Killing Me Slowly

New Profession

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~~+~+~+~+~
So…I can officially cross off professional pole dancing off my bucket list. Eh, no big deal. I was bored and saw Dean flirting with some waitress and it really wasn’t hard to get a job in that bar. So, I quickly got up on the stage in my bra and underwear and started dancing around a pole…and I have to say it was actually kind of fun. I was even interacting with some of the other dancers and they were laughing…which I never witnessed before: a pole dancer laughing. Then, Dean looked over and saw me and I could tell he was in shock. Him and the waitress exchanged some words but she walked away smiling and then he came walking over to where the huge crowd of guys was now and he was laughing as he held out a 20, leaning forward on the stage on his elbows. I swung around on the pole, snatched his 20 in my mouth and slid in front of him, getting right in his face, smirking. I was having fun, that’s all that mattered, right?

We left…once I got my clothes back on. “I think I just found a new way for me and Brit to hussle for money” I said, excitedly, jumping around, waving my new money in the air.

“Yea, I don’t think so” he chuckled.

“Why not? I’m good at it. This money could pay for a motel room and breakfast the next morning”

“Find a different profession, Mel” he still chuckled.

“Hmph” I replied and stuck the money in my back pocket.

“I’ve never seen hookers and pole dancers laugh before though” he stated.

“Yea me either…some of them didn’t look too happy with me though”

“Yea, you were kind of the center of attention up there”

“Hey, not my fault they wish they had all of this” I joked.

He laughed. For a moment…I really felt like everything was okay…for us…for the world…but we’re in reality…where leviathans want to rule and demons roam around for their own sick play and ghosts kill for vengeance. I smiled at the ground for a second…and then I looked back up at him and saw he was just staring at me. “Mel…” he said and stopped walking so I faced him.

“What is it?”

“I can’t keep doing this. I can’t just keep being around you and pretend like there’s nothing…here” he gestured to us.

“Then, I’ll make it easy for you, Dean. I’ll leave” I laughed a little like it was the most obvious answer in the world.

“But, I can’t let you do that either…it’ll hurt too much”

“Since when does Dean Winchester show this much emotion?”

“Well, I’m trying something new” I crossed my arms.

“Then, what do you suggest we do, Dean?” I asked, lightly.

“You really want me to tell you?” He came closer to me, putting a hand to my waist and tried to kiss me.

“I can’t” I turned my head.

“Why not?” he murmured.

He didn’t get angry or annoyed. He just kept his face close to mine and simply asked me why. I looked back at him. “Because…it’s all too difficult to handle at once. I’m a fantastic multi-tasker but not when it comes to you”

“I’m going to ask you something you asked me a few weeks ago…I just need to know…do you still love me?”

I sighed and stared at him in awe. I didn’t reply right away but I cupped his cheek with my hand and he tilted his head into it and shut his eyes as if he was trying to memorize my touch…and I did start to lean up to kiss him. But, then my phone started to ring. So, I went back down and he opened his eyes. We both just stood there for a moment…then I answered it as I still just stared into his eyes.

“Yea, Brit” I voiced.

But, my eyes furrowed to the ground when I heard her frantic tone. “You need to get here now

“What’s wrong? Where are you?”

“Sam is getting married, Mel! And I’m not the bride!”

What?” I exclaimed and just looked at Dean.


So, we rushed to the chapal that she told me they were all at and apparently Sam was getting married…to Becky. Crazy Becky. Crazy Becky that used to date Chuck who writes books about our lives and is obsessed with us Becky. Yea…her. We tried to make sense of it all but Sam was just rambling on about how he was in love with Becky and how they were meant for each other and explained how he just wasn’t in love with Brit anymore…which we knew was not Sam. Brit knew it too so she wasn’t so much upset with him…she just wanted to rip Becky’s head off. She was stressing and pacing so much I had to take her out of the room while Sam and Becky friggin got married…Dean was best man, of course.

Then, Sam told us he would be in Denver when we decided to be supportive of him and his new marriage. When Brit, Dean and I walked to the parking lot, to our cars, that’s when I said she was giving him a love potion. I just didn’t know where she was getting it from since she was definitely not a witch. We had to figure it out though. So, we headed to Denver.

We called Bobby to tell him about Sam’s new marriage and he made some joke about how we would feel an absence of a fourth person while working a case we stumbled upon so he sent another hunter our way…a scrawny, weird guy (Garth)…who also immediately started to hit on Brit, which was hilarious. But, then, we started to work. To make the long story short…we found out people were selling their souls. Good old crossroad demons, gotta love them. It made us think of Becky and Sam though, so we went to her house but no one was there…but there was a picture of Becky holding a fish in front of a cabin…and that’s where we were heading now.

Our new hunter friend went to turn the knob, but it was locked so then he took out a pin. But, I just put a hand on his shoulder to move him to the side and I kicked it down. We all trudged inside to see Sam and Becky come walking over to us from the bedroom and Sam was putting on his belt.

“Okay…I’m going to throw up” Dean said.

“I second that” I said in disgust.

“Guys…thank god” Sam breathed out.

“Sammy?” Brit questioned, getting a good look at him.

“Yea…it’s me…and I’m all caught up. Demon making deals, Becky dosing me up on a love potion…” he glared at her and she looked away.

“We have a plan though”

“Okay…first things first…” Brit said, stepping forward. Then, she swung her hand at Becky’s face, smacking her so hard, it echoed. “Try that ever again with my man and you’ll be a dead girl” she threatened her and then took Sam’s hand and lead him out of the cabin. Dean and I had to hold back from laughing our asses off.

So, then, we put our plan into action. We got to a hall and once everyone was cleared out, Becky went to sit at one of the tables and we saw the crossroads demon go sit across from her and they began to talk. She proceeded to tell him she was in with the whole selling her soul in order to get Sam to love her forever. But, then when they got up and got ready to seal it, she threw the lighter down to the floor and it lit up the devil’s trap we set up in alcohol. We all started approach them both and Becky rushed over to our side.

“You see that Sam? I did it just like we planned it, I am awesome, I…” she started excited.

Sam just gave her an annoyed look, but Brit gave her the dirtiest look ever and it was really amusing. I mean, Becky was no threat for hers and Sam’s relationship at all but she did drug him and marry him. Brit has already called dibs on marrying this ginormous fool, right here.

“I…will just stand over here” she finished. Dean and I stepped two steps ahead of everyone else.

“Dean Winchester and Melissa Stern. This is thrilling…and cute. Can I have your autographs?”

Sure” I said, happily. Then, Dean took out the demon knife. “We’ll carve it into your spleen…how are you running your little scam?” he demanded.

“How do you mean Dean?” he played dumb.

“Signing 10-year deals, snuffing 'em that week” Sam said.

“I would never. Rules of the road: Cant lay a hair on any of my clients”

“Right…so how you cheatin it?” Dean asked.

“I’m not a cheater. I’m an innovator. It’s called a loophole you moron. Yes, when a person bargains away their soul he…or she…” he winked at me and Brit. “Gets a decade, technically…but accidents happen”

“So you’re arranging accidents. Collecting early” Brit said.

“Oh please. White gloves” he raised his hands.

“I don’t get my hands dirty. That’s why it’s important to have a capable intern…or a few” he said and all of a sudden three demons appeared in front of us, held up their hands and we all flew across the room.

Brit and I had both flown into a table and it tipped over so we were on the other side of it. I saw Sam flew into the bar and was unconscious, Dean had flown into a pillar and I could tell he was a little out of it while the knife had slid out of his hands and Garth was okay…until he tried to get up and the demon used his hand to simply pull him back down and hit his head on the bar so he was out cold. I rolled my eyes.

“Becky, run!” Sam ordered and she took off.

I saw the knife and narrowed my eyes at it so it came sliding over to me right as one of the demons tried to attack but I swung my arm and sliced his throat. He fell to the ground but then I was smacked to the ground. I felt a welt forming on my face. Brit kicked him back and I quickly got to my feet as I started to recite the exorcism as quick as I could. He tried to resist and come at us but I pushed Brit out of the way and I jumped back a few feet and didn’t stop speaking the Latin. So, then the smoke exited his body and vanished.

I looked over at Sam to see the last demon was mentally choking him but then Becky went up behind him and stabbed him with the knife. He fell to the ground. “Whoa” she said, amazed.

I saw the crossroads demon physically pushing Dean up against the pillar, choking him, so I ran over to Becky, took the knife from her and ran up behind the guy, putting the knife up against his neck as I held onto him so he wouldn’t move. “I suggest you let him go. Now” I ordered.

So, he released Dean as he fell to his feet and started to catch his breath. “Are you alright?’ I asked, concerned, but I kept my eyes on the demon in between us. He nodded. “How many nukes you got cooking in this town?” I demanded, pulling him closer to get a better grip.

Fifteen” he hissed.

“Well, call them off. Or I’ll cut my own loophole in your throat” I threatened, pressing it more to his skin. I felt Dean eyeing me carefully but I ignored his eyes.

“Oh crap” he muttered.

“Yea, you said it. You are in a world…” Dean started.

“Hello kids” another voice said. And the voice was uninvited and unwelcome.

“Oh crap” Dean and I both muttered.

So, then, we turned our heads to the side to see Crowley standing there and I grabbed Dean to pull him behind me as I grabbed a tight hold of the demon and used him as a shield between us and Crowley.

“Sam, mazel tov. Who’s the lucky lady? I have to say, I thought you would end up with a certain blond, but, this is just not who I was expecting…things change, though, right?”

“You’re Crowley” Becky said in awe.

“And you’re…well…I’m sure you have a wonderful personality dear” he said and she pouted a little. He took a step forward.

“Another step and I’ll Columbian necktie your little friend here” I warned.

“Oh don’t let him get off that easy”

“Sir. I don’t think that you…” he tried to defend himself.

“I know exactly what you’ve been doing. A little birdy named Jackson sold you out’ he said, gesturing to one of the dead demons. “Emailed all the juicy deets to my suggestion box. I assume that’s my whistle blown. Shame, he had a future. Unfortunately you don’t”

“I was just…”

“You have one rule: make a deal, keep it. There’s a reason we don’t call our chits in early, consumer confidence. This isn’t Wall Street, this is Hell, we have a little something called integrity. This gets out who will deal with us? Nobody. Then where are we?”

“I don’t know…” he murmured. I eyed him, then Crowley.

“Right. You don’t. Cause you’re a stupid short sided little brat. Now hand jackass over. I’ll cast every deal he’s made” he said to me.

“What are you gonna do with him?” Dean asked.

“Make example of him” I exchanged a glance with Dean and then Sam and Brit. “Fair trade, right? Then, we all go our separate ways? Am I done here?”

“What, out of goodness of your heart?” Sam asked.

“Years of demons nipping at your heels and you haven’t seen one for months, wonder why?”

“We’ve been a little busy” Dean and I both said, smugly.

“That’s cute…do you ever get tired of that?” he asked. We didn’t reply. He sighed. “Busy hunting leviathan, yes, I know. It’s why I told my lads to stay clear of you meatheads”

“What do you know about…” Brit started.

“Too much. You met that Dick yet? Toughest son of goose since Mussolini. I hate the bastards. Squash them all, please. I’ll stay clear”

“Rip up the contracts first” I said.

He snapped his fingers. “Done and done…your turn”

“No…n-n-n-n-n-no…” he started.

But, I shoved him forward, toward Crowley. “It’s been a pleasure gentlemen. Ladies” he said and then he was gone. I looked up at Dean and I think he saw the worry in my eyes.

“What’d I miss?” Garth asked as he finally got to his feet from being unconscious that whole time.

Dean just threw his arm into the air, shaking his head. I rolled my eyes but I had to laugh a little. My laugh caused him to look at me and smile and I smiled back but it turned into a smirk and then I just walked out. Just like that.

~~~~~

We were back at Becky’s place so Sam and Becky could sign the annulment papers and so we could all just forget this whole thing happened…but there was no way I was letting him live this down. Sam signed first and then slid the papers forward, across the table for her to sign too while we were all standing a few feet away, watching.

“It wasn’t all bad right?” she asked with hope.

He just stared at her and I didn’t have to read his thoughts to know what he was thinking. She just looked down. “Okay…you did save my life and for that…thanks” he forced out.

“So, I’ll see you again?” she grinned.

“Hmm not likely, honey” Brit said, smugly as she stepped forward and pushed the papers further even more toward Becky as she had a hand on her hip, staring down at her.

I could tell Becky was intimidated but she still looked at Sam for that small sliver of hope. “Yea, probably not” he enforced.

So she signed the papers. I sighed, shaking my head and went forward to grab a hold of Brit’s belt loop and pulled her back. “Chill out Jealous Julia” I whispered.

“I am not jealous. Just annoyed”

“I know, sweetheart. It’s almost over” I laughed, wrapping an around her and rubbing her arm on the other side as she pouted.

I watched as Sam saw how sad Becky looked and I knew Sam was going to pull the sympathy card. “Becky…look, you’re not a loser, okay? You’re a good person and you have a lot of…energy

I snickered and Dean elbowed me in the side but he was snickering too so I just elbowed him back. “So, do your thing…whatever that is…and the right guy will find you”

She looked down at first, but then I realized she was smiling flirtatiously in our direction so we saw Garth slicking his hair down. I made a face as he looked at us with a grin.

“No” Dean said right away. His smile fell. “No” he repeated.

“Ew” I said. “Gross” Brit added and the two of us just walked out.

When we all left, our cars were parked a few blocks down in an alley and we were leaning on the trunk of Dean’s new “Impala stand-in” as we faced Garth. “Well buddy, I gotta say, man, you uhh don’t suck” Dean said as they did a guy shake.

“Thank you…that’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me” he said…sincerely.

We all exchanged a look with amused smiles but he didn’t catch on to our amusement. “Well…” he started and then hugged Dean tight. “Oh…yea…alright, that’s…thank you” he said, getting him off.

Then, he looked at me. “Oh. No, I don’t like…” I started.

“Are you kidding? She loves hugs” Dean said and he hugged me tight.

I grunted. “Yea…this is nice…” I said and pushed him off.

Then, he looked at Brit. “Yea, I don’t think so” she said.

“Take care, man” Dean chuckled.

“Right…” he said and just walked away to his car and took off.

“Wow” Dean and I commented.

“Awe, you made a fwend” Sam joked.

“No, nuh uh” Dean replied and we just laughed.

“Look, guys…when dosed up, I said some crap”

“You mean she wasn’t your soul mate?” Brit joked.

“Shut up” he joked, shoving her lightly with his side.

“I mean…I do need you to watch my back, obviously…” he said to Dean.

“Yea, when crazy groupies attack” he replied.

“You know what I mean…and obviously, she isn’t the one I’m in love with” he said to Brit, looking right into her eyes.

Dean and I just stared down at the ground, trying to make ourselves invisible for them. “Obviously” she smiled up at him.

“You know…I gotta say for a whack job, you really pulled it together, Sam” I said.

“That’s the nicest thing anyone’s said to me” he joked. We all laughed lightly.

“She’s right though. You both are really pulling yourselves together” Dean added.

“Don’t be too impressed” Brit said.

“Yea, we’re still Denver’s scrambled up here, we just know our way around the plate now” Sam said.

“Just saying…it’s stupid to think either of you need us around all the time. You’re grown ups” Dean said.

“Right…”

“You’re a hike in the desert-hippie-douche grown up but still a grown up” he said to Sam.

I laughed and Brit smiled, amused. “Dude, I was camping. You camp”

“Yea, whatever hippie” Brit chuckled. “Ya know what though? Seriously, it might be nice” she added, almost absentmindedly.

“What?” I asked.

“You’ve both been looking out for us your whole lives. Now you both finally get to take care of yourselves”

“She’s right. It’s about time” Sam agreed and the two of them walked around to the passenger door.

“You ever try to run off and get married with someone again and that someone isn’t me, you’re going to be in a world of hurt, Winchester” Brit said to him and I watched as they got close and laughed together and smiled together.

“So…you really thought you were going to lose me back there. I saw it in your eyes. It was dangerous. I wouldn’t have wanted to be the demon in your hands, never mind Crowley’s” Dean said to me.

“Yea, demons just will never get it. We’re the ones they should be afraid of” I smirked. He gave me a look. I sighed. “Well…if I lost you, who’s going to tell me when I’m being a bitch?”

“You don’t need anyone to tell you, you know”

“Maybe…but what fun is it when I don’t have you around to argue with?” I got closer to him.

“Ya know, it’s not fair” he said.

“What’s not?”

“That fact that you’re a tease

“Hmm are you turned on, Dean?” I joked.

“What do you think?”

“Should we do something about that?”

“Ummm yes

I laughed. “Okay…tonight, midnight. You’ll see me when you close your eyes and wish you weren’t such a dick to me in the past” I whispered in his ear.

Then, I backed away and spun around to walk over to the Porche. “Really?! You used the you’ll see me in your dreams line? You’re just a walking cliché, you know that?” he yelled to me but I could hear the distress and the wanting in his voice.

“Maybe I am…but it makes you want it and me even more, doesn’t it?” I smirked. He just clenched his teeth at me and stood his ground. “Good” I shrugged one shoulder and got in the car.

I looked in the rearview mirror at him and saw him grumbling to himself as he paced back and forth and then in a circle, before he got in his car and he was burning a hole through my car. Sam and Brit took it as cue to finish up their reunion and they got in and I headed down the alley with Dean following.

I was very satisfied with myself. Was that wrong? Maybe. Was it going to stop me from feeling satisfied? No.

“So…what was that?” Brit laughed.

“Oh, nothing. Just having some fun” I winked at her. She chuckled.

“Are you alright, Mel?”

“Yea, why wouldn’t I be?” I asked as I turned onto the street.

“I don’t know…I mean, you seem happy and carefree and…dare I say it, like the Mel you used to be…but, we know it’s not who you are anymore. So, what’s going on with you?”

“Nothing, Brit. I’m just done with all the emotional crap. I can’t do it anymore. It’s too much. Life is just so much easier this way and I forgot about how much fun we used to have when we were like this. Carefree and happy

“We’re not kids anymore, though, Mel…”

“I know that…but what’s wrong with just having some fun? Nothing”

She didn’t reply at first. “I saw you get the knife to you telepathically…is that you touching up your demon abilities or your witch abilities?” she said, blatantly as if the way she said it wouldn’t effect me.

“A little of both…” I admitted quietly.

“Does Dean know?”

“Kind of…it’s hard to explain…”

“Ya know, it’s not fair, Mel! You and Dean gave us so much crap about giving into the demon stuff and now you’re doing it?”

“This is different, Brit. I’m doing it for good and I know it’s good. Plus, I’m not conspiring with some demon bitch”

“We kill demons and witches, Mel”

“We kill demons and witches who kill other people” I corrected her.

She sighed. “I’m just worried about you” she said, lightly.

“I’m fine, Brit” I laughed a little.

“I have everything under control. I promise”

And she left it at that. I had to believe I had everything under control…because if I didn’t…if something bad were to happen to me…or the others for that matter…I don’t know if I could ever forgive myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a filler chapter. And I just want to say a thank you to all of you who have been reading my story from the very beginning at Secrets Will Kill You. It really means a lot to know you guys are still reading. Your comments really make me smile and bright up my day even if its just a little heart or a smiley face. You don’t even have to say anything. Just knowing you’re reading, is all I want. I think ur all amazing and it just needed to be said.
Love you all and I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving :)

<<333