Status: finished

Eyes For You

The Past is the Past.

Arriving at the hall, there were already about a three dozen cars parked on each side of the road.

"What exactly is this benefit for anyway?" she asked as I opened the car door for her to let her out.

"It's to raise money for the homeless people around the world. We're trying to raise enough money to build a housing unit for anyone without a home to come in and reside for as long as they need."

"We?" she asked looking at me curiously.

Smiling I said, "Yes we, me and my father. I told you there was more to me than just a jock."

Rolling her eyes she stepped inside the hall. Looking around I could tell she was impressed. My dad and I had spent the past two days setting it up. There were white Christmas lights hanging from the ceiling and around the stage. Silver and pastel blue stars hung in various places, blue crepe paper was strewn from one side of the room to the other. Each table had a white table cloth with blue center pieces that held down a variety of balloons.

"Nice decor Duchene."

"Thank you," I said taking a little bow.

I escorted her to the table where we would be sitting, a table for two by the window that overlooked the pond behind the hall. The moonlight casting its shadow on the water.

"So what made you and your dad want to have this benefit dance?" she asked looking at me with her hands folded neatly on the table.

"Well, growing up, we haven't always been as well off as we are now. You see, I was born in a small town in Ontario and we were just barely making it. My dad lost his job shortly after my mom gave birth to my younger sister, making money really tight. I remember coming home from school to my mother crying at the eviction notice on our front door. Her and my father fighting at all hours of the night as to what we were going to do. Then one day I woke up and my mother was gone, leaving behind me, my sister and father. By the next week we were packing up our belongings and set out to find work for my dad wherever we could find it, landing us here in Minnesota. We spent numerous nights in our car eating nothing but cans of soup. So, when he landed his job as a marketing executive for the Wild, we decided to give back to the community so that people would always have somewhere to go and food to eat."

"Wow, I never knew that."

"Not many people do. Most people make the assumption that I'm a rich boy who hasn't had to deal with life's hardships, kind of like you did."

"Sorry about that," she said putting her head down.

"Hey, it's alright. I'm not here to make you feel bad about anything. I'm here because I want to get to know you."

"Oh yeah, and why is that."

"Because you are the only person who could care less if I played hockey or not, you treat me like a normal human being, unlike every other plastic girl in that school."

"This is true, so what do you want to know?"

"Well, what do you like to do for fun?"

"Believe it or not, I absolutely love taking photographs."

"Really? Like scenic photos or portraits, what kind?"

"Action, I love taking sports photographs."

"Seriously? The one that gives me the cold shoulder on a daily basis, loves sports?"

"Believe it or not, I;m actually an avid hockey fan."

I was blown away by this statement. "Then why is it that I never see you at our games?"

"I have my reasons," she said looking at the dance floor, "Hey, we didn't come here to talk all night, lets dance," she said changing the subject. I wanted to learn more but she was already half way across the dance floor bopping her head along to the music by the time I had stood. Someone on the team had hurt her, and I was going to figure out exactly who it was, one way or another.