Status: Completed

Love Song

Matthew

“Matthew! You have a visitor!” Matthew’s aunt yelled from downstairs.
Matthew immediately thought of Tommy and rushed downstairs. He had been suddenly hit with inspiration for lyrics to his song and working hard. There was only one person in this world he loved for sure and he was writing it for that person.
The disappointment on his face when he saw Donna and not Tommy must’ve hurt Donna’s feelings, but he really couldn’t help it. However, the disappointment on Matthew’s face didn’t take the smile from Donna’s. She was just happy to see him. Matthew had the feeling that she liked him more than he liked her. He didn’t want to be mean, so he just ignored it.
“Donna…come on up. I’m just writing,” said Matthew.
“She smiled and followed him upstairs.”
“You two behave,” said Matthew’s aunt.
They paid no attention to her. Matthew knew nothing would happen, but Donna was sort of praying it would.
When they got upstairs, Matthew got back to writing and Donna sat down with the guitar, playing what Matthew had taught her the other day.
“Sounds good,” said Matthew.
“Thank you. I borrowed my cousin’s guitar just so I can practice.”
“Come over here and teach me something else.”
Matthew sighed and got up from his desk to sit next to Donna. She scooted as close to him as she could. He felt uncomfortable, but she seemed oblivious to that fact.
He put her hands on the hand on the frets and showed her the chord she needed to start the next little tune he was gonna teach her.
As he went on, he noticed that she wasn’t paying attention. He stopped and started at her as if to ask her what was wrong. Before he could ask her, she leaned in for a kiss. He, of course, immediately backed away.
“What’re you doing?” Matthew asked.
“I thought…”
“You thought wrong. I’m sorry, but…I only like you as a friend, Donna.”
Tears started to well up in her eyes. She dropped the guitar and ran out of the door crying.
“Hey!” Matthew yelled, upset that she let his guitar drop to the floor.

* * *

The next day, Matthew was just home from school, he hadn’t even changed out of his school uniform, when someone rang the doorbell. He was taking off his tie as he answered the door. It was Tommy. He kept it as cool as he could, but Tommy let a big smile go.
“Hey,” said Tommy, keeping his smirk.
“Hey,” Matthew said back. “Come in.”
“I just wanted to let you know that this weekend we’re having a coming home party for Tanya.”
“Huh?”
“Oh…June is going to pose as Tanya so that my dad can get better.”
“Oh…I see…Well that’s good isn’t it?”
“I guess. But I’m just here to invite you…as my guest…to the party.”
“Oh…okay…I’d be happy to come.”
There was silence for a while.
“Well, I guess I should go then,” said Tommy. “My family is waiting for me.”
“Wait…do you have entertainment for the party?”
“Entertainment? I don’t think so.”
“Do you think your parents would hire us?”
“I don’t see why not,” said Tommy. “I think that would be awesome. I’ll ask her about it.”
“Cool, I’ll tell the guys.”