Status: finished

Eyes For You

It's How You Play the Game.

"Hey Matt, are you ready for the draft Saturday?" my team mate Scott asked as I shut my locker door.

"Yeah, I mean it's nerve wracking, but I'm excited ya know?"

"Yeah I can only imagine. Dude, I would kill to be in your shoes. Scouts lining up to have me play for them, the pro's looking at me. You lucky bastard."

Smiling I laughed ,"Not to mention all of the hot babes just lurking around every corner," I said giving a little wave to a petite blonde walking by.

"Yeah dude," he said giving me a high five.

Looking past his shoulder I saw her. She was clutching her books close to chest as she made her way through the crowded hall way, her best friend gabbing her ear off.

"Dude, are you even listening to what I'm saying?" Scott interrupted.

"Hm, oh uh, I'll catch you later dude, I have someone I have to talk to," I said brushing past him to say hello. I had been trying to work up the courage to talk to her for weeks. Normally I didn't have a problem talking to girls, but Roxanne was different. Maybe it was because she wanted practically nothing to do wtih me, or the fact that she was the only person in the entire school or treated me like a real person and not a hockey god. Walking up to her I said;

"Hey Roxanne, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure, I guess," she said looking from me to her best friend and then back to me again.

"So, how are you?" I asked stuffing my hands in my pockets.

"I'm well thank you. Not to sound rude but why do you want to talk to me? I mean, you and I both know that a suave, popular guy like you doesn't care about how a shy, non-materialistic girl like me is doing. So what's the deal, lose abet with your buddy?"

Stunned I replied, "No, that's not it at all. i wanted to ask you what you were doing Friday night. You see theres this benefit dance at the Town Hall and I was wondering if you wanted to go with me."

"Thanks, but no thanks. I don't even know you and besides, I have plans."

"Well, we could get to know each other. Come on, give me a chance, I'm really not all you're making me out to be. I'm not a Neanderthal. My treat?" I said smiling.

"Don't feed me that line of shit Duchene. I see you parade yourself around here with a different girl on your arm every other day. I'm not stupid, you are just what your soon to be profession implies, a player, and I for one, will not play the game. Not this time," she said storming off.

As I stood there and people walked past me I realized something. I realized it wasn't that she hated me, it was that she was scared to get hurt. Again. As I headed toward class I made it my mission to break her down and show her that she was the only girl I really wanted.