It's Called a Heart

1/1

I had never really understood love. Love wasn't something that made sense in my mind. It was a complicated and confusing mess that had never seemed worth the hassle. Friendship though...friendship was another matter entirely. That was something I knew. It was something that I longed for.

And somedays, it was the only thing that kept me from falling apart.

I know that I was never the best friend, but I promise you that I tried. You have always meant more to me than anything else in the whole world. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that none of this has ever been your fault. You kept me going and as much as I never understood love, I think you're the one who got me closest to it.

When it comes down to it, I'm tired of putting so much pressure on you. I'm tired of making you watch me fall and fail time and time again. You shouldn't have to suffer like that. And so, I'm not going to let you. I'm going to make sure that I take it all away. I hope that in the end...

I just hope that it makes you happy.


---

Joleen folded the letter and allowed it to slip into her lap as she looked up and out the window that stared onto a bright spring day. She tried to find some way to feel shock or horror or even sadness, but she couldn't feel anything. She simply felt empty. Emily was dead and she couldn't bring herself to care. Even worse, Emily had killed seven people, wounded four others and she simply couldn't feel anything like remorse.

They had all deserved it.

Except for maybe Emily. She shook her head and hugged the letter to her chest as shet urned her body towards the window. Light beams danced through the glass panes slowly caressing her. Maybe she couldn't feel because Emily wasn't really dead after all. The sun had never truly cared to touch her before, but Emily had. So maybe...just maybe...maybe Emily was the sun.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I started writing this little drabble and then it became this...