I Am the Rumour on Everyone's Lips

Chapter 4

Charlie stood by the old easel as she painted the surrounding scenery onto the canvas. It was a hot, sunny day and painting relaxed her. She stopped painting momentarily and glanced over her right shoulder, looking at the window of her best friend, Tally’s, bedroom. Charlie scowled then pulled her tongue out childishly; knowing full well Tally would be watching.

She was a very quiet girl; she had been since her mom remarried when she was fourteen. It was a month before Charlie’s fourteenth birthday when her dad died - it was only on that birthday that her mom announced she was getting married again. Charlie’s step-dad never paid attention to her, only to tell her everything she believed was wrong and always would be. That hit a nerve; forcing her to voluntarily stop talking. That started two years ago, the only person Charlie actually spoke to now was Tally.

As she turned back to face her painting once again, Charlie spotted the sold sign up outside the house on the other side of Tally’s. Charlie craned her neck in order to see if anybody was moving in yet. Sure enough: there was. She only glimpsed a short, black haired boy for a split second before he disappeared inside his new house.

Charlie blinked a couple of times before placing her paintbrush onto the easel. She then turned on her heel and headed towards Tally’s house; the front door would be open, as usual. Once inside, Charlie headed straight up to Tally’s bedroom and entered without knocking.

“I take it you’ve seen him?” She asked, making herself comfortable on the bed.
“Who?” Tally replied, staring out of the window through her binoculars.
“The dude who just moved in next door,” Charlie answered. Tally appeared mesmerised by, what seemed to be, a house across the street and it confused Charlie; Tally usually spied on everything and everyone in view - she was creepy like that.
“Oh, him. Yeah, I’ve seen him,” Tally shrugged nonchalantly. “But have you seen these guys?” Charlie got up off of the bed, making her way over to the window to see who had caught her best friend’s eye now.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took quite a while to write... Mainly because I kept getting distracted by music and there was a wasp attack at one point D: