Status: Completed

Love Song

Tommy

When the most popular and beautiful girl at Franklin high school asked Tommy out in front of all his friends on the soccer team, he couldn’t say no. He couldn’t let them know that deep inside, he never had any interest in girls. He never had any interest in anyone. He thought Jasmine was a nice girl, but he never really wanted to date her, but he’s been with her for over three months already so he can’t really do anything about it now.
He never really understood why he was so unaffected by everyone, but when he ran into Matthew again for the first time in years, suddenly everything was clear. He suddenly found himself wanting to see Matthew again. He didn’t want to show it, but running into him was the best thing to happen to him ever.
After he took Jasmine home, he went back home himself. It was almost dark and he spotted his mother in the kitchen cooking dinner for the family. But his father hardly eats these days. All he does is sit at home drinking whiskey. Mom does her hardest to try and get him to cheer up and eat, but he went into deep depression after Tanya disappeared and never came out of it.
His mother heard him walk in and walked out from the kitchen to greet him. She gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. He smiled at her and she smiled back. She started back for the kitchen.
“How was school?” She asked him as she walked back to the kitchen.
“It was okay,” Tommy replied, walking into the kitchen. “How’s dad?”
“The same,” she said with a somber sadness. She quickly tried to change her mood, but her sadness was still evident under a cheerful exterior. “Go wash up for dinner. We’re having Spaghetti and meat sauce.”
Tommy knew that his home situation wasn’t the best, but there was really nothing he could do to change it. He went to his room, took his shoes off and threw himself onto his bed. His cellphone vibrated. He reached into his pocket and looked at the caller ID. He didn’t recognize the number.
“Hello?”
“Oh, hey…It’s me…”
“Me who?” Tommy asked.
He giggled. “Oh, sorry, it’s Matthew.”
“Oh,” Tommy smiled widely, knowing that Matthew couldn’t see him. “Hey.”
“Um, I was uh…”
“What is it?”
“I was just making sure you gave me a real number.”
“Would I do that to you?” asked Tommy
“I-I don’t know. I guess not.”
“Has that ever happened to you?”
“Sometimes…” Matthew seemed embarrassed.
Tommy felt sorry for Matthew. He could see that nothing had changed. Matthew couldn’t make many friends when they were twelve and it looks like he can’t make friends now. He suddenly felt really sad. In the sixth grade, not having friends isn’t really a big deal; the kids generally leave you alone. But in high school, Tommy knows that being a “loner” can cause people to be cruel. Tommy always felt the need to protect Matthew. He didn’t know why. It always seemed to be just an instinct. But what he really wondered was, would his life change now that Matthew is back in his life.