Status: In progress; crazy with work will update as time allows....

My Everything

Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Last Night On Earth

I picked up the phone once more and this time I only got halfway through dialing his number before I slammed the phone down on the table. I let out a heavy sigh.

~Stop being such a baby, Jewels. Call him. Just pick up the phone and dial the numbers. It’s not that hard.~ I thought reaching for the phone again. ~But, you’re the one that left him remember.~ This was the beginning of a battle that I had yet to win. I had been arguing with myself for three days since I left Billie’s. Do I call him or leave it alone. This inner argument had been going non-stop since I showed up on my Aunts doorstep. ~Call him!~ My heart screamed at me, while my brain was in total opposition once more. ~He’ll never want to talk to you…you left him…just like his wife. After you promised yourself not too.~

“Shut up!” I yelled out loud. I was so caught up in myself that I never heard my Aunt walk in. She had been watching me for a few minutes now.

“Juliet….just call him.” I heard her voice and whipped around so fast I think I gave myself whiplash.

“How long have you been there?” I asked ignoring what she had said.

“Long enough to see that you miss whoever this boy is.” My Aunt walked over and wrapped me up in a hug. I couldn’t keep the tears from falling. She held me as I cried. “You’ve been a mess since you got here. Don’t think I haven’t noticed…you’ve always been one to smile and laugh…since you’ve been home you’ve done none of that. I just want to at least know the name of the boy that has made my girl so sad. If you’ll tell me, maybe I could help.”

I let out a loud sigh and sniffled before shaking my head against her neck. She slowly let me go and guided me to the couch in the front room. I sighed once more before I began to talk.

“You know my favorite band?” I asked her before I went into the full story.

“Green Day, how could I not know them after all you and Emi used to talk about them all the time.” She answered.

“Well, when we went to St. Louis for the concert we ended up meeting them at a club.” I looked down at my hands and began playing with my nails. “I met Billie Joe before either of the other guys in the band. I’ve always had a crush on him, so meeting him and getting to dance with him was like a dream come true. Well we ended up sleeping together….”

She interrupted me, “After only knowing him one night…Juliet….that’s not like you.”

“I know but I also knew that if I didn’t do it then I would most likely regret it for the rest of my life. I don’t mean the part about sleeping with him, although it was great, I meant about just meeting him in general.” I sighed again. “The next day I met Mike, he’s the bass player, and ended up having breakfast with him. We exchanged numbers and that’s how I ended up getting in touch with Billie again. Emi and I came home after that.”

“So what happened in California?” My Aunt asked looking confused.

“I fell in love.” I stated. I decided it was a stupid thing to try and lie to myself about how I felt.

“You fell in love? With who?”

“Billie Joe Armstrong.” I stated looking at her. “I never stayed with mom, after that first day I realized that I didn’t want to get to know my mother. She never cared about me, she just wanted to change me into what she wanted, I stayed with Billie at his house. Emi was there too.”

“So this past week you’ve been staying with a famous musician? And you fell in love with him?”

“He makes me happy, Aunt Karla. I don’t know exactly what made me fall in love with him. Him being famous actually has nothing to do with it. I think its all the little things. I don’t know.” I drifted off as I felt my face get a little red.

“Well the only thing I can tell you is that if you love Billie Joe so much then I would suggest that you listen to your heart. What does it tell you? That is the one thing that will never lie to you.” She said patting my hand before getting off of the couch and leaving me by myself.

~What does my heart tell me?~ I sat there for a few minutes thinking. Suddenly I knew what I must do. I turned and picked up the phone again and took a deep breath, I dialed the number quickly before I could change my mind. I sat there and waited for him to pick up the other end.

I text a postcard sent to you
Did it go through?
Sending all my love to you
You are the moonlight in my life every night
Giving all my love to you

“Owww…!” I exclaimed rubbing the back of my head, turning around to see who had hit me. I saw Emi glaring at me.

“Well, it should fucking hurt. You asshole, you’re a fucking idiot!” Emi practically yelled at me. I looked over to Mike, Tre, and Takisha sitting on the couch for help. Nothin’ doin’. None of them would help me. “She love you…That’s all she wanted….she wanted to hear you say it….she would have stayed if you had just got your head out of your ass, but nooooo….Billie Joe Armstrong can’t express his feelings. You hid your feelings so well that you let her leave…you just let her walk out the front door…” Emi pointed to the door like I didn’t know where it was. “…God you are a fucking idiot!”

I looked at her for a few minutes before I realized that she was done yelling at me.

“She didn’t tell me how she felt either.” I said jumping to my defense. I am a private person. Mike and Tre both knew this…it has always been hard for me to express my feelings. The only woman I had ever really shared my feeling with was Adrienne and that turned out horribly. I saw Emi raise her eyebrows at this before I heard someone clear their throat.

“Not in some many words man…..” Tre said looking at me, “…but she has…in everything she has done since she’s been here.” Tre looked over at Mike before looking back at me and continuing. “ She does show you.”

I looked at Tre surprised, ~since when did he get so smart?~ I thought. Before I could say anything Mike jumped in with his thoughts.

“Who hangs out with your boys, when its your turn for them, when you have to write a new song that’s suddenly popped into your head and you don’t want to forget it, without complaint? Who threw you a birthday party just because she could, even though she didn’t know half of the people on the guest list? Who calls your mother everyday since they met just to talk, because she wants to, not because she feels obligated? Who would do all of that for you just because she can? Who?” He asked looking at me. At that moment I couldn’t hear anything around me. I got lost in my thoughts.

Coming out of my thoughts I realized that Mike and everyone else was actually waiting for me to answer that question. Suddenly I felt as if I was a five year old boy again getting in trouble and having everyone ganging up on my wasn’t helping. It made me feel trapped and uncomfortable. They were forcing me to talk about my feelings. After a few seconds I cleared my throat. “Juliet?”

I heard one of the girls sigh. “Billie, its not a test and yes, it is Juliet.” Emi said jumping back in. “Jewels has had a crush on you for years…years. But she never thought that she would get the chance to meet you and when she did she was ecstatic. When you to became friends she couldn’t believe how lucky she was….she told me she couldn’t understand why such a great guy would like a girl like her…” I tried to ask her what she meant but she wouldn’t let me speak. “She’s 25 years old and has only had one serious relationship and that didn’t end the best…she was hurt…I know that you were married for 15 years and that it just fell apart but I don’t want you to walk out on her or never tell you how you feel….it would kill her…she hasn’t had a boyfriend since the last guy and she hasn’t shown any interest in any other guy since she met you. All I’m trying to say is that you two are a like in more ways than you think… she has a really hard time expressing her feeling, just like you…you can’t expect her to be the one to make the first move. Even though technically you already did two months ago.” I looked at her clueless as to what she meant.

“You asked her to dance Billie. You took that leap already…you guys have already slept together…how much harder would it be for you just to admit out loud to her that you love her. That is all she needs to hear.” I soaked in everything that Emi had said and looked around the room. I gave a relieved sigh when no one else said anything. Of course that was ruined when Takisha cleared her throat.

“Billie, the only thing you can do now is go after her. You have to tell her to her face. Not over the phone or through a letter. If you’re still uncomfortable saying it out loud. Make sure you actions tell her. Let them tell her.” She smiled brightly when I shook my head in agreement.

“Okay,” I nodded my head again barely believing that I was actually going to do this. I was going to really fight for something I wanted. I did it once I should be able to do it again.

“Good, your bags are already packed and in the car.” Tre said loudly. “We packed it up while you were asleep this morning.”

I looked around at everyone shocked. Mike threw my car keys to me, I caught them and looked back at him. “You guys knew that she was going to leave?”

“Well no, not really. I had a feeling but that was it. I was hoping that you would make it work in the end. But as you know…” Emi said gesturing toward me.

I stood up and walked towards the front door. Grabbing the knob I turned around. “Thanks guys.” I had a feeling if it were anybody else they wouldn’t have tried half as much. As I stepped out on the front step I heard the phone ring. I turned around to find myself facing Emi.

“Go Billie, we’ll get the phone, and take care of the house.” Emi said pushing me fully out of the door. I still couldn’t believe that I was actually doing this. I got into my car and headed to the airport. Pulling on the freeway I dodged in and out of traffic I realized that I was doing the right thing. Since Juliet left I hadn’t been happy. She mad me happy. I don’t know how she did it, but she was becoming my world.

My beating heart belongs to you
I walked for miles ‘til I found you
I’m here to honor you
If I lose everything in the fire
I’m sending all my love to you.

The phone rang what seemed like forever before a man’s voice came over the line. It definitely wasn’t Billie. I knew his voice.

“Mike?” I asked really hoping I was right. It sounded like him.

“Jewels?” I heard him ask sounding surprised.

“Yeah, why are you answering Billie’s phone?” I asked.

“Ummm…I was the closet to the phone and plus he’s not in the room.” He said before I could hear him talking to someone quietly. He must have had the phone covered because I couldn’t understand what they were saying, but I knew the other person as well. It was Emi. I hadn’t talked to her since the day before I left and I found out that she was going to stay in California with Tre.

“Mike, I can still hear you talking and you can’t disguise Emi’s loud mouth.” I said cracking a small smile when I heard Emi huff in outrage. “Seriously though is Billie there? I really need to talk to him it’s really important.”

“I’m sorry Jewels, you actually just missed him. He left, and I don’t know when he’ll be back.” Mike said. I felt disappointed.

“Oh, okay. Well I’ll just try back later then.” I said feeling more disappointed as the seconds ticked by. “I’ll talk to you guys later.”

“Jewels, he probably won’t be back tonight.” Mike said.

“Okay, tomorrow then.” I was going to keep trying even if it killed me or broke my heart. I hung up the phone before Mike could say another word. Putting down the phone I felt the tears trying to escape. I took a deep breath holding them at bay. I walked to my room hoping that tomorrow would be a better day for me.

With every breath that I am worth
Here on Earth
I’m sending all my love to you
So if you dare to second guess
You can rest assured
That all my love’s for you.

“I’m glad we made him take a flight tonight and will be there tomorrow. They’ve only been apart for three days and she sounded like shit.” I said as Takisha got off the couch and walked over to me.

“Yeah, but at least she’ll be happy tomorrow. Wonder what he’ll do when he meets her Aunt Karla. Karla is all the family she has….she doesn’t count before you say anything Tre…If Aunt Karla doesn’t approve then I don’t know what will happen. I’m pretty sure that as long as Jewels is happy then she’ll approve of anything.” Emi said leaning back into Tre smiling.

“I think they’ll be okay. I just hope that Billie will finally open up to her and tell her exactly how he feels. If he doesn’t it may not get better.” I said.

“Mike, Billie likes to keep he feelings locked up but I think that maybe Juliet is important enough to him, it this short amount of time, that he’ll be willing to lay his heart on the floor. Willing to give his heart to her, and I’m pretty sure that she would do the same for him, if only he tells her.” Takisha said giving me a kiss on the cheek and pulling on my arm, she started walking towards the door.

“Well guys I guess you in charge of the house tonight. Don’t destroy it. I don’t think Billie would be too pleased to come home to a wrecked house.” I said. I looked at Takisha who was looking at Emi.

“Or a burned down house, or blown up house.” Takisha said raising her eyebrows at Emi who smiled sheepishly.

“That was only one time and it was an accident.”

“Yeah the maniacal laughter really let me see that.” Takisha said as she walked out the door.

“WHATEVER KISHA YOU KNOW YOU LOVE ME!” Emi yelled out the door to us. I laughed feeling really glad that I wasn’t staying with Tre and Emi. Those two with their antics were a horrible combination.

“WHATEVER EMI! BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT!” Takisha yelled back as she buckled up. I got into the car and kissed her on the cheek before driving away.

In the house

“What do you wanna do?” Tre asked me.

“I don’t know what you wanna do?” I replied.

“I don’t know what you wanna do?” Tre grinned

“I don’t know what you wanna do?” I smiled before I realized what exactly we were doing.

“I don’t know what you wanna do?” Tre let out a little giggle after asking this time.

“Okay don’t start that again. Lets watch a movie.” I said walking over to the entertainment system and searched through all of Billie’s DVD’s until I found one I liked.

“What one we watchin’?” Tre asked.

“Live Free or Die Hard” I replied as I put the disk into the DVD player.

“That’s a good one.” Tre said as I turned off all the lights and sat down next to him to enjoy the movie.

“I’m glad Billie’s going. It will at least prove something to her.” I said laying my head on his shoulder.

“Yep.” Was Tre’s short reply before the movie started.

My beating heart belongs to you
I walked for miles ‘til I found you
I’m here to honor you
If I lose everything in the fire
I’m sending all my love to you.

Twenty minutes after getting my bags checked I was sitting on a plane bound for Missouri surrounded by people heading to the same place. The kid sitting next to me looked like he was going have a heart attack. He looked to be around Jake’s age.

“You have a piece of paper?” I asked him. He nodded, he smile getting bigger. As I was talking I noticed that I had caught his mother’s attention. “I’ll sign it for you.”

“You don’t have to do that sir, I’m sorry if my son was bothering you.” The woman said.

“It’s no problem, he wasn’t bothering me, in fact he hasn’t said a word.” I said with a small laugh. I took the paper from the boy, signed it and gave it back.

“So where are you headed?” The woman asked.

“Lake of the Ozarks.” I replied, actually I wasn’t exactly sure where I was going at least not for sure. I was glad that I had my phone with me so I could call Emi for directions.

“Oh, vacation?” She asked smiling.

“Something like that.” I replied looking back towards the front of the plane. She got the point that I was done talking and quite asking me questions.

I knew for sure that now I was doing the right thing. This time I was going to tell her, not just show her how I felt. I just hoped that she would listen.

My beating heart belongs to you
I walked for miles ‘til I found you
I’m here to honor you
If I lose everything in the fire
Did I ever make it through?