Status: slow, slow, very slow.

Lillith's Letters

Prologue One

Grey. Dreary. Dull. Lonely.

Those were the words that described not only the weather, but his feelings. His life. Gabriel Valentine continued to look upon the outside scenery through the large window, his face crestfallen. He watched as the people shuffled off to find shelter form the rain. Some were huddled under umbrellas and others under newspapers. But it’s not liked any of those little details mattered. All Gabriel knew was that the rain was a nuisance, even if he wasn’t outside underneath its never-ending shower. He sighed heavily and pulled the velvet curtain to the side, hiding the depressing scenery outside.

In his earlier years, the rain never really bothered him; he practically welcomed its arrival. He would spend long periods of time just standing and being completely drenched. The rain made him feel pure, clean, most of all reborn. But now, the rain only made him feel guilty.

It was one month ago today, that his wife Lillith disappeared. And it was raining just like it was today. His beloved wife’s disappearance was so sudden. She had just gone out to market like she had always done, and never returned. Simple as that. But how could have no one seen what had happened? Was she forced away by someone? Did she just leave town and plan to never return? Or did she just fade into thin air? Any of those scenarios could’ve been possible, Gabriel thought. It was just a mystery never meant to be solved.
Gabriel rubbed at his temples, just trying to rack at his brain for the answers he so desperately wants. He would give anything to know what happened to his wife. He would give anything. He would give everything. Even his dying soul. He leaned against the wall and slumped onto the floor.

“I’m sorry.” He croaked softly, before he began to sob. Just what the hell was he living for again? What was it he was living for now that she was gone? He was brought of his thoughts as he heard the door creak. He raised his head slightly, his dull red eyes leering at the intruding presence. A small boy timidly poked his head from behind the door.

“Papa?” he whispered, “Papa, are you in here?”

The tears continued to flow from Gabriel’s eyes freely. This boy was all he had left of her. His only treasure, his only light, his only reason for living now. His son.

“I’m right here.” He answered shakily, wiping his face clean. The boy scuffled across the room and into his father’s arms.

“Why are you all by yourself papa? Isn’t it bedtime?” the small one asked innocently.

“I should be asking you the same question. Why are you still up?” The boy looked at his toes, shifting from side to side.

“I couldn’t sleep.” He simply replied. Gabriel mouth formed into a small smile. He slowly staggered to his feet, and then lifted the boy into his arms once more.

“Come on now, let’s get some rest.” The boy wrapped his arms around his father’s neck and clung for dear life.

“I don’t wanna be by myself papa.” He whimpered. Gabriel found his arms tighten around the boy.

“I don’t want to be alone either.”

Gabriel exited his room and walked down the hall, and into his son’s room. He gently lowered the boy into the bed, and brought the dark brown blanket up to his chin.

“All snug now?” he asked with a smile. The young one smiled back and nodded.

“Can you stay here tonight papa?” Gabriel ruffled the boy’s dark hair and gingerly climbed into the bed next to his son.

“Of course I will.”

The two were tucked in, and in no time the young one’s eyes fluttered shut and drifted into dreamland. Gabriel felt his own eyes begin to slowly close, but a small fear tugged at his mind. If he were to close his eyes would his son disappear too? He softly took the boy’s small hand in his own. This was his remaining lifeline. The only thing keeping him tied to this world. He would be damned if this would be taken away.

“I’ll be strong for you.” Gabriel promised his sleeping son. He had to be strong not only for the boy, but for Lillith, wherever she may be. Shaking the bothersome thoughts from his head, he shifted closer to the sleeping boy. He kissed his son’s brow before letting the sleep overcome him.

“I love you Key, my precious treasure.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really nervous about this. This story has been in my head for almost over a year and now I'm finally committed to writing it out entirely. This is going to be a bumpy ride, so please forgive any spelling/grammar errors or just the sheer ridiculousness of this story.

Feel free to drop a comment if you'd like. Please? xD

-bailey <3