I Don't Like You, I Like Your Brother... I Think?

A talk with Liz

Kelly’s pov

Zane’s been acting really weird since his talk with Kyle. He seems upset, but like he’s trying to hide it. There’s no reason for him to hide it. I already know why he’s upset. He likes Liz and Liz is heartbroken now that Kyle dumped her. So why is he trying to keep it a secret.

“Where next?” Zane asked as we exited Hot Topic. Ryan and Jade were walking behind us, talking to each other, and completely ignoring Zane and I.

“Zane, why don’t you go over to Liz’s? Make sure she’s ok?” I sighed.

“What makes you think I want to make sure she’s ok?” He looked at me confused.

“Because you like her? Right?” I said just as confused. Isn’t that why he had offered me this deal, to get Liz?

“Well yea, but I can’t leave you, my ‘girlfriend’ here to comfort some other girl.” He rolled his eyes.

“It’s fine. Liz and Kyle broke up. You can go over there, be her shoulder to cry on, and she’ll realize how much better you are for her, instead of Kyle.” I shrugged.

“Getting me and Liz together was only part of the deal. I still haven’t carried out my end of the deal, so for right now, I’ll stay with you. I can check on her later.” He smiled at me.

“You know, you really surprise me.”

“How?”

“Well I mean, I kind of thought you would back out of the deal once Kyle and Liz broke up.” I shrugged again.

“You make me sound like an ass.” He rolled his eyes.

“Well… you kind of are. Or, you used to be, to me anyways.”

“Yea well, you aren’t that bad.” He shrugged.

“Neither are you. Maybe we could actually be friends, after this whole thing is done with.”

“Maybe.” He nodded.

*
**
***
**
*

The next day at school, I saw Liz in the hallway by herself, looking like she’d been crying. Her eyes were red and puffy and some of her mascara was smudged. I kind of felt bad for her. Maybe that’s why I walked up to her.

“Hey Liz.” I said awkwardly. She looked at me confused.

“Hey. You’re Kelly right?” She asked.

“Yea.” I nodded.

“So how was the party? I couldn’t be there. My grandma just passed away.” I could tell she was trying to stay calm. Great, now I felt even worse! Why would Kyle dump Liz right after her grandma died?

“It’s was alright, not what I had expected it to be.” I shrugged. She just nodded her head.

“Umm are you ok?” I asked.

“You heard?” She sniffled a little.

“Kyle told Zane and I at the mall yesterday.” I nodded.

“I thought you hated Zane?” She stared at me even more confused.

“I did… I mean kind of. We’re going out now. He’s not as bad as I thought he was. He’s really sweet once you tear away the jerk on the outside.” I chuckled. She smiled.

“Yea. He always was the nicer brother.” She nodded.

“Really? I thought Kyle was nicer?” now I was confused.

“Kyle? Ha. Yea right. He doesn’t care about anything or anyone, but himself. You know the night of the party, when my grandma died, I called Kyle? I told him what happened and he just said ‘I can’t deal with this drama right now’, then hung up. Can you believe that? My grandma dying is not drama. I mean, I really didn’t expect him to leave the party and come over to my house, but I did thought he would feel a little bit sorry for me.” She scoffed.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. You’re lucky to have Zane. He called me last night and we talked for almost an hour. He told me that he would be there for me if I needed someone to talk to. He’s really sweet.” She sighed. I guess she thought I was jealous because she quickly add, “Don’t worry. I would never try to get Zane away from you. He’s sweet and all, but he’s more of the friend type then than the boyfriend type. And besides, I don’t think I could steal him if I tried. He really likes you. In fact, I’m not that surprised he asked you out. I always wondered when he would stop being a prick and realize he liked you.” She chuckled.

“Really?” I asked confused.

“Of course. You know what they say. Enemies make the best lovers. I have to get to class. Thanks, I kind of feel a little better now. I guess saying it out loud made me realize how much of an ass Kyle is. See ya.” With that she turned around and walked away. Enemies make the best lovers? How does everybody know this saying but me?!
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short guys, The next one is going to be short but chapter 9 will be long! :)