Baby, It's Fact

My One and Only

It’d been an hour and nearing two. She ordered a drink, ordered breadstick, and then an appetizer. The table filled with glasses and plates as she waited and hoped it wouldn’t be like the last few dates. She spent most of the time wondering what it meant, how he could forget about her so many times in a row. He promised her that morning and the night before that he’d showed. Justin told he had practice until five, and then he’d be there by six. It was nearing eight and he hadn’t shown up, leaving her frustration and disappointed.

Dani paid the bill herself, slipping back out the front entrance alone. Once she ducked down into her car, pushing the key into the ignition, she finally took the breath she’d been holding in since the start of dinner. It stung more this time, but only because it was his third miss date but also because this was supposed to be their anniversary celebration. This was their third year together, and up until then, they’d been perfect. Justin was attentive and perfect up until now. Even on when they first started out, he would never miss a date or phone call. Now, she dialed his phone once, hanging up in frustration when it went straight to voicemail, skipping over whatever chance she had to tell him he forgot again.

She wasn’t going to allow herself to cry. It wasn’t worth it, not again. He wasn’t worth it again. The last time she let it happen it only hurt more. He was supposed t care about this, about this date, and about them. Dani bit down on her tongue, hitting the steering wheel with her palm in frustration. Picking up her phone, she redialed listening to the familiar message playing. Of course, he was always so cordial on the phone, apologizing for not answer; all words she scoffed at.

The message she left certainly wasn’t nice or sweet. The venom was evident in her words. She just kept asking why, dying to know what could ever stand in the way of their special night again. Maybe she was being too cruel, she didn’t care. Justin missed their two-year anniversary dinner, and it was the final straw in her book. Dani was done with him and his lack of attention. To her, she wasn’t rash or overly-cruel to him, he deserved it. The words were mean, but her heartbreak cancelled it all out.

When she hung up, she felt no better. Just still abandoned her, forgot about such a momentous night, and didn’t even bother trying to leave some warning message as to his disappearance. And then, she just yelled at him through the phone, leaving an awful message that he’d hear after he turned his phone. She tried reminding herself that he deserved it, that her actions were justifiable, but inside, she knew they weren’t. Tears filled her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. Justin promised to be there. He promised over and over after the last date he’d show up, proving all her doubts wrong. He didn’t though.

Going home wasn’t an option. Her parents would wonder why she came back so early. They’d ask her why she looked like she was crying. Of course, she loved them, but she couldn’t take their judging looks and constant questions. As much as she just wanted to curl up in her bed or go straight to the bottle of whiskey she’d hidden in her closet, she couldn’t. Dani drove by the street to home, not looking back as she continued towards the destination even she didn’t know.

Her only option was Kennedy. All her friends were busy or out-of-town. Everyone had dates and plans, not bothering to invite her knowing the special occasion. Home wouldn’t suit and staying with Justin was impossible now. He’d been moved out and touring for too long now, putting a strain on their already shaky relationship. Even being her brother, Kennedy never felt any need to keep up with her life, too tuned into the band or his own girlfriend to notice his kid sister. But now, she needed him. Maybe he’d care again, she hoped he would because there was no where else to turn except home and even Kennedy wouldn’t make her stay there under their parents’ watchful eye.

By the time she’d arrived and climbed the mountain of steps to her brother and his girlfriend’s apartment, Dani had already grown nervous. It wasn’t about him saying no or pushing her away, he’d never do that knowing she was distraught, but it was more a fear of judgement, that somehow he’d take Justin’s side and make her feel like a fool. Justin and he were friends, bands sharing the stage a few times before. Her own brother could easily take his friend’s side, making Dani feel even worse about the whole thing.

She knocked on the door a few times, stopping after she heard the bark of her brother’s dog and the sound of his footsteps moving closer. Kennedy pulled the door open a moment later, blocking the opening with his body awkwardly to keep the dog from darting out. Confusion was knit into his brow, his eyes immediately connecting with her. “Dani?”

It was already weird. Dani rarely went to her brother’s apartment alone. There were a few occasions where she’d attend the parties he and Em’s threw or drop off something their mother wanted them to have. She had spent the night once when she was too young to stay home alone but her parents went out of town for a weekend. But other than that, she was never there.

“Something wrong?” He smiled, opening the door wider, blocking the frantic dog behind him with his leg.

Dani watched him, not responding to his question or gesture. A blush rose to her cheeks as he stared at her. She focused on the spots of the tiled floor below her feet, hoping the awkwardness of the situation would disappear. Kennedy cleared his throat, recapturing her attention again. After he said her name one more time, she gave him a heavy frown, trying to find the words.

“I w-was just-just hoping to t-talk to you—“

“Dani.” He interrupted, reaching for her shoulder, “Do you wanna come in?”

She stepped inside quietly, unwrapping her coat from her frame. Her brother gave her a tight smile as he pushed the door shut behind her. “Where’s Em?” She asked, putting the coat into his outreached hand.

Kennedy gave her a quick smile, “She uh, went to visit her family for the week. I’m picking her up in a bit from the airport.”

Not answering, she stepped further into his home. Her hands brushed across his dog’s back, smiling at it. Kennedy’s hand extended out, encouraging her to take a seat on his couch. Their apartment wasn’t big or extravagant. It was exactly what she wished she and Justin had. He knew how ready she was to get out. Getting to live with Justin meant seeing him everyday and seeing her parents the way Kennedy did. It’s what she thought was happening that night, that he’d finally had found some place he thought they’d both like and he was ready to buy it for her.

Kennedy walked out of the room, dragging his pets away from her. “One minute.” He mumbled, the doors of the living room shutting behind him as she watched him pushed the dogs into the bedroom. As he slipped back into the room, he sent her a relieved smile, sitting down in one of the arm chairs.

Both were quiet for a few moments, watching the other.

“Y’know Ken,” She worked up a smile. “For a guy whose girlfriend’s been outta town for a week, your apartment’s awfully clean.”

A slight smirk broke through his concerned frown. “She’s had a stressful trip and I know how much she hates coming home to a mess.” A blush moved up his neck, a sheepish smile covering him then. “So I uh, figured I’d tidy up for her.”

Dani cooed, only making him glare at her more. “So when’s the wedding again, Ken?” She teased as the blush filled his cheeks. For that moment, it felt like home. It was like she and Kennedy and her parents were sitting around the dinner table for another dinner together. They’d all tease each other over everything, picking at each other’s insecurities and it made the sibling rivalry come out. In the end, the meal would end with a fight between the two that would force their father to dismiss himself before the meal finished.

“My wedding?” Kennedy scoffed, his lips curled into the same sly smirk that he wore so frequently when they were children. “Coming from the girl who was just at her second anniversary dinner tonight with a particularly talented musician.”

It brought her right back. She didn’t come to tease her brother or talk about Emily. Showing up at Kennedy’s door had nothing to do with a social or just to see her brother. She needed him to talk to her what to do. When her smile suddenly dropped, his did too. His eyes filled with the same concern, eyebrows tightening in response.

“Mom did tell me right, right?” He spoke softer, “About the date—“

Dani nodded, directing her attention out the window.

“Did it not go well?”

She shrugged.

“What happened?”

Her focus was on not crying, not in front of Kennedy. Tears welled up in her eyes and it was obvious she was hurt by Justin’s actions. Kennedy watched her, his smile sinking and confusion evident in his face. “Dani?” He asked again, leaning forward in his chair and ducking down, trying to capture her attention. “Did Justin do something?”

“He’d have to show up to do something.” She scoffed, looking at her brother again. Concern tugged at his features, making her feel more uncomfortable about coming to him.

“What?” He frowned, his tone losing its gentleness. “What’d he do?”

Shifting in her seat, she worked to find the right way to say it. Justin was his friend and she didn’t want to ruin that. Kennedy kept his protective stare, waiting for her to say whatever it was that she showed up to tell him. “N-nothing.” She stuttered out, biting her lips. “J-just he, uh…didn’t sh-show up for our d-date. That’s all.”

“That’s all?” He scoffed, “Your boyfriend of two years didn’t show up to your anniversary dinner?”

She could only nod and look away.

“Dani.” He spoke sternly, making her head rise. “What happened?”

Taking a deep breath, she folded her hands across her lap. She looked for some distraction to escape his gaze but nothing overpowered the way his eyes looked at him. “Fine.” She breathed, leaning forward. “Justin was supposed to show at restaurant and he didn’t. It’s the third date he’s missed, Ken. I don’t understand why I’m suddenly the least important thing in his life. It’s been two years.”

Kennedy gave her a soft smile, watching her fingers pick at the loose threads on the couch. “He’s a musician, Dani.”

She was sick of that excuse. Justin used it on her too often. His career was in the way of their time together. Every moment he wasn’t working with Nick and the guys he was off writing songs for Brighten or helping friends compose songs. They never had enough time. Yet, she saw the way her brother could juggle it. Emily wasn’t ignored like she was. Nick’s girlfriend didn’t get pushed aside for his career. Dani was desperate for Justin to be like that too.

“And that means he can miss three dates, Kennedy?” She groaned, giving him a heavy glare.

“No.” He spoke slowly, waiting for her.

“This was such a fucking important night for us. And he ruined it.” She felt six again. She went to Kennedy, her big brother, to help her. The way he gazed at her, the way his jaw would tighten when she felt the tears well up, it was just like then.

Both were silent, shifting in their seats and looking away from the other for a few moments. The dog barked from the other room but neither reacted, continuing to wait.

“I j-just, I thought-thought he was gonna a-ask me tonight..” She whispered.

“Ask you?” Kennedy’s eyebrows scrunched together, his attention back on her. “Ask you what?”

The blush rose up her cheeks as she refolded her hands in her lap. “J-Justin said, be-before he left-left for tour, that when he got back, we could look for a place together.”

A smile immediately filled Kennedy’s face. “Really?”

Dani nodded, embarrassed. However, before either could speak another word, Kennedy’s phone started frantically ringing and his attention was ripped from her. The moment he spoke into the receiver, Dani knew he was talking to Emily. Apologizes spilled from him over and over as he spoke to her, rising from the chair. She waited for him to drop the device from his ear and turn back to her.

“Em’s plane’s arrived.” He said as he pushed the living room doors open, pulling his shoes onto his feet. “You’re welcome to stay the night.” Kennedy twisted around again, running his hand through his short hair, searching for something. “And you’re welcome to the fridge or anything you want.” She saw him sigh when he found the car keys and wallet waiting on the coffee table. “I’ll be back in an hour or so.”

His eyes finally reached hers again. His tight smile had disappeared for a more excited one. Kennedy slipped his arms through the sleeves of his hoodie, zipping the zipper straight up until it stopped below his chin. “Everything’s gonna be alright, sis.”

Before he pulled the door open, she mumbled out a quick thanks to him. Kennedy sent her a smile as he pulled the door closed behind, leaving her alone in the apartment. It was a first time for this too. Being in Kennedy’s apartment was strange enough, but being here alone felt so foreign. She rose from the couch, pushing her has behind her ear as she stepped to the other side of the room, looking at the bookshelves lining the wall.

She moved around the apartment silently, looking over everything her brother and his girlfriend had. Books and CDs filled the shelves. His guitars hung from the walls. It was their apartment. That’s what she wanted with Justin; a space they’d share. She could paint the walls blue and he could set up his record player. They could make it Justin and Dani’s place. Her parents could spot by and know she was happy there.

The knock on the door startled her. Quickly, she advanced back into the entryway, assuming it was only her brother. When she pulled the door open however, her brother wasn’t standing there with the sheepish smile and the set of apologies ready. Justin gave her a quick smile, it disappearing when hers did.

“Dan—“ He mumbled quickly, pushing his hand against the door when she went to close it on him. “Just…wait.”

“Wait?” She scoffed, “I’ve done plenty of waiting, Justin.”

“I’m sorry—“

“You’re sorry?” She repeated, her voice low. “You’re sorry for what, Justin? For missing our third date in a row? Or for the fact that since you’ve gotten back from tour I’ve gotten to see you twice? Because honestly, I can’t figure out what’s worse.”

She watched him look away suddenly, his lips parting as they both waited for him to respond. “I know Dani. I’ve been a jerk to you these last few months—“

“Worse than a jerk.” She scoffed, crossing her arms across her chest.

He slipped inside, interrupted her train of thought. His hands brushed across her waist as he made his way through the rooms, stopping when she grabbed his arm. Justin gave her a slight smile again, hoping it would win her over, but Dani didn’t budge, trying to drag him back to the door.

“Dani…” He sighed, brushing her hand off him. “Please, lemme explain.”

“I don’t care.” She spat. “I don’t care about whatever excuse you’re gonna tell me. They’re like lies now.”

Justin grabbed her wrist, stopping her attempts at making him leave. “I’m sorry.” He mumbled again, pulling her closer to him. “I’m so sorry and you’re right, I’ve lost your trust and I owe you an explanation.”

She only crossed her arms across her chest, stepping away from him. “I don’t—“

“I’m writing. I’m in writing mode and it makes everything else second to it.” He stopped her words, looking at her once again with apologetic eyes. “I-I mean, not th-that I want anything to be second to you.”

“And yet, it’s our two-year anniversary and I sat at a restaurant alone for an hour, Justin.” She spat. “I’m tired of waiting to be a priority.”

He lifted his hand, reaching to push the hair from her face but she stepped away from his touch, looking behind him. Just only followed her step, brushing her hair from her eyes with a kind smile. “I’m really sorry, Dani.” He spoke again, standing closer. “Please forgive me?”

Dani shook her head, pushing him away some. “Justin.” She groaned.

“Dani.” He smiled, “I’ll make it up to you, okay? Tomorrow. Tomorrow, we’ll spend the whole day together and cook you dinner.”

“Really?”

He smiled. “I promise.”

“And no band stuff?”

“None.” His words were reassuring, “I told the guys I’m gonna be with you for the next few days.”

“Few days?”

He nodded, pecking her lips once. “I figured we’d give ourselves a little time.”

She wrapped her arms around his waist, tightening her grip in him. Just pressed another kiss to her lips, his hands cupping her jaw. Dani couldn’t bite back the smile. It was relief. He didn’t say next week or in a few days. Justin promised her tomorrow. Tonight, she could curl into her bed knowing she’d see him when she woke.

He kissed her again and again, each one longer and softer than the last. It felt nice to feel his hands on her again, thumbs running down her jaw and neck. There was no rush, no reason to speed up. Justin could simply hold her, kissing her kindly, until all her anger slipped away and she could sigh his name again. His arms coiled around her hips, pulling her body against his as he kissed her more.

“Did you even get an anniversary present?” She mumbled against his lips, a thick smile still covering her.

Justin chuckled, unwrapping his arms from her. “Of course.”

He pulled the small key from his pocket, holding it up for her to see. “I know I said we’d go look, and we will once all this writing’s done for the new record, but until then, I was hoping you’d move into my place with me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
3,191 words.
For Danicakes.