Status: Hiatus. Meanwhile, check out my "Notebook of a Hell-trapped Girl"

Ten Days in Hell

2nd Day

When I woke up, I felt like I may need to pinch myself. Nothing felt real. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. When I stood from my bed, I used the bathroom and stood in front of the mirror. How was I supposed to brush my teeth when my toothbrush was locked in the closet?

I wet my hands and smoothed my hair back so I could put it into a neat-ish ponytail, then splashed water on my hands. I cracked my door a little bit and glanced around.

The main room was dark and Transformers 2 was playing on the TV screen. A middle-aged woman with a blonde bob and glasses motioned for me to come in there. I walked slowly to the carpet and sat down slowly behind all the other patients. Two different boys sat in chairs close to the TV. One was staring blankly at the wall, and the other was squinting at the screen and asking silly questions like,"How do the transformers transform?"

"Rachel, it's about 11. Lunch gets here at 12. You slept through breakfast, but would you like a light snack? Maybe some yogurt?" she asked me.

"No ma'am," I replied.

I zoned out and stared at the television while the patients turned around to look at me again. All I did was pretend I didn't notice.

Lunch was not that good. I didn't get to decide on my meals the first day, so I was given the typical vegetarian meal of carrots, broccoli, and mashed potatoes. I decided I'd wait until dinner to eat.

That afternoon dragged on slowly until my mom arrived. She brought me some clothes, some books, and a composition notebook as a makeshift journal. I cried on her shoulder and begged her to change the way things were at home. I wanted my stepdad to leave. I wanted her to move somewhere else with me. I wanted to live, but I didn't. Nothing made sense.

After our visit, I cried even more. I wanted her back and I wanted her to be with me. I'd never missed my mother so much.

Dinner wasn't much of an improvement from lunch. The only difference was, I got a fruit cup and a portion of lumpy macaroni. I felt that I might lose a lot of weight while I was here.

That night during our quiet time, I found a book in the skimpy library. It was a silly murder mystery, one that I was reading to make myself fall asleep so I wouldn't have to deal with the less-than-intelligent patients anymore for the day.

I was reading through the third chapter when it dawned on me that it was Independence Day. I sat on my windowsill and peered up at the sky, waiting for fireworks. I waited and waited. I waited for hours and I saw no fireworks.

There are no fireworks in Hell.