rather relative term compared to my own definition of more close to my own age. I wasn't going to argue with her about it though. It was a stupid thing to try and argue when I didn't know how much time I would have left with Catherine.

"Actually," Catherine continued. "He promised to have lunch with me today," she continued eagerly. "You can come with me and meet him. You will won't you Hayley? I just know he'll be perfect for you."

"Grandma!" I cried blushing. "I'm only eighteen. I'm taking things slow in that department," I mumbled the last part my cheeks turning the color of my hair.

Catherine shook her head as she took my arm and began to guide me through the area that had become a home for her. "Yes, and that is perfectly old enough to start looking for love missy. Everyone needs it and that includes you," she told me with a curt nod.

Catherine was a stubborn Irish woman and though I could be pretty stubborn myself, sometimes fighting with her was a lost cause. I wasn't giving my love life up as a lost cause. "I have love Grandma. I have you and Momma Bernice and Poppa Philip and even Jared," I pointed out.

The woman rolled her eyes as she continued pulling me down the hall. "Family doesn't count. I know that as a grandmother I should just be happy as long as you are, but I have seen what you're like when you're alone Hayley and I don't want to see that ever again," Catherine said shaking her head.

I flinched at the memory. A lot of people didn't know what was my life was like before the Innis family had taken me in and I didn't want them to. The fact that these people that I called my family knew drove me crazy. I nodded instead of trusting myself to say anything. Let Catherine think she had won. It would be good for her. That was what I told myself over and over again as we entered the dining area.

A guy my own age stood waving to someone and I looked behind us just a moment before my grandmother jerked me forward in the boy's direction. I looked up at her only to see a bright smile on her face as she waved back! My jaw dropped as I looked at the male again. God he was gorgeous! It simply wasn't fair! Was that grandma's friend Andrew? Even as I thought it I simply couldn't believe it. It didn't seem humanly possible. Besides, why would he be living in a rest home. That seemed more than just improbable. I was fairly certain that it was impossible.

"Glad to see that you came Cat," the young man greeted her before turning to look at me. "And you must be Hayley right? Cat's told me a lot about you. Though you lied to me Cat," he said a pout touching his lips. "She's prettier than a kelpie."

My cheeks turned and even brighter shade of red as the old family joke was mentioned. "You told someone that?" I asked in shock only earning a laugh from both Catherine and the man.

"Hey, it's okay," he insisted. "I think it was a really cute story," he assured me still smiling, laughter dancing behind his eyes. "I'm Andrew Jenks. Your grandmother has been really good to me during my time here."

I managed a smile when he said that. "You're right," I agreed. "She is really good at that kind of thing." I reached out and we shook hands before he held out a chair first for Catherine and then for me. That day was the best day of my life. Even after grandma went to bed, I stuck around the outside of the nursing home just talking to Andrew for hours about almost everything. We talked about socio-economics, politics, food, and even stupid cartoons.

My watch beeped and I look down only to notice that it was already three in the morning. "Oh God! I have to go. It's a couple hours back home already and my parents are probably worried sick about me." I sprang up from the grass trying to brush it from my pants legs as I frantically looked around for my purse.

Andrew touched my shoulder and I turned to see him holding it out to me. I reached out to take it from him and the next thing I knew, a hand had grabbed my wrist and my body was pulled flush against Andrew's as his lips pressed against mine. I can't tell you what that kiss tasted like or even how long it lasted. All I can remember was the shock followed by the sweet pleasure of it. But then it was over and I was simply staring at time. "Maybe you can come back and visit Catherine again...well...and me?" he asked tentatively.

I nodded unable to actually form words. The smile on his face did something funny to my stomach. I didn't move again until he had already slipped back inside of the rest home, turning back at the door to wave at me, I finally managed to move when I waved back at him.

That was the first time I fell in love.