Status: In progress; crazy with work will update as time allows....

My Everything

Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Birthday Boys and Drunken Revelations

Mike and I had gotten everyone invited yesterday and today I made Mike and Tre take Billie out somewhere, anywhere to get him out of the house so I could decorate. I was hoping that Emi would be here to help me but she said no insisted that she had something very important to do. I couldn’t even get her to tell me what was so important.

Mike of course then had to put me on edge and make even more nervous than I already was by mentioning that Billie’s mother would most likely be showing up early. Which mean that I would be meeting her without Billie being around. I never thought I was good at meeting parents. For once I wanted to make a really good first impression, especially since it was Billie’s mother. I think if it was anyone else’s mother I wouldn’t have given a rats ass but it was Billie’s mother so I was nervous. I didn’t know if Billie had even mentioned me or if his mother even knew of the age difference between the two of us. I mean twelve years is quite a difference. I should really, really stop trying to freak myself out. Then I would make an ass out of myself.

Sighing I looked around the house and decided that if I was going to decorate that I needed to clean up a bit. It didn’t take much since the house is kept pretty clean anyway. I hung up some streamers and a few other decorations before deciding that I should start on the balloons. I had just sat on the couch and put a balloon up to my mouth when the door bell rang. I looked at the red balloon in my hand and threw it to the side.

“JUST A MINUTE!” I yelled. I stood up and walked to the door and let out a breath. I wasn’t sure who was on the other side. I really hoped that it was my mother. I hadn’t talked to her since I walked out of the supermarket and left her in the line.

I opened the door to reveal an older woman who resembled Billie a great deal. I realized that this must be his mother. I didn’t get to say anything before she spoke.

“Hi dear, you must be Juliet. Billie has told me so much about you.” Her voice was soft but somewhat scratchy, smoky type.

“Nothing bad I hope.” I joked nervously as I stepped aside allowing her entry into the house.

“All good things. Oh, how rude of me. I’m Ollie Armstrong. Billie’s mom if you hadn’t guessed. I feel like I know you already, he hasn’t talked about anyone this much since he met Adrienne.” She stopped and looked around the living room. “It looks like you’ve got a good head start on the decorations. Mike didn’t tell you I was coming over early did he?”

“Actually he said you might. I was a little nervous so I figured that it would help if I worked a little bit.” I gave her another nervous smile.

“Oh, well no need to be nervous. Is there anything in particular you would like me to do?” She asked walking slowly over to the couch before sitting down.

“Well actually you could blow up those balloons for me so I can go start on the cake. Here I have a small plastic balloon pump. I like to cheat…I never have enough air. Although Emi, my cousin, says that I’m full of hot air.” I heard her laugh at that. I turned to watch her for a moment when I saw her reach for the pump and a purple balloon.

“Okay I’m off to bake a cake.” I left her to the balloons and I went into the kitchen. The way the kitchen was set up I could see her and hear her from the living room. We spent the next to hours talking back and forth. I listened to all her stories about Billie growing up, many I was sure he would not want her to tell. By the time we finished it decorating and getting all the food and drinks together it was late afternoon. Almost time for the party to start.

Not soon after people started to slowly trickle in. Only two of his siblings were able to make it for the party, his older brother Alen and sister Anna. I was glad they made it. The rest of the band showed up as well as some people from Adeline records and Reprise records. It was about 5:00 when the doorbell rang. I looked around the room and saw that everyone was here. I couldn’t imagine who it could be, then it hit me…Billie’s boys. I walked to the door and opened it.

“Hi, guys!” I opened the door revealing Jake and Joey. Standing farther back behind them stood Adrienne. “Go on in guys.”

“Hi Juliet!” The boys said in unison as they gave me a small hug. Adrienne stayed where she was as the boy went inside.

“You want to join us?” I asked mostly out of courtesy. I knew that it would probably be awkward for both sides if she were there.

“No thanks, I think it would be a little weird. Just tell him happy birthday for me.” She said as she started heading for her car.

“I will. I promise.” I said smiling at her. She smiled back.

“You’re a nice girl, Juliet. Stay that way.” I knew that it had to be really weird for her. She had been the one throwing Billie these parties in this house for fifteen years and now here I was taking her place of sorts.

“Thanks.” I said. She nodded and walked to her car passing Tre and Ramona.

“Tre? I thought you were with Billie?” I asked smiling at Ramona before turning my attention back to Tre.

“I was but I had to pick up Ramona from her friends house for the party. Don’t worry I didn’t say anything to Bill. I kept it a secret.” I saw Ramona roll her eyes at her father. “Ramona I want you to meet Juliet. Juliet this is my daughter Ramona.”

“Yeah, I’m the one he forgets all the time.” She said smiling. I could tell she believed it to some degree. I would have to remember to talk to Tre later.

“It’s nice to meet you, Ramona. Jake and Joey are inside somewhere if you want to join them.” With that said Ramona had disappeared.

“Okay Tre, get your ass in here. It’s almost time for Mike to bring Billie around.” I said looking out at the street and almost pushed Tre into the house as I saw Mike’s car come into view.

***********************************************************************

I sat in the passenger seat of Mikes car as we drove back to my house. I almost felt bad that I already knew about the party. At least I didn’t know who was going to be there, except of course my boys, I had a feeling that Juliet made sure they were there. I hadn’t seen them since before the St. Louis show. So that was at least month or two ago. I couldn’t believe that time had gone by so fast I have been officially single for almost a month. I was brought out of my thoughts by Mike getting out of the car.

“Bill, we’re here.” Mike said as he shut his door.

“Okay.” I opened my door and got out slowly trying to prepare myself for the surprise.

We walked to the door and Mike pushed me in front of him before we walked inside. What a considerate friend. Sarcasm rocks.

“SURPRISE!!” I heard yelled at me from every direction. Before I could tell who exactly was here I felt two pairs of arms wrap themselves around my waist. Looking down I saw both of my sons, seeing them I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes.

“Hey guys.” I said quietly while kneeling down so I could hug them both better.

“Hi dad…happy birthday.” I looked over their heads and caught Juliet watching us. She was standing next to my mother, who was wiping tears from her eyes. She knew how hard it was for me to be away from my boys. I looked over at Juliet again and noticed that she was wiping her eyes as well. I nodded at her to which she smiled and nodded back.

I made my rounds saying hello to everyone and getting a few beers and some food in the process. We officially ate and opened my presents, by 9:00 I could really feel the alcohol in my body starting to effect me. By then most of the people had left so it was just Mike, Takisha, Tre and Emi. My mother, brother and sister were still here as well, and of course Juliet and all the kids. The kids were running around somewhere, I’m really having a hard time concentrating. Soon I found myself stumbling slightly to the kitchen, finding Juliet sitting at the kitchen table by herself.

“Hey beautiful, what are you doing in here by yourself?” I asked sitting down next to her. I scooted closer to her once I was seated.

“Nothing, I just needed a moment by myself. You were busy with everyone so I decided to sneak away for a second. I guess I was caught. You having fun?” She asked trying to change the subject but me being drunk it was easily done.

“Yeah, lots of fun. I think this has got to be the best birthday party I’ve had in a long time. I would have more fun with you out there with me.”

“Would you? You don’t need me to have fun Billie.”

“I know, I don’t need you but I still want you out there with me. Plus my mother likes you…I…uhhhh…heard she told you embarrassing stories.” I hope that I’m making sense to her.

“She does? Really?” She looked like she didn’t believe me.

“Really…really…I promise. I’ve…uhhhh…been wanting to tell you something…” At that moment my mother and siblings decided that they were going to leave so they came in to say good bye. Getting up I gave my sister a hug. I gave my mother a hug. Before I let go she whispered to me “She’s a good girl don’t let her go, Billie.”

“I won’t mom.” I whispered back before letting her go. I gave my brother a handshake and a clap on the back before they disappeared. I sat back down at the table and brought my attention back to Juliet.

“What was I saying?” I asked trying to remember.

“Ummmm…you have been wanting to tell me something.” She said looking up from her hands to me. She looked sad.

“Right…ummmm…I’ve been wanting to tell you…but I don’t really know how…ummmm…I kinda like you…a lot…” I looked up at her to see if she was following what I was saying.

“I know you like me Billie, otherwise you wouldn’t let me stay here.” I sighed heavily hearing her reply.

“Nooo…Nooo…that’s not what…I mean…I liiikkkeee you…I really like you…” I drew out the words.

“You like me? Like as in more than…?” Her eyes were wide now that she understood.

“More that a…friend…I have for awhile. I’ve been…scared…I guess to tell you…the truth.” I closed my eyes trying to finish the sentence and still make sense. “I haven’t done this for fifteen years and it’s all new to me.”

“Billie…I…” I didn’t let her say anything more than that before I continued. If I was going to tell her I needed to tell her all at once.

“I know…we…,we haven’t…known each other that long but I can’t help it…you…, you make it easy.” I said. We sat there in silence for a few moments just looking at each other.

“Billie…I…” Once again we were interrupted, this time by Mike. The rest of the gang was leaving. I wanted to kill them all at that moment. Mike has been trying to get me to tell her how I felt all week.

“Guys we’re going to go. We’ll come by tomorrow to help with the clean up.” Mike said gesturing to the front room.

“Okay…better make it afternoon.” Juliet said quietly she didn’t look happy with the interruption either.

“Okay well, we’ll see you tomorrow.” Mike walked over and gave Juliet a hug. I walked them all to the door. Mike hung back a moment. “I ruined something didn’t I?”

“Yeah, man you did but I guess it will be okay.” Mike nodded and clapped me on the back before leaving. I went back into the kitchen to find Juliet standing leaning on the counter, looking like she wanted to say something. Before she could say anything Joey came into the room.

“Dad, can you play me something before bed?” He was using the puppy dog eyes to his full advantage. Sighing I nodded my head before looking at Juliet.

“Go ahead.” She gave me a small sad smile. I nodded again before following Joey to the basement.

Twenty minutes later I carried Joey to his room and went to mine. Changing into my night clothes, I sat on my bed for a few minutes before getting up and walking down the hall to Juliet’s room. I opened the door softly, looking in I saw that she was already asleep. I walked to her side and watched her for a few minutes before leaning down and kissing her on the forehead.

“I love you.” I whispered before leaving her room and heading down to mine.

************************************************************************

I heard Billie enter my room and walk to my side. I kept my eyes shut letting him think I was asleep. A few seconds later I felt his lips on my forehead. Then he spoke words I never thought that I would hear from him.

“I love you.” He left a few moments later.

I opened my eyes and stared at the door before whispering. “I love you too, Billie.”

I just hoped that he really meant what he said and that it wasn’t just the ramblings of a drunk man. I decided that I wasn’t going to bring it up. I would let him start the conversation, that way I would know that it was all him not the alcohol talking. I closed my eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep not knowing that my decision would probably end up causing me more pain then comfort.