Sequel: Their Rebellion

When the Sun Goes Down

Burial

Noah stood at the edge of Romeo's freshly dug grave, a hand pressed tightly against the twin's shoulders. Their heads bowed in respect for Romeo as Mama, Abby, Sean and I stood around him. I choked back multiple sobs as Mama and Abby patted at their wet eyes. With heavy hearts, Connor, Murphy and I had managed to dig Romeo a grave that over looked the crystal clear Virginia lake. I bit down on my bottom lip, trying my hardest to stay calm for everyone's sake.

Romeo lie, now peacefully, within his six foot grave, a large blanket covering his mutilated body. I wiped heavily at my eyes as Noah and the twin's rose their head for the first time this morning. Noah cleared his throat before saying, "Romeo was a Saint among us. He will not be forgotten. We'll hold hands as I lead us in prayer."

I pulled Mama and Abby's hand into my own, forcing the circle to complete itself all around. We bowed our heads in respect as Noah's strong voiced echoed out;

Our Father,
Who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done.
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
and lead us not into Temptation,
but deliver us from Evil.
Amen.


I whimpered quietly as I pulled my hands from their grasp. Mama looked up and gave me a comforting smile. She pulled me into a hug, where it was then that I lost control of my emotions. I wrapped my arms tightly around her neck before crying quietly into her shoulder. She rubbed her hands along my shoulder blades and tried her best to comfort me. I had yet to let my emotions slip through, but at a time like this, it was more than understandable.

The soft whimpering of Abby caught my ears and I pulled away from Mama. I looked over at Abby, who was begining to weep in sorrow. It might not be over Romeo, but over her mother, who lie lifeless in Delaware. It never dawned on me that she was recieving some sort of closure for her mother's death. I pulled Abby into a tight hug and let her cry into my chest. I brushed her hair back from her face and whispered, "It's okay, Abby. Let it out, sweetheart."

Sean looked up in our direction and frowned at Abby's out burst. He stepped over and rubbed a hand along her back. He looked up at Mama and I with a sad look.

"I'm sorry for your loss. He was a funny guy. He seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders."Sean frowned.

"Thankyou, sweetheart."Mama sniffled.

Sean turned toward the twins and Noah and quietly made his way over to them. Mama looked back down at Abby and I before pulling us both into a tight embrace.

"S'alright girls."She whimpered."He's in a better place now."

We stayed in place for quite some time before Mama said, "Let's go, girls. Let's give the boys some time alone."

I followed after Mama, holding Abby close to my side. She still wiped at her eyes as we made our way to the boys. Mama reached out to Connor and gently kissed him on the cheek. She did the same to Murphy and so on to Noah. I reached up toward Connor and pulled him into a tight hug. I sighed quietly and whispered, "I'm so sorry, Connor."

"S'alright, Adrienne."He whimpered.

I moved onto Murphy and took his hands gently in mine. He looked down at me and tried to force a comforting smile. I shook my head and said, "You can't hide it well, Murph."

He chuckled lightly as I pulled him into a hug. I quietly stated, "I'm so sorry, Murph. I'm here if you need me."

"Thankya, Adrienne."I pulled away and gave Noah a heart warming hug.

We left the boys alone and went back to camp. Sean was leaning up against the van, a sad look on his face. I sat down beside the small pit we claimed as a fire and brushed my hair back with my hands. Abby went to walk away from me, but I gently grabbed hold of her hand. She looked down, her bottom lip quivering in sadness.

"Come'er sweetheart."Abby sat beside me and yanked me into another hug.

She cried quite loudly into my shoulder and I tried my best to comfort her. Mama sat down beside Abby as well and rubbed her back softly. I looked up at Mama and gave her a sad look. She offered me a warm smile before looking down at Abby.

"Abby, ya'llright?"Mama asked.

"Y - yes."She whimpered.

She pulled away and wiped at her eyes. Mama took her hands in her own and gave her a warm smile. As politely as she could, she said, "Your Mama is alright, now. She's lookin' down on you and makin' sure you stay safe."

Abby nodded her head and wiped away her tears.

"You wanna help me pack up our things?"She asked."We're gonna get to goin' once this is over and done with."

"Okay."Mama got to her feet and helped Abby up.

"Come on, sweetheart."Abby and Mama walked away, leaving me to wallow in my thoughts.

Noah had come into the camp site, a cigar clung to his lips. I looked up at Noah and asked, "How are the boys doin', Noah?"

"They'll be alright in time."He smiled.

I sat by the ashes that were once a flame and poked sadly at it. It was nearly an hour before I realized that Connor and Murphy had yet to come back. I slowly climbed to my feet and met Mama and Abby by our car. I reached into the back and pulled out three water bottles. Mama gave me a confused look and asked, "Where you goin', Adrienne?"

"To check on the boys."I said softly."Give them some water. I'm sure they're thirsty."

"Just be careful."She frowned.

"I know, Mama."I walked away and headed towards Romeo's new grave.

I stepped through the brush and found Connor and Murphy sitting by the side of where Romeo lay. They looked up when they heard me and offered me a warm smile. They didn't seem as upset as before, but boys will be boys and hide their emotions. I stepped up to them and handed over a water bottle to each twin. Connor patted the dirt next to him and said, "Sit a while, why don't ya?"

I plopped in the dirt next to Connor and opened up my water. I sipped lightly from it as Connor and Murphy reached in their jeans for their cigarettes. They simultaneously lit their cancer sticks and let their heads fall. I starred down at the thick covered grave and felt my eyes well back up in tears. It wasn't like to me get upset over things, but I had made an exception here. My gaze was turned over when a cigarette was suddenly danging in between my eyes.

I looked over at Murphy, who held a small smile on his lips. With a low chuckle, I said, "What the hell."

I stuck it between my lips and watched as Connor held up his zippo. I took in a deep drag and said, "That zippo ain't gonna last forever ya know."

"Don't jinx me."He laughed.

"I just,"I stopped myself for a moment, unsure on what exactly to say to the boys.

They both turned in my direction and waited patiently waited for me to continue. I licked over my lips and shook my head.

"I'm here for you boys, no matter what. If you ever wanna talk, just come find me."I looked up and earned a genuine smile from the both of them.

"Thankya, lass."Connor said softly.

"We'll keep it in mind."Murphy said.

"Same goes fer yerself as well."Connor added."Any time."

"Thankyou boys."I looked up and stole another drag from my cigarette."I'm gonna find us a better place. Somewhere deep. I promise I wont let this happen again."

"Wasn't yer fault."Murphy commented.

"I feel like it was. I'll look in South Carolina. Gotta be something good down there. A few hours worth of drivin', but it'll be worth it. I'll make sure we're hidden even deeper."I sighed."I don't want another incident like this to happen."

"It wont, Adrienne. They happened to find us. S'alright."Connor said.

"It's not alright, Connor."I spat."We lost someone today."

"We know."Murphy sighed.

"You're actin' like it's no big deal! If I had found a better place,"I stopped for a moment and placed a hand over my lips.

I had welled up in tears once more and knew my next words would come out shakey. I tried to clear my throat to waste time, but I couldn't manage. Connor and Murphy looked over at me before frowning. Connor wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me into a tight hug.

"S'alright, Adrienne."Connor whispered."It's no one's fault."

I stole a swig from my water and swallowed hard. It may not be anyone's fault, but I damn sure felt like it had something to do with me. If I had managed to find a deeper hide out, Romeo would still be alive today.