Status: Completed

Love Song

Matthew

Matthew tried to stay cool when Tommy offered to give him a ride home. He felt his heart beating faster and faster as everyone started to leave. The last person to leave was June.
“It was really nice meeting you, Matthew and you too, Tommy.”
June hugged them both. It was a surreal moment for both Tommy and Matthew. Matthew could tell that Tommy has figured out what Matthew was thinking the entire time. June looks exactly like Tanya, but older of course.
The two of them were silent as they walked to Tommy’s car. They stole glances at each other while the other one wasn’t looking. Their connection was mutual and they both felt it. It was a strong connection that didn’t even need to be mentioned.
“Is it just me or, do you think that June—“
“She looks like Tanya,” Matthew finished Tommy’s thought.
Matthew could tell that Tommy was tired and not really able to really process his thoughts on June. As for the car ride, that was pretty silent, but Matthew’s house wasn’t very far from the restaurant.
“Listen, Tommy, why don’t you just stay here tonight?” Matthew asked. “You look way too tired to drive all the way across town safely.”
“I-I am pretty tired.”
“It’ll be like old times,” said Matthew.
“I think that might be a good idea, actually,” said Tommy
Matthew could feel himself blush in excitement. He was relieved that it was dark and Tommy wouldn’t notice. Tommy turned off his car and they both got off. Tommy walked behind Matthew once they got into the house. They quietly walked upstairs and into Matthew’s room.
“If you wanna just throw me a pillow, I’ll sleep on the floor.”
“Oh, you don’t have to. I have a king size. We can both easily fit…Unless you’re not comfortable with that.”
Tommy started to fidget and look around a lot. He spotted the picture of them when they were young on the wall. He smiled and walked over to it.
“I remember that day like it was yesterday,” he said.
“I do too,” said Matthew.
Tommy took off his t-shirt, revealing a skin tight tank top that hugged his body just so it outlined his peck muscles. Then, he took off his jeans. Matthew couldn’t really believe that Tommy was in just his boxers and a tank top. He didn’t expect that to happen when he asked him to stay over. He thought he’d take Tommy’s lead and do the same, but he wasn’t wearing a tank top, just boxers.
They both got into the large bed. Getting under the blankets, they looked each other in the eye. They stared at each other silently. The only light in the room was the beams of moonlight coming in through the window.
“Matthew?”
“Yeah,” Matthew answered.
“Are you lonely?”
“So lonely…it’s kind of scary,” Matthew answered.
“Why do you mean?” Tommy asked.
“Well, when we were kids we’d be lonely because we’d have no friends to play with or something, but…as you get older, loneliness is so much more profound.”
“Why are you so lonely?”
“I don’t really know why. It started to get really bad when my grandma died. The longer she’s gone, the more I miss her. I loved her so much and what I don’t get is: As human, we’re capable of so much love, how are we supposed to cope with being separated with the people we love? Separation is a part of life.
“Tommy, do you think we can love someone and never be afraid of losing them? At the same time, is it also possible that we can go our entire lives without loving anyone at all? I’ve lived with this loneliness for a long time now and I’m just afraid that it’s going to continue to get worse.”
He couldn’t think of anything to say. He just did the first thing that came to his mind. He could never stand Matthew looking sad, so he his arm around Matthew and pulled him in closer. Matthew rested his head on Tommy’s chest and Tommy leaned his head against Matthew’s. They lay like that for a few minutes before both of them fell asleep holding each other.
The next morning, Matthew woke up and Tommy was gone. He left a note on Matthew’s headboard. It said:
“Matthew, you were sleeping soundly in my arms, so I tried not to wake you. –Tommy.”