Sequel: Their Rebellion

When the Sun Goes Down

All The Time In The World

I wiped the bead of sweat that was working it’s way across my forehead. I had been hand washing everyone’s clothes in the river for the last hour. I sat back onto my knees and kept dipping one of my tank top into the water, scrubbing it with what soap I had left over. I stopped, however, when the sound of breaking branches met my ears. I gripped my gun tightly and quickly spun around.

My aim was rested on nothing, no matter how hard I looked into the woods. I pushed it back into place and went back to what I was doing. Loudly, I said, “Sean, I ain’t washin’, so you better have a damn good reason to be out here!”

I dropped my tank top aside and wiped at my forehead once more. I gasped suddenly, though, when two strong, inked arms wrapped around my waist. I jumped slightly and turned, finding Murphy behind me. I chuckled lightly out of nerves and shook my head.

“You scared the shit outta me, Murphy.”I said softly.

He stayed silent for a moment and rested his head on my shoulder. I pulled my hands from the cold water and asked, “So, you gonna eat me yet or what?”

“Really?”He asked.

I shook my head when I realized how dirty I had made my question sound. I reached for another shirt, when Murphy tightened his arms around my waist. I stopped and felt his lips graze against my ear just so softly. I caught my breath in my throat as he whispered, “Did ya learn how to swim yet?”

“Don’t -”I was roughly pulled to my feet and dragged ankle deep into the water.”Wait!”

“I wont drown ya, Adrienne.”Murphy chuckled.

“Wait,”I frowned.”I want to talk to you about somethin’ first.”

We sat back where we were and I took a handful of a new shirt. I dropped it into my lap and sighed quietly. Murphy most likely came here for one reason and one reason only; to talk to me about going to Ireland. I decided to break the ice first and mention it to him. I didn’t want him to think I purposely stayed awake to listen to them talk, but there was no other way to explain it.

Murphy sat in front of me and seemed a little uncomfortable. I gave him a warm smile and played with the shirt in my hand. Quietly, I admitted, “I heard you and Connor talkin’ about Ireland last night.”

“Ya did?”He breathed.

“I did.”I frowned.”Are we really goin’?”

“Well,”Murphy shifted in his seat to get more comfortable.”it all depends. Do ya want to go?”

“I don’t know.”I sighed.”Do you think it’s safe?”

Murphy turned his head away and frowned. He was just as clueless as the rest of us. Anything we did was risky, so I couldn’t blame them for wanting to head back home.

“I don’t know.”He whispered.”But it’s worth a shot, ya know?”

I crossed my legs and let my head drop a little. I was honestly worried about a lot of things. I wanted to make sure Abby lived a long, healthy life, even if it were in a viral zone. I wanted to find a place that had no infection running through it’s streets, but that was a long shot. Murphy placed a hand on my knee and I looked up to meet his gaze. His lips pulled up into a smile as he whispered, “We can try it. I wont let nothin’ happen to ya’s.”

I shrugged and shook my head. I replied with, “I’m just not too sure.”

“Ya worry too much.”Murphy smiled.

“It’s a bad habit of mine.”I chuckled.

“Ya gotta stop that.”He said.

“It’s like tellin’ the Irish to stop drinkin’.”I smiled.

“That hard?”He asked.

I laughed loudly and shifted onto my knees. Even though I had a lot of things running through my mind, I couldn’t help but realize that Murphy was pushing them away. He ran a hand over his chin and said slyly, “I know how to do it.”

“Do what?”I asked.

“Get yer mind off of this bullshit.”I tilted my head in confusion and only nodded.

“By?”I asked.

I let out a gasp when Murphy lurched forward and took me into the sand. I let out a laugh when he began to drag me toward the water. I tried to pull away from him, but in the end, we both ended up in the river. I held onto his shoulders tightly, hoping he wouldn’t let me go like the first time, and smiled. I looked up at Murphy and said, “Can I think this Ireland thing over?”

“Ya have all the time in the world, Adrienne.”He said softly.