Status: In progress; crazy with work will update as time allows....

My Everything

Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Friends and Hard Times

Billie and I were sitting around the house doing absolutely nothing except for sitting around when my cell phone rang. ‘It’s a high school prom, it’s a Springsteen song, it a ride in a Chevrolet…’ I looked over at Billie to see that he had raised his eyebrows hearing a country song come from my phone.

“Oh shut up it’s my Aunt calling me.

“Hello?” I answered knowing who it was.

“Juliet? This is Martha, Karla’s neighbor.” A woman’s voice said on the other end it made me wonder why exactly she was calling me from my Aunts phone.

“Yes, this is Juliet.” I held my breath waiting for this woman to continue.

“I hate to be calling you like this dear but I have some bad news.” She said quietly. The smile that I had dropped like a bomb.

“What do you mean bad news?” This question brought Billie’s attention to our conversation.

“I really wish I didn’t have to tell you over the phone, but…..”

“Would you just tell me already.” I demanded cutting her off rudely. I didn’t really care at that moment.

“Well, you know that your mother came out from California to visit your Aunt…” I cut her off again.

“Yes, I know this….what happened?” I demanded again.

“They were both killed last night in a car accident. They were both rushed to the hospital but the didn’t live long after they arrived.” I could feel the tears falling down my face and my legs beginning to get weak.

“What? You’re kidding right. I mean my Aunt has to be okay.” I felt Billie come up behind me just as my legs gave way. I felt Billie catch me, I barely felt him lead me back over to the couch.

“I’m so sorry dear.” Was her only reply before she hung up the phone. I stared at my phone for a few minutes before dropping it and looking up at Billie with tears streaming down my face.

“My Aunt and Mom…they…um…died….last night…um…in a car…accident.” I said before completely breaking down. We sat there for awhile with Billie just holding me while I cried. It wasn’t long before I had cried myself to sleep.

***********************************************************************

I held Juliet as she cried. I knew what it was like to lose family…I had only been ten when my father died of cancer…I didn’t get the chance to know him as I grew up. I was brought out of my thoughts by Juliet’s sniffles. I continued to just hold her, I knew that telling her that everything was going to be okay wasn’t what she wanted to hear. After a few minutes I heard her breathing level out. I realized then that she had cried herself to sleep, waiting a few minutes I picked her up and carried her upstairs to my room. Yes I know I could have just as easily taken her to her own room but I just wanted to hold her a little longer. Selfish I know, anyway I carried her into my room and put her on the bed and laid down with her, I pulled her close and just held her while she slept. Eventually I fell asleep as well.

A couple of hours later I woke up to somebody touching my shoulder and shaking it lightly. Opening my eyes I saw that it was Mike.

“Hey Man.” I whispered noticing that Juliet was still asleep.

“Hey, looks like that is going good.” He said raising his eyebrow with a smirk on his face.

“It’s not like that.” I replied a little defensively. “Let’s go downstairs and I’ll tell you.”

“It’s not like that, yeah.” Mike mocked me laughing lightly. Noticing I wasn’t smiling or laughing with him he stopped. “Did something happen?”

“Like I said let’s go downstairs and I’ll tell you.” I slowly untangled myself from her arms and got off the bed. Mike had already made his way downstairs.

I walked downstairs slowly wondering exactly how much I should tell him. Then I noticed that Mike wasn’t alone. Takisha was with him. Great, at least she won’t have to tell as many people. I just hoped that she wouldn’t get mad at me for telling them. I stood there looking at the two of them quietly talking on the couch when Mike noticed my presence.

“So what’s this big explanation? It better be good. I found you guys on the bed together, holding each other tight if my eyes are working right.” Mike said smiling, Takisha was standing next to him smiling as well.

“Her Aunt and her mother died in a car accident last night.” I stated bluntly. I felt satisfied as their smiles quickly slipped from their faces.

“What?” They asked in unison.

“Drunk driver, I think. I could only get that they were in a car accident from her. She was crying to much. She cried herself to sleep. So I carried her upstairs.” I explained.

“Man that sucks. They were pretty much all of her family except for Emi, right?” Takisha asked.

“Yeah, of course she never really counted her mother as family. But that’s understandable.” I said sitting down on the opposite side of the couch.

“Does Emi know?” Mike asked. None of us noticed that Emi and Tre had came into the house. Without knocking I might add.

“Does Emi know what?” Emi asked startling everyone.

“Shit, Emi, Dammit. What have I told you about sneaking into my house and scaring the shit out of me? Don’t do that.” I had my hand held up to my heart. Emi was grinning from ear to ear.

“So what do I know? I mean I know that I know everything but there is something you think I don’t know.” Emi rambled.

“Ummm…sit.” I demanded. I must had more authority in my voice then I thought since Emi and Tre both automatically sat down. “I really don’t know if I should be telling you all, Jewels might get mad but, I’ve already started.” I took a breath.”

“Come on Billie. You’re actually starting to freak me out.” Emi said no longer smiling.

“Okay, okay…Juliet’s aunt and mom died in a car accident last night.” I watched as Emi ran her hand through her hair and let out a breath.

“Where’s Jewels?” Was her only question.

“She upstairs in my room…asleep I think.” I said pointing to the stairs. Emi stood up and started for the stairs before looking at me.

“Third door on the left.”

************************************************************************

I walked the stairs trying to think of what I was going to say to her. I didn’t know if she had wanted Billie to tell me that her last two family members had died. I know that I’m her cousin but not by blood. We just always called each other that. We had made a promise to each other when we were kids, we would always be the others family no matter what happened cousins to the end. It just stuck and I wasn’t about to change that now. Juliet is my best friend, I would be lost without her. I’m not quite sure how I’m going to help her but I’m going to try my best.

When I came out of my thoughts I was in front of Billies’ room. I knocked softly wondering if she was awake or still asleep. My thoughts were answered a second later.

“Come in.” Was her soft reply. I opened the door and walked in.

“Hey.” I walked over to the bed and sat next to her.

“I guess Billie told you?” She asked still not looking at me. I never liked seeing this side of Juliet. She was always smiling and full of life. It confused me, and it also made me sad.

“Well, none of us really gave him a choice. We all kinda jumped on him joking around and stuff about him being up here with you. I guess Mike was here first and Billie was explaining to both him and Takisha when I interrupted asking what it was I didn’t know. Don’t be mad a him. He was only doing what he thought was right.” I said.

“It’s okay…it actually helps that I don’t have to keep repeating myself. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that my Aunt Karla is gone. I mean my mother was never there so its not that hard for me, but Aunt Karla…she…,she was my mother for all intents and purposes. I can’t believe that I’m not going to be able to pick up the phone and call her for advice. I won’t be able to visit her and thank her for making me see that being here in this house, with Billie, and with all the guys is really where I wanted to be. She saw that before I ever did…” She stopped talking as she got tears in her eyes once more.

Suddenly she got up and ran into the master bathroom located just north of the closet. Her tears weren’t her only problem. I followed her closely and stopped at the door when I heard her throwing up between sobs. I went up behind her and lifted her hair and rubbed her back. I had never seen her so upset before. Still rubbing her back I looked up to see Billie in the doorway, I spoke then.

“Hey it’s okay, we expect you to miss her. Don’t forget though that we are all here for you, I think Billie most of all…I’m here like I always promised. I’m not going anywhere.” I said looking at her. I meant what I said. Like her, she was my only family, I wouldn’t dream of breaking this promise. She was always there for me in my time on need . I wasn’t going to disappoint her by leaving now. I would be there for her all the way through this hard time and I know that Billie would be as well.